Ant Attack

SoloFlyer

Anyone else having ant problems recently??

What good solutions available in CM?? - need to consider child safety too.

A search came across 'Lemonene' - anyone seen it in CM??

There is a small plastic "trap" containing some ant food which they take to their nest, destroying it. It is sold in most supermarkets, the name is ARS (no E) for under 100 baht. Stick it anywhere the ants frequent, I used only one and moved it around my apartment whenever I remembered it. It is highly effective, within a few days you should see them disappear.

Edited by stolidfeline

Anyone else having ant problems recently??

What good solutions available in CM?? - need to consider child safety too.

A search came across 'Lemonene' - anyone seen it in CM??

We had a problem with ants in the kitchen a few months ago. Used ARS ANT KILLER. It consists of a small trap containig HYDRAMETHYLNON....0.9%...whatever that is! The ants take it back to the colony and it destroys the whole nest. wwwdotarsdotcodotth

We haven't seen an ant since...100% effective. I know it is available at Tops and probably elsewhere.

~

They come in search of food so cleanliness is of utmost importance.

The little tiny ones seem to be the major pests so I mix a 50/50 solution of honey and water and apply it outside of our windows and doors.

When they gather around that, I gently spray an insecticide at that site and along their trail and they don't come back.

Like any house in Thailand they all get their share of creepy crawlies, and mine was no exception, but I seem to have found the answer. I always had the odd cockroach popping up the bathroom drain, and it never really bothered me. Then I got termites in some of the timber, so time to call the local pest company.

They sprayed everything that moved and didn't move, and cured the termite problem, but said that I should have a "top up" spray done every two months. I thought it was the usual sales pitch, but the cost was minimal, and agreed.

All of that was a year ago, and in that time I have not seen one ant, or cockroach anywhere!! :)

ATM powder will sort out ants termites wasps the lot,75 baht at most hardware stores,it is permethrin as are most of these products so can sort you out as well,place it at the entrance to the nest or on the trail 1 teaspoon is enough to destroy the whole nest as they carry it inside.

Below info from some other TV threads on ants and least toxic approach. But what Dustoff points out is the first line of defense, hygiene - if you feed them they will come.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/antbait267.shtml

krod boric

(กรดบอริก)

"I got some boric acid from an Opthamologist in Chiangmai. My daughter had a sty and he prescribed the Boric acid.

I can't help with BKK, but here in Chiang Mai you can buy it cheaply in half kilo tubs from the small chemical supply shop on Suthep Road pretty much directly opposite the teaching hospital (on the left if you are heading up Suthep Road away from the moat).

BTW I make my own ant killer using Boric acid and it is amazingly effective - I've gone from inundated to NO ants inside my home. Love it!

The recipe I have used can be found at http://quantumrelativity.calsci.com/Recipes/AntDeath.html and has worked great for me. Their advice of simply leaving puddles on the floor for ants instead of using containers seems to work well for me: getting much easier uptake by the ants.