ICT Minister Vows TOT Will Proceed With 3G Roll-out

george

ICT minister vows TOT will proceed with 3G roll-out

BANGKOK: -- Information and Communications Technology Minister Ranongruk Suwanchawee yesterday said TOT would push ahead with its third-generation wireless broadband projects.

This was despite recent suggestions it wait for the telecom regulator's rules for the upcoming 3G auction.

The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) has yet to finalise its rules to auction off four 3G 2.1-gigahertz licences, nor has it cleared any possible legal obstacles to its authority to grant them.

Ranongruk insisted the ICT Ministry had final authority over TOT's plan.

State-owned TOT is scheduled to kick off its 3G 2.1GHz wireless broadband service on December 3 on its existing network in the greater Bangkok area.

It also plans to roll out its new 3G 2.1GHz network nationwide, with 3,800 base stations.

Ranongruk said TOT's 3G-network roll-out had nothing to do with the NTC's plan to auction the 3G licences and that the two issues should not be mixed together.

The NTC role is to grant the spectrum licences, but TOT already has its own 3G spectrum.

"We will not stop. We have our own clear stance, so TOT will move ahead with its 3G plan, because it already has a 3G-network business plan," Ranongruk said, adding that the project was consistent with government policy on national telecom development and widespread access to services.

Initially, TOT was to spend Bt29 billion on the network, but this was scaled down to Bt20 billion. Once operational, the network will be leased on a wholesale basis to telecom operators, so they can provide services.

TOT finished the terms of reference to procure the 3G network equipment for its new 3G network nationwide roll-out. It will invite interested firms to buy the bid documents at the end of this month, with bidding to be finished next April.

The complete network roll-out will take two years.

Meanwhile, Policy Watch, a group founded by lecturers at Thammasat University's Faculty of Economics to monitor government policies, proposed the NTC make sure its planned 3G-licence auction bring maximum benefit to consumers.

It also proposed if 3G operators migrate customers from the state concessions to their 3G licences, they be subject to excise tax, with the amount equal to their concession fee.

That would discourage them from migrating customers from concessions to 3G licences if they can obtain a licence from the NTC.

Many parties have opposed the NTC's 3G licensing on the grounds the licences would pave the way for private mobile concessions to migrate customers from the concessions to the licences, in order to save on regulatory costs. Their concession fees average 25 per cent of their revenue, while the annual licence fee would cost them only 6.5 per cent.

Policy Watch also proposed the NTC wait for the Senate to appoint four new NTC commissioners before holding the auction.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

How to create a monopoly Thai style.

So, auctions are delayed indefinitely, TOT (who would never survive in the real world) gets a nice headstart on 3G, continues to complain about losing out (thus delaying licences even more), those who want 3G must pay through the nose (TOT might even sub contract sales of 3g service to AIS, True, Dtac), problem solved.

Ho Hum TIT.

TOT was to spend Bt29 billion on the network, but this was scaled down to Bt20 billion.

So once again the same as always with TOT.We will scale down the spendings with 30% so we can provide a service which will only work for 66% but anyway we can sell it at full price.

I don't get it.. TOT doesn't operate a cell phone network right? How will this work? People are with AIS, DTAC or True.. Where does TOT come in?

Or do they plan this for non-cell phone use, such as providing a USB 3G stick as part of their Internet business?

i have 3 SIM cards now, if TOT provides 3G i will have four. i think it's easy to understand.

I don't get it.. TOT doesn't operate a cell phone network right? How will this work? People are with AIS, DTAC or True.. Where does TOT come in?

Or do they plan this for non-cell phone use, such as providing a USB 3G stick as part of their Internet business?

I am really suprised at you WTK.

TOT is the proud owner (Well 58%) of the best run, most efficient, least corrupt and by far the most well managed mobile phone network that Thailand has. The other 42% is owned by that other well run, tranparant and totally efficient CAT. :)

I am of course refering to Thai Mobile

O.K it is in debt to the tune of about 7 billion, but that proves it is more concerned about giving its' many (well not that many really) subscribers the best value that money can buy.

It will probably be the only 3G company that actually loses money. :D

This will prove something (I haven't got a clue what...)