Ed Visa For Internship - In Penang?

I entered Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa issued in Hull, for a holiday. It expires early December.

While here I have been offered an internship that relates to my course of study, for three months. I've been told to apply for an ED visa.

My questions.

- will a letter from the organisation I'm doing the internship with suffice? It's not a school, so I'm not enrolling in a course or anything like that, but doing internship as part of my studies.

- will Penang grant me this? What is the likely turnaround? If I give them my passport on Monday morning will I have it back by Tuesday afternoon?

Cheers!

Suspect unlikely you will obtain multi-entry visa within the region. Single entry visa (Penang will issue) would give 90 day permission to stay and then normal process is to renew permission to stay at Thai immigration. If you need to travel within this timeframe you can obtain re-entry permit from immigration (1000 baht single entry; 3800 baht multiple entry) to keep your permission to stay alive.

As you are returning to the UK in February, would suggest obtaining new multi-entry visa at honorary consulate there if necessary, as issuing requirements are somewhat more relaxed than in the region.

Internships are allowed and believe do not require a work permit, but must be trough a Thai educational institution. The internship must also be reported to the proper authorities, as not to put you into trouble because of not having a work permit.

Can't tell you if a letter from the organisation will be sufficient. often it is enough, but suspect conulates in the area have become stricter now.

Edit: missed you wanted a muliple. With Thaiphoon I think you can forget about that in the region.

From my undersatnding you will not be able to get an ED Visa for doing an internship.

Unless the internship is for a required internship for a Thai university you are attending where you will be getting credit and a grade for the internship... it is not considered an internship for work and visa purposes.

In you case, I believe they just consider it "working" and all of the visa and Work Permit regualtions will the same for you as for any other person working in Thailand.

Thanks for the responses - guess I will go for single entry then.

Mario - what do you mean about my internship going through a Thai educational institution? I have no links to any and they have nothing to do with my studies. What about a letter from my UK uni instead? Saying they sponsor my internship?

As per post of CWMcMurry, it will probably be seen as working and not as a internship as part of your study as there is no Thai educational institution involved. Otherwise put, you are not studying in Thailand and your internship has nothing to do with studying in Thailand.

We don't see many questions about this, so I might be wrong, but be sure to inquire about needing a work permit or not and don't go about the advice of the organisation where you will be an intern.

Just as an fyi...

You do not quaslify for a student visa because you are "a student" you can only qualify for a student visa if you are "a student at a Thai instiution and have a letter from that institution stating as much".

And that institution must be licenced by the Ministry of Education... and a letter from the Ministry certifying this, must go with your application to the Consulate.

I realise that Hull consulate seem rather lenient, but their definition of an ED visa is for research, study, training, conference, workshop etc - basically anything that doesn't fit in any other category... As I am now doing research via my internship, for my studies, that was my reason for wanting an ED visa.

Also the visa lady at my organisation suggested ED visa.

I take it the O option for visiting family only counts if your family is Thai? Unless I go outside Asia?

I take it the O option for visiting family only counts if your family is Thai? Unless I go outside Asia?

You will only obtain Non-O visa within the region on basis of Thai wife/Thai child/being over 50. Outside Asia there are a shrinking number of honorary consulates still issuing Non-O visa to visit friends, Hull being one of them. You can obtain WP on Non-O visa if required.

Nothing to do with hospitals - the internship will be with an international organisation. But as it is unpaid and I will get no staff rights, I have to sort out the visa myself.

Why not go as a volunteer, might be easier. but the organisation would have to appply for a work permit for you. Ask them if they are willing to do that and if they know how they do that.

With a letter form the organisation you would be able to get a non-O visa for volunteering. But have them apply for the WP first and se to get a WP3 form, which states that you will get a WP when you have your non-immigrant visa.