Stinky Koh Phi Phi

grumpyoldman

I don't understand who is responsible for the water management on Koh Phi Phi, but now the "lake" that supplies the island is terribly low (going into high season?) and since there is no water running the sewers and vents are creating tremendous smelly fumes all over.

I wonder if this was the case when those tourists died last year? Noxious fumes?

• 1 year later...

STINKING OPEN SEWERS:I just visited Phi Phi Don and was dismayed and the stinking open sewer water at many places in the village. Open canals with putrid water full of garbage, and actual sewers running over onto the paved walkways (enjoyed by barefoot pedestrians, of course!).

TRASH

When I got off the boat, I noticed that you now have to pay a 20B fee for "trash collection" on Phi Phi. Isn't that a normal function of a national park without a "special fee?" I'm suspect. Having not been there in 5-6 years, I was looking forward to an improvement in the trash situation. None. Every where I walked, especially on the west side of Ton Sai Bay, and on the north beach in back of the village, trash was everywhere.

What are they doing with the collection fee? Or is it being held up in some corrupt fat-cat's pocket?

Signed,

Disappointed Tourist

STINKING OPEN SEWERS:I just visited Phi Phi Don and was dismayed and the stinking open sewer water at many places in the village. Open canals with putrid water full of garbage, and actual sewers running over onto the paved walkways (enjoyed by barefoot pedestrians, of course!).

TRASH

When I got off the boat, I noticed that you now have to pay a 20B fee for "trash collection" on Phi Phi. Isn't that a normal function of a national park without a "special fee?" I'm suspect. Having not been there in 5-6 years, I was looking forward to an improvement in the trash situation. None. Every where I walked, especially on the west side of Ton Sai Bay, and on the north beach in back of the village, trash was everywhere.

What are they doing with the collection fee? Or is it being held up in some corrupt fat-cat's pocket?

Signed,

Disappointed Tourist

"Hmmmmmm.....not sure...............but it smells like Pee Pee"

• 2 weeks later...

TRASH

Signed,

Disappointed Tourist

This year I have met a lot of tourists unhappy with their visit to the Paradise Island Pee Pee. And I have not met a single tourist who was deliriously happy about staying on the island and would recommend another visit.

Didn't realise that 20 baht was being charged to each tourist. This is a total scam.

The resorts and businesses on Phi Phi make a fortune, THEY should be charged for the mess that they make. Unfortunately the tax collection system on Phi Phi is even more porous than Greece, and, using the usual Thai attitude (sorry for the generalisation, but in this case I believe it is warranted), "Sorry, but I can't see/smell the problem (especially if I have to pay to fix it)" nothing will be done until the tourist numbers die off (or maybe even the tourists themselves...).

And, here I go again, I cannot ever recall seeing a tourist simply dump rubbish on a beach, chuck it out of a car window, bung it in the ocean from a boat, drop it from a viewpoint into the jungle below, or leave a pile behind after a picnic. This is Thailand, it is their country and if they want to turn it into the world's biggest rubbish tip, so be it. I am no longer going to mention it to them because I just get a blank "Duh! Who are you, telling what I can't and cannot do in my own country?"

TRASH

Signed,

Disappointed Tourist

This year I have met a lot of tourists unhappy with their visit to the Paradise Island Pee Pee. And I have not met a single tourist who was deliriously happy about staying on the island and would recommend another visit.

Didn't realise that 20 baht was being charged to each tourist. This is a total scam.

The resorts and businesses on Phi Phi make a fortune, THEY should be charged for the mess that they make. Unfortunately the tax collection system on Phi Phi is even more porous than Greece, and, using the usual Thai attitude (sorry for the generalisation, but in this case I believe it is warranted), "Sorry, but I can't see/smell the problem (especially if I have to pay to fix it)" nothing will be done until the tourist numbers die off (or maybe even the tourists themselves...).

And, here I go again, I cannot ever recall seeing a tourist simply dump rubbish on a beach, chuck it out of a car window, bung it in the ocean from a boat, drop it from a viewpoint into the jungle below, or leave a pile behind after a picnic. This is Thailand, it is their country and if they want to turn it into the world's biggest rubbish tip, so be it. I am no longer going to mention it to them because I just get a blank "Duh! Who are you, telling what I can't and cannot do in my own country?"

In my opinion there is not a more poisonous place in Thailand. Last visited 4 years ago and likely never to return.

TRASH

Signed,

Disappointed Tourist

In my opinion there is not a more poisonous place in Thailand. Last visited 4 years ago and likely never to return.

Lets be clear though we are talking about Phi Phi Don Village, it's a nightmare unless you are a backpacker with a head full of Dicaprio's "The Beach", then maybe you are having fun with the booze buckets and fire shows.

Other parts of Phi Phi, Rantee Beach, Pak Mam Beach, Loh Bakao Bay, up to Laem Tong are really nice with clear green waters. From Laem Tong beach you can hike across the island through some excellent tropical gardens and get to private small beaches on the other side.

I guess my point is there is more to Phi Phi than Pee Pee (smelling) Don Village.

The whole place smells like a sewer to us... especially at low tide, when the beaches and bays are exceptionally rank.

I haven't set foot on the actual island in years, just been diving and on boats near it.

Is not just tourists who get hit the 20Baht, hubby went over for work and was super pissed off that even Thais that live there were having to pay it, which sucks big time when the average local doesn't make much at all in a day, and if they need to go ashore in Phi-Phi that really can bite.

We would love to know who actually gets that money too, as the marine park there seems to be doing less than ever about the rubbish situation, and the local police/marine park were last seen by us dragging an anchor from their speedboat across the gorgeous reefs at Shark Point... bastards.

I would point out that most of the rubbish on the beach is washed ashore so might not actually be from Phi-Phi itself... but whoever gets the 20b per person this season just gone would have made enough cash to have a team of thousands scrubbing every grain of sand clean you would think...

TRASH

Signed,

Disappointed Tourist

Phi Phi and the surrounding region were reasonably pristine some decades ago...... the madhatter tourist economy brought death to the area.

Every time I am there I want to wretch..no different than Patong. The result of unbridled organic growth with zero planning or oversight I'm afraid. I just hope they can prevent the remaining nice areas of Phuket, Krabi and Phangna from the same demise. I'm not wanting to holding my breath, but I may have to.