Classic American Movies

Kickstand

I am looking for someplace in Bangkok that I ca rent or buy classic american movies from the 30's to 80's.

None of the copy places have them and if I order from the US, they are coded NTSC and not useful to me.

the dvd store in siam paragon has a corner with classic movies, might have a couple you'd want.

the one opposite the big cd music shop (they are actually the same store) on floor 3 or 4.

I am looking for someplace in Bangkok that I ca rent or buy classic american movies from the 30's to 80's.

None of the copy places have them and if I order from the US, they are coded NTSC and not useful to me.

the dvd store in siam paragon has a corner with classic movies, might have a couple you'd want.

the one opposite the big cd music shop (they are actually the same store) on floor 3 or 4.

Thanks. I will check it out.

Philips sells a line of DVD players here that promise to play any DVD regardless of region code or format and they seem to work. I have some dvd's I brought from America and the Philips player I bought here at Tesco is the only one I've found that will play all of them. I've also found that Amazon.com is the best way to get obscure dvd's here if you're willing to invest in a new player, the Philips one I bought here was only 1600 Baht.

Yes, I agree...at the moment it seems to be the best place and I thought the prices were reasonable.

There's also a very good (in terms of selection) store at Central World, not far from Isetan maybe on floor 4 (???), but they seen very expensive.

I still order flicks from Amazon, however.

Philips sells a line of DVD players here that promise to play any DVD regardless of region code or format and they seem to work. I have some dvd's I brought from America and the Philips player I bought here at Tesco is the only one I've found that will play all of them. I've also found that Amazon.com is the best way to get obscure dvd's here if you're willing to invest in a new player, the Philips one I bought here was only 1600 Baht.

The SONY RDR-GX380 I recently bought has been playing both region 1 and 3 with no adjustments and no problems...so far.

There's a video shop specializing in classic and arthouse movies in Fortune Town, third floor at the end of the row just before the atrium, left hand side as you're walking toward the atrium. They have dozens of classic movies and many obscure European films.

I have used a Pioneer for years for both Region 1 (US), Region 2 (Europe), and Region 3 (Thailand). When I bought my players, I took along a Region 1 DVD and played it just for safety's sake.

I know that Boomerang has some classic but the oldest has been 1940's and then only some. They also have a good return policy in that if a disk bought there is not playable, they will replace it. No questions asked. In the beginning, it might pay to bring the receipt. I don't need a receipt anymore as two outlets know me by name now. I even order by email and they have the disks waiting for me when I come in.