Breadfruit & Thailand

zzaa09

Yes, a wonderful fruit.....led to the 'mutiny on the Bounty' with capt Bligh trying to return some to England [where they wouldn't grow] for cultivation. great story.

I come from the place where they originated [Polynesia] and did enjoy them and wondered why they are not here....same climate.

If you ever locate them, please PM me, as I would like to have a tree in my yard. very attractive trees as well.

Quite the {nearly} complete food stable. As well as a everyday use within the family unit, I'd like to explore the strategies of developing them commercial. Certainly need a market....I've explore quite a number of marketplaces here in LOS and have never come across them. I'm sure they can be located and a small percentage of Thais take use of them. Guess I'll have to de some research and whatnot. As to your Polynesian roots, I have familial extensions through French Polynesia and lived through other regions of Polynesia to only enjoy the variety of way one can prepared this lovely food.

Assuming the weather up north is not significantly different from Pattaya, then breadfruit trees should be available there...it's easily available in Pattaya nurseries and seem to grow in a lot of gardens here. Most nurseries can source the trees for you if they haven't already got it in stock. Just bring along a pic for identification!

PS attractive leaves and good shade but I don't like the fruits.

Sorry, not hijacking the thread.....I wonder if you guys with Polynesian connections have seen my Kava thread in the Farming forum?

I have strong connections with Fiji and Tuvalu.

I would bet my bottom dollar that the further south you go, the more breadfruit you will find.

I used to have a few different types of breadfruit, and when I get to Thailand, I too, would like to have some.

Assuming the weather up north is not significantly different from Pattaya, then breadfruit trees should be available there...it's easily available in Pattaya nurseries and seem to grow in a lot of gardens here. Most nurseries can source the trees for you if they haven't already got it in stock. Just bring along a pic for identification!

PS attractive leaves and good shade but I don't like the fruits.

The southerly locale shouldn't present a problem, as we are in the bowels of southern/southeastern Surin. If they are available within the Patters nurseries, then one could assume that others might have bradfruit seedlings available. I'm planning to investigate nursery availability quite soon within the broader regions. Thanks for the tip!

Sorry, not hijacking the thread.....I wonder if you guys with Polynesian connections have seen my Kava thread in the Farming forum?

I would bet my bottom dollar that the further south you go, the more breadfruit you will find.

I used to have a few different types of breadfruit, and when I get to Thailand, I too, would like to have some.

Varieties. Yes, I too would wonder what types {as there are a few} might thrive well here. I'll check on your thread. Thanks.

Yes, a wonderful fruit.....led to the 'mutiny on the Bounty' with capt Bligh trying to return some to England [where they wouldn't grow] for cultivation. great story.

I come from the place where they originated [Polynesia] and did enjoy them and wondered why they are not here....same climate.

If you ever locate them, please PM me, as I would like to have a tree in my yard. very attractive trees as well.

May I second that. My wife (ex Jamaica) is most partial to them. She keeps stopping near Jackfruit in the hope that she saw one.

- Roger -

No wanting to be picky but was the breadfruit on The Bounty not destined for the West Indies as a cheap food to feed the plantation slaves?

:)

Varieties. Yes, I too would wonder what types {as there are a few} might thrive well here. I'll check on your thread. Thanks.

It is called sakey in Thai. I have planted a tree in my garden (still too young for fruits) here in Chiang Mai, and I have seen them all around the province. How do you eat the fruit? Just peel its skin? what is inside? never has some before, but i like the shape of the leaves.

It is called sakey in Thai. I have planted a tree in my garden (still too young for fruits) here in Chiang Mai, and I have seen them all around the province. How do you eat the fruit? Just peel its skin? what is inside? never has some before, but i like the shape of the leaves.

I had some BBQ'd breadfruit from a man & his family camping in Hawaii. He wrapped it in a lot of banana leaves & put it on the barby. It was very tasty.