Island Fever

Having lived for some time on Jersey, Guernsey and Shetland I have found the need to escape from the rock on a regular basis. Usually every three months or so.

If I don't I start to go a bit nuts. Just wondered how you feel about spending long times stuck just on one small island and how often you feel the need to get away for a few days?

Having lived for some time on Jersey, Guernsey and Shetland I have found the need to escape from the rock on a regular basis. Usually every three months or so.

If I don't I start to go a bit nuts. Just wondered how you feel about spending long times stuck just on one small island and how often you feel the need to get away for a few days?

same schedule as you, in fact i am due this month :)

Three months is about my limit too. When I first came to Koh Phangan, I must say I had serious issues adjusting to being stuck on a rather small island with very limited facilities. But, after 6 years or so, I eventually adjusted :)

I lived on Phangan for 7 years with only one 'return to reality' (home) in that time,If I were ever to that again i think a trip away, at least to Bangkok or preferably back home or even to another western country is needed at least once a year.

A change back to a normal, for me, Australian or European climate is good for you as well as staying in touch with friends and family, if only to keep your feet on the ground again.

In Australia we call it 'going troppo' -when someone has lived up north in the tropics too long and gone bit crazy, the change to wet season really plays havoc with some peoples minds believe it or not.

Living on the Islands is paradise but you need to get away back home for a break to really appreciate it.

have always loved living on islands,from the isle of wight in the UK to the whitsunday islands in northern queensland australia and now samui,but i too need to get off samui from time to time,and i use my non immigration O for this and do a little trip every 90 days.

There's something about island life,making it different from mainland life that i like.

have always loved living on islands,from the isle of wight in the UK to the whitsunday islands in northern queensland australia and now samui,but i too need to get off samui from time to time,and i use my non immigration O for this and do a little trip every 90 days.

There's something about island life,making it different from mainland life that i like.

Bali was big enough to take nice road trips and that is probably the big difference for me, i like to do long road trips and samui is just too small.

I was pretty much tired of the island when I left in early August. Now it's around 0C where I am and I can't wait to get back this weekend even if for a short time. Frostbite tends to do that to a person.

I'm just in the process of trying to change my filght back so I can fly this weekend too. The weather has definitely taken a turn here in London. And not for the better.

I am generally so busy too... that don't give much thought to getting away, often, there are tons of great places to see here... plus my garden keeps me occupied too... I've been here a little over a year now, & quite happy to stay put...

I too lived on KP & found that just too tedious... lovely place to stay for a vacation, & I do head over there occasionally... but this is "home" now!

When I lived on Samui and Phangan, every 3 months at least to keep me sane.

Now I am on the mainland, I actually have to leave every 2 months, but that is mainly because I live in a very Thai area and I need to get my farang fixes. But leaving is so much simpler. And it is sooo good to know I can jump on a plane and be in Bangkok within an hour, rather than the 15 hours it used to take from Phangan.

Oooh, for me, HomePro is like going to the big city :)

HomePro for me is like walking mid-scene into the set of some zombie film - a cavernous store with a hundred or so clueless staff clustered around points of self-interest (video screens), and outnumbering customers 20:1. Tesco Lotus seems almost the reverse - customers outnumbering pockets of clueless staff by 100:1.