Laptop Repair In Chiang Mai

Greenside

Before I lose their business card just a recommendation for Smart Tech on the third floor of Panthip Plaza on your right as you get off the escalator at the end where Office Depot is.

My UK brand laptop failed to show any sign of life last week and was diagnosed by Goodspeed as needing a motherboard repair. A second shop said it would need a replacement board at a cost of 4 - 5,000 baht but despite my (rather foolishly) telling Smart Tech that it needed a new mother board, they spent five minutes on it and got it working. "Locked up motherboard" they said, "no charge". How many places would have resisted the temptation to keep it for few days and charge me what I was expecting?

Their numbers are 0819 507 440 & 0817 835 920 and they have limited English.

Service like this should not go un-remarked.

Edited by Greenside

Thanks for that info, Greenside. That is what I like about this forum. Despite all the shenanigans, there are always people willing to help others... just as I saw some do on the thread about the new "Jacky bike" location. It certainly helps to know a reliable outlet where you aren't being "squeezed". And, it certainly doesn't hurt letting others know of reliable places.

I had a similar problem with my desktop. It just died. I thought it might be the power supply but when I went to get it repaired at the very very prominent merchant who sells HP, they told me it was a motherboard failure and could take 2 weeks to repair and a lot of money. . I took the computer to micro genesys in chiang mai land. they diagnosed it as a burnt out power supply, replaced it and had it up and running in less than 2 hours. they also gave me the burnt out power supply unit just to show that they had really replaced it. total cost was, i believe, 800 baht.

• 1 year later...

I endorse the comment ref the computer repair company above " micro genesys" - actually the correct name is MICROGENESIS

This small company has given me great service over the years. I’ve used them ever since my laptop suddenly went belly up one morning -- and I was leaving on an important business trip to BKK the next day.

On a friend’s recommendation, I called them in a panic, could they help?

Yes they said, and about an hour later, they were at my front door to collect it. They brought it back the next afternoon, working perfectly, well in time for the evening flight to BKK. Great!

The convenience is that they come to your house, and if it's a simple job, do a repair on the spot. If not, they'll take your machine away and deliver back to you, usually within 24 hours.

You can also order IT equipment from them, including laptops and PC’s plus printers, scanners etc. which are delivered and installed for you, thus removing the connection hassles if you’re not a geek. They also provide excellent after-sales service if something does go wrong.

I believe their prices are very competitive, but I would willingly pay a bit extra just for the service and the back up. It certainly beats trekking down to Phantip etc.

Khun Oh, the pleasant and knowledgeable Thai lady who runs Microgenesis, speaks good English. Her contact is 085-524-2121

Thank you for that guys; I am going to see if they can bring my HP laptop back to life!

A certain HP distributor said it needed a new motherboard.

Call this guy...Nik...he has serviced my PC...laptop and always comes up trumps. His appointments are usually in Thai time but allow 30 minutes and he will appear. ...400 baht per hour or however long it takes, for the same price and yes he does house calls for the same price. Tel: 0891-929761...and yes he speaks English.

Highly recommended as you will see in other forums. Chok Di!

Thank you for that guys; I am going to see if they can bring my HP laptop back to life!

Now there's a coincidence. I had an HP 6500 series notebook (the daughter has it now) which stopped working. The company I had bought it from ( no longer in Phantip but they are in Airport Plaza) also told me the motherboard was kanckered and it would cost quite a few thousand baht for replacement. The (I guess its the same) shop mentioned by the OP advised it was moisture and just needed a cleaning! Whatever it was I picked it up after a couple of days in working condition. I guess not a lot has changed in the past couple of years

Edited by Dellboy218

• 2 weeks later...

Was VERY impressed! His 1st suggestion was to call HP & check if the graphics card was covered under warranty - despite my laptop being over 3 yrs old. He called HP for me and they asked me to come in (very nearby) and they confirmed that if the graphics card is dead they'll replace it for free. If the motherboard needs replacing they'll call me with a price. If this is the case I'll go back to Smart Tech & have the utmost faith in the boys there. They could have recommended the graphics card repair that everyone else offered, but they gave me the customer orientated option first! Pretty rare this day & age.

They are on the 2nd floor by the way- two escalator rides up anyway. I asked around though and was quickly led to Smart Tech.

Call this guy...Nik...he has serviced my PC...laptop and always comes up trumps. His appointments are usually in Thai time but allow 30 minutes and he will appear. ...400 baht per hour or however long it takes, for the same price and yes he does house calls for the same price. Tel: 0891-929761...and yes he speaks English.

Highly recommended as you will see in other forums. Chok Di!

I agree with you that Nik is one of the best around as he does a fantastic job and l would highly recommend him

There is more information here. Not a computer shop. But home service. His mane is Mix. Phone number 087 579 975 8

Or http://facebook.com/MomentOfGroly

When i have problem with my PC & Laptop. But i do not want to lifting my heavy computer equipment around look for a shop to fix my computer.

Was one friend of my recommend me to his friend who is very good as computer overclocking.

So, i was asked him to check the viruses and other problems in my Laptop, also upgrade some software.

and back up my important data into the external hard drive as a image file. And clean up my hard drive for all the junk file.

So,there was no need for me to disconnect it all to take to a shop (and then worry about my private things on it).

He can go to your place and fix the problem at your place while you watch.( Good isn't ? )

Very reliable service at a fair price. And good English, too!

Edited by doglife

Update. Went to Smart Tech today with an issue with my laptop's DVD/CD player (prety much dead.) The technician checked the soft ware, then said the DVD/CD drive was bad. Replaced in about five minutes, B1,500. I didn't try to negotiate for a discount, maybe I could have done a little bit better :) They guaranteed the drive for one year which was good.

FYI, the shop is on the second floor now.

Chok dee krab!