Lufthansa 3-day Sale

theoldgit

I noticed that Lufthansa are advertising a three day sale in today's press, with prices to Europe at 5,000 Baht, plus taxes and surcharges. You have to book from today until Thursday, with travel from 1st December until the end of June 2010.

I certainly found seats available at 5,000 Baht for the dates I was interested in but was a little shocked at the extra charges of 20,000 Baht for the extras on flights to the UK, though I suppose 25,000 Baht is still not a bad price.

Other European countries had lower charges presumably because they do not impose the same APD as the outgoing Labour Government are now charging.

Just booked two tickets to Birmingham for the Great Songkran Escape. A bit under £1k in total but I'm quite happy with that - substantially less cost than anything else I've found. Only problem was that the discounted fares didn't seem to operate until after the Easter holidays had finished - at that time of year - so the earliest outbound flight at the cheap price was on April 16.

The Lufthansa web site seems to be a bit overloaded today, understandably, so you need to be patient and persistent. I got the booking confirmation in the end though. Now just need to organise a visa for the missus but as she's had two before I'm not anticipating any problems with that.

The sale finishes on 05 November.

DM

Word to the wise. I just tried to book one of these flights and decided to go ahead and register as a Lufthansa customer.

I gave them a permanent address in the US, and that was a mistake.

They closed the offer to me, because it's not valid in the US.

Duh.

Now I have to kill the cookie and start over.

Word to the wise. I just tried to book one of these flights and decided to go ahead and register as a Lufthansa customer.

Duh.

I signed up for the 'Miles & More' frequent traveler thing and just gave them my Thailand address. This worked OK and I got the temporary membership card immediately - well, at the second attempt actually as the first one that I downloaded didn't have my name and number on it for some reason. 2nd time was OK.

The cost of the two tickets to Birmingham has just appeared on my credit card account - GBP 903.75, corresponding to 48470 Baht, so I got an effective exchange rate of 53.63. Not too bad in the current financial climate.

DM

Duh.

I signed up for the 'Miles & More' frequent traveler thing and just gave them my Thailand address. This worked OK and I got the temporary membership card immediately - well, at the second attempt actually as the first one that I downloaded didn't have my name and number on it for some reason. 2nd time was OK.

The cost of the two tickets to Birmingham has just appeared on my credit card account - GBP 903.75, corresponding to 48470 Baht, so I got an effective exchange rate of 53.63. Not too bad in the current financial climate.

DM

What days are you going on out of interest? Every flight I'm trying to book is over 120k for 2 people. Thanks

Just booked two tickets to Birmingham for the Great Songkran Escape. A bit under £1k in total but I'm quite happy with that - substantially less cost than anything else I've found. Only problem was that the discounted fares didn't seem to operate until after the Easter holidays had finished - at that time of year - so the earliest outbound flight at the cheap price was on April 16.

The Lufthansa web site seems to be a bit overloaded today, understandably, so you need to be patient and persistent. I got the booking confirmation in the end though. Now just need to organise a visa for the missus but as she's had two before I'm not anticipating any problems with that.

The sale finishes on 05 November.

DM

Not sure of your date but for fun I just tried on Emirates website to Birm...

From Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Thailand (BKK)

To Birmingham, Birmingham International Airport, United Kingdom (BHX)

To Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Thailand (BKK)

Departing Friday, 9 April, 2010 Passengers 1 Adult

Returning Friday, 16 April, 2010 Cabin Economy View Results by Schedule Modify search

Option 1

THB 44030.00

for 1 passenger(s) (Fare THB 39955.00 + Taxes THB 4075.00)

OUTBOUND Bangkok, Thailand to Birmingham, United Kingdom

Flight

Depart / Arrive

Time

Airport

Duration / Stops

Class / Aircraft

EK385

Fri

09 Apr 10

01:25 Suvarnabhumi International Airport (BKK) 6hr 5min

0 Stops Economy

Boeing 777-300

Fri

09 Apr 10

04:30 Dubai International Airport (DXB)

Connection

EK039

Fri

09 Apr 10

08:05 Dubai International Airport (DXB) 7hr 30min

0 Stops Economy

Boeing 777-300ER

Fri

09 Apr 10

12:35 Birmingham International Airport (BHX)

INBOUND Birmingham, United Kingdom to Bangkok, Thailand

Flight

Depart / Arrive

Time

Airport

Duration / Stops

Class / Aircraft

EK038

Fri

16 Apr 10

21:20 Birmingham International Airport (BHX) 7hr 0min

0 Stops Economy

Boeing 777-300ER

Sat

17 Apr 10

07:20 Dubai International Airport (DXB)

Connection

EK418

Sat

17 Apr 10

08:50 Dubai International Airport (DXB) 6hr 20min

0 Stops Economy

Boeing 777-300ER

Sat

17 Apr 10

18:10 Suvarnabhumi International Airport (BKK)

Duh.

DM

What days are you going on out of interest? Every flight I'm trying to book is over 120k for 2 people. Thanks

Outbound 16 April

Inbound 02 May

Everything over the Easter period was a lot more expensive - 16 April was the first cheap date. Haven't really checked other periods but I guess that the cheap fares won't be available in high season periods, like Xmas. Lufthansa do, of course, say, 'From 5000 Baht', so no surprise that some (most?) fares will be higher. I did check flights to Rome, in February, for an Italian friend and those were just a bit cheaper than my Birmingham flights so it's all down to the destination and the travel dates I guess.

DM

So Emirates is 90k for 2 adults. Around double compared to LH ?

about the same from what I gather,,,, I would check Etihad but I can never get the site to work without a hitch.

Emirates to LH return

Returning

Tue 13 Apr

(THB)

Returning

Wed14 Apr

Returning

Mon19 Apr

(THB)

(THB)

Selected Dates:

Departing: Fri 09 Apr

Returning: Fri16 Apr

Price :

THB

*Total price in THB, including return airfare, taxes, and fees for 1

Typical Lufthansa bait and switch

Total PricePrice

(per person) 5000.00 + Taxes, fees and charges 16655.00 x 1 Adult = THB 21655.00

(per person) Passengers

Total

Ticket Service Charge (Total) = THB 500.00

Total Price for all passengers 22155.00= THB 22155.00

It is ludicrous bordering on misadvertising to qoute 5,000 fare + 20,000 fees/charges.

Anyone considering buying should compare TOTAL COSTS. Anything else is just games with our money.

Not so long ago I remember fees/charges amounting to some small change, about 10% of the ticket price. Wonder what happened in the last 20 years????

• 2 weeks later...

Booked return to Manchester for 2-17 April for Bt24,445. Last year I paid about Bt44,000 with EVA (economy) and BMI. The Lufthansa 747 fleet does not have individual TVs in economy class, which is a bit of a bummer, but for less than Bt25,000 I can't really complain.