Air Asia To London Stansted

Lannatyne

Prices on "proper airlines" for return flights between here and UK are ludicrous. So, I've succumbed to using Air Asia out of KL for our trip back to UK next year. At a saving of around 60,000 baht for 3 full price tickets (and 90 Kg of luggage on the way back!), it's hard to refuse!

After a trip to Australia with them earlier, I said I would never again use an airline with a "short-haul business model" on a long haul service. It was a hard 8 hours to down under. But, when you're saving that much cash, it's hard to turn down in this economic climate.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience on the KL - Stansted flights to give me a 'comfort rating'? Thank for any info.

Prices on "proper airlines" for return flights between here and UK are ludicrous. So, I've succumbed to using Air Asia out of KL for our trip back to UK next year. At a saving of around 60,000 baht for 3 full price tickets (and 90 Kg of luggage on the way back!), it's hard to refuse!

After a trip to Australia with them earlier, I said I would never again use an airline with a "short-haul business model" on a long haul service. It was a hard 8 hours to down under. But, when you're saving that much cash, it's hard to turn down in this economic climate.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience on the KL - Stansted flights to give me a 'comfort rating'? Thank for any info.

A good friend here (he is a London PC - copper) and his wife have done that KL-> r/t on AirAsia twice and have recommended it to me as very much OK.

I flew KL to Stansted with Air Asia in September this year and it was ok, not much legroom, no free drinks etc. but it was fine. Flew Thai before and although there was (a bit) more legroom it wasn't really noticeable. Being in a plane for that length of time is sh1t anyway so unless you're forking out grands for 1st or business I would say there's not that much difference.

Saved £200 on the flight(s) so I was more than happy. Definitely use them again. Also, depending on where you're going in the UK, Stansted is a dream compared to Heathrow.

Just checked their prices

KL to Stansted for next march came in at 20k.................then add the price of Bkk to KL return and its more than 27k

Where air asia get you is with the "extras".......baggage charge/ blanket charge/ food charge

Problem is......the flight from the UK gets in to KL after the last flight to BKK leaves........so that means a night in a hotel in KL

Went with Lufthansa............with their special deal it was only 25k

KL to Stansted for next march came in at 20k.................then add the price of Bkk to KL return and its more than 27k

Where air asia get you is with the "extras".......baggage charge/ blanket charge/ food charge

Problem is......the flight from the UK gets in to KL after the last flight to BKK leaves........so that means a night in a hotel in KL

Just to put you all in the picture (thanks, BTW for responses), my costs in £'s / times are this:

3 full fares Phuket - KL - Stansted, then Stansted - KL - Phuket, came to £1200. This included 30Kg baggage allowance each (90Kg total) on way back for a few 'food treats'!

Stansted arrival at 10pm is a bit of a pain, but acceptable.

Return gives a same day connection to Phuket, with only 3 hours wait at KL LCCT.

As I said, an average of £400 each virtually door-to-door is not to be sneezed at. And i get some good pickles, mustard, garden peas, ginger snaps, etc, etc.

If you book early enough you can get some very good deals with AA.

I have BKK-KL-STAN return for a shade under 19k bht but that was booked as soon as the seats became available early this year.

Be aware its 13 hrs in v small seats

If delayed note trains end around 0030 but there are coaches to golders green Victoria and Liverpool street all night

For newbies he KL terminal is not KlIA so allow an hour transfer if changing hubs

AA flies from KL LCCI where there are good range shops food and a hotel but a long way from habitation

There are coaches into city 90 mins about 90 baht as I recall althogh you can book online too

Bon Voyage I came back with LTU much better

Be aware its 13 hrs in v small seats

If delayed note trains end around 0030 but there are coaches to golders green Victoria and Liverpool street all night

Just take an aspirin and a sleeping pill.... :)

Arrival time is a no way for flight connection, and a night in London for waiting for a RyanAir flight cancel any advantage of AA, air berlin in low season is cheap and much much better....

• 2 weeks later...

I have BKK-KL-STAN return for a shade under 19k bht but that was booked as soon as the seats became available early this year.

Same here, I have just done Stanstead-KL and back but paid the £25 for return extra legroom and got a free upgrade to same on way out.

Enjoyed flight, but I did book very early.

Well I'm back in the UK after the first part of our 19k bht flight.

Seats were as (un)comfortable as any other I have been in.

What was worse was the 14 hour KL to Stanstead leg of the trip.

Not for me again in the future I'm afraid.

Now if they did BKK to Stanstead direct that would be another matter.

Also becareful regarding you luggage allowence, on a recent trip to Phnom Penh with 3 mates, they wouldn't allow the four of us to pool our luggage, even though altogether we were less than the 15 kg each they charged extra luggage cost to two of the guys who's bags were overweight.

Also becareful regarding you luggage allowence, on a recent trip to Phnom Penh with 3 mates, they wouldn't allow the four of us to pool our luggage, even though altogether we were less than the 15 kg each they charged extra luggage cost to two of the guys who's bags were overweight.

I would have just swapped over some of the luggage to even it out.

I still don't think you can beat them for price if you book well in advance I booked in June for a March 2010 flight KL to Stanstead one way 4,284.50 THB including food and 20kg luggage allowance.

I've flown a couple of times with them minor delays but no worse than other airlines, a little uncomfortable, they are my airline of choice at the moment based purely on cost

I would have just swapped over some of the luggage to even it out.

After 4 days sightseeing etc in Cambodia, the last thing the airport needs is me getting my dirty socks out at check in.... :D:)