Singapore: Flying There

eljeque

If you want to fly with a reasonable amount of confidence and comfort, then go with Finnair, their flights are usually pretty fairly priced, around 5K return.

Swiss and Cathay Pacific also have one flight a day each in the market and are solid airlines. They both generally have deals on offer. I would at least check out their web sites before signing up for a flying adventure with one of the so-called low fare carriers.

who is talking about flying adventure ? what a nonsense.......i was flying TIGER to SG in September 2004 and it was the NEWEST aircraft I ever boarded.....just a few days in operation.....the seats where better than what I ever experienced from my good old arrogant Lufthansa or Turkish airlines......the crea was most friendly and very concerned about any kind of security and safety on board......of course u had to pay if u needed a drink or snack, but hey.....thats a 90 minute flight....and the drinks were cheap......I was flying the (Malaysian !!!) airasia at least 20 times and never any problems......even its been told the ThaiAirAsia is a lower level in any respect (well, semi-owned by Thaksin, so no surprise)....but i was flying 6 times with them, domestic and international, and no problem at all.....I know there was one incident late in 2004, when a ThaiAirAsia aircraft overrun the runway at KotaKinabalu during heavy rainfall, but no severe damages or even fatalities......its a big fairytale to believe that the budget carriers are worse when it comes to safety....

on the other hand, asking ur local travel agent for a ticket might be a good idea too, as many of the big carriers stop at BKK before heading to SG, HKG, JKT and so on, so their aircrafts are often empty on the last sector......might be the same price as an expensive fare with one of the buget carriers.....as for the cheapest option, if you are flexible, airasia has several flights to SG a day, and u might be lucky to get a cheap fare at one of their flights . usually early morning (except monday) or late evening (except sunday) is the best deal, just check it.....otherwise try TIGER, yes they are semi-owned by SIA.....and they do business in a Singapore-way: reliable and sincere......but very strict when it comes to luggage (15 + 7).....have a nice flight

• 4 weeks later...

I've flown Valuair to singapore twice, new aircraft, friendly staff (one even gave me her number), australian pilots. Just don't eat the food, its crap. And it was only about 4k+ baht. I've heard Jet Star Asia (owned by Qantas) is good too. Visit their websites where you can make reservations online.

The thing about budget airlines is if you know your travel dates ahead of time, you can book ahead for cheaper tickets.

I need to go to Singapore on April 16th for a few days.

Air Asia?  Jet Star Asia?  Tiger Air?

Which has the best flight costs on limited notice?

be careful for using cheap airlines, I had a very bad experience once with PB Airlines :D . of course we should consider the price low price means you should not expect something compare with the expensice airfare everybody knows that. :o

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know a travel agent in Pattaya who will sell a Tiger Air ticket.

The only charge card that I have used for many years is American Express, which is not acceptable to Tiger over the Internet.

I called Tiger and they advised that there they have no office in Thailand, where I can go and pay cash for a ticket. However, Tiger did say that a travel agent would be able to obtain a ticket for me. I have tried several travel agents, but so far no luck.

Does anyone know a travel agent in Pattaya who will sell a Tiger Air ticket.

The only charge card that I have used for many years is American Express, which is not acceptable to Tiger over the Internet.

I called Tiger and they advised that there they have no office in Thailand, where I can go and pay cash for a ticket. However, Tiger did say that a travel agent would be able to obtain a ticket for me. I have tried several travel agents, but so far no luck.

No..............but i do know where there is an Airasia ticket sales point if thats any good to you.

In the computer mall on south road just as you enter.

I booked online promotion air Asia, a few days ago, last day to day, valid next year, paid 5500 baht return for two including suvarnabumi 1400 airport tax. (2X700)

Just watch out for these promotions (was 1 baht per flight plus all kind of taxes including fuel sucharge)

Edited by tartempion

I booked online promotion air Asia, a few days ago, last day to day, valid next year, paid 5500 baht return for two including suvarnabumi 1400 airport tax. (2X700)

Just watch out for these promotions (was 1 baht per flight plus all kind of taxes including fuel sucharge)

I booked the same promotion next March down to Singapore 2 people at 3400 baht return a person as you say that now includes airport tax for both airports............there was a cheaper flight still but it meant leaving Bangkok at 6am, a little awkward when i/m in Pattaya so i opted for the 11.45am flight.

Promotion finishes today so be quick anyone who wants a ticket.

Tiger Air is only available on their website at www.tigerairways.com

Valuair is now JetStar, which is the poshest of the budget flights with assigned seatings and spanking new black leather seats.

AirAsia is a tossup.. will you fly them if you knew that the top of the wings can just fall off in midair?

SQ is very competitive if you have the 2 to go fares. Tons of european airlines does the BKK-SIN route, check out Swiss, Finnair, Gulf, CX etc

Yes, 'philosopher' (post #8):

" It is better to walk slowly and gain the fruits of life than to fly with haste and miss countless opportunities."

Flying anywhere is the most expensive way of learning the least.

Lucky are those of us who have the leisure to go down to Singapore by train and enjoy the experience, of which there is always something fresh, and read a couple of good books.

"I've yet to have a wing fall off on me".

It happened to a DC4, fifteen minutes outbound from Dorval, Montreal, in 1959 or 1960.

Number 3 engine took fire and the fire wouldn't be doused.

The flames blowtorched the wing, which drooped and tore away.

The Captain coolly did a 'running commentary' right to the end.

No survivors.