Tip Doctor For Baby Delivery?

YoungNRich12

I suppose it makes sense to give cash public hospitals as opposed to private hospitals because you are essentially just buying something as opposed to showing gratitude, whereas gratitude is probably more logically shown through a personal gift (cake, cookies, dress shirt) as opposed to a cash payment.

Listed package was 40,000. Final bill was 47,000 (I figured it would have been around 50,000). Were so excited, tired and ready to get out of there that we did not even bother to skim the bill over to see what the extra charges were. Your bill was 50% higher?

Do I have to remind you all that we are in Thailand here? The discussion is about giving a tip/gift to a doctor in Thailand. Different countries, different customs/mentalities. It might be inappropriate for many reasons in your home countries and mentalities and mindsets, but here in Thailand it is normal praxis. My wife told me it's really absolutely normal to give a good tip to a doctor after he helped delivering your child - whether it's in a private hospital or in a government hospital doesn't matter.

It's not about how inappropriate such a tip would be in your home country - it's about what is the norm in Thailand.

Why do so many people always judge the customs of a country if these are very different from the customs in their own country?

If a "rich" farang is not giving the expected sign of appreciation to a doctor (and that's the red envelope...) after the delivery the people here will just think: oh well, another badly educated, stingy farang... every Thai will pay the tip without questioning and will consider it as completely normal and appropriate.

To the OP: in your case Baht 5'000 would be about what is expected - every Thai who is in a position to pay 45K for a delivery would certainly not hesitate to give that much tip.

I disagree about the private hospital part, and there are more than a few doctors in the family in both public and private hospitals. Just a simple matter of the gov't hierarchy envelope tradition. It's not a matter of the doctor's financial status (and yes, some gov't ones are well off, plenty are not). That said, you'll have plenty of locals who don't differentiate between gov't and private hospitals so they'll often try to envelope docs in private hospitals as well. A few will try to return the funds if they can, or counter with something else. Some don't bother because they don't have the time, or don't really care enough to point out the social faux pas and will just leave the whole thing to their nurse crew to enjoy.

:)

The notion of tipping a doctor is absurd. I asked some Thais who have several children in their extended family about this and they said that they had never heard of such a practice in Thailand. It would be extremely inappropriate to say the least.

As for those who were charged 40-50K Baht! for childbirth, you were taken advantage of. In Chiang Mai at a private hospital the cost is 16,000 Baht including everything - surgeon (Professor), private VIP room, nursing care, medication, etc.

A quick poll in my London hospital revealed most would prefer chocolates or a friendly smile.

The choccies were a poor second as well.... :)

As for accepting cash tips....not for personal gain...maybe a donation to the hospital is OK.

Most people work in the Health - care professions for the right reasons, and not to make loads of money. I'm not trying to be an ideologist, but I really don't think being tipped by a patient is right. I've received various small gifts, cards and thank you letters from many of the patients or family of patients that I worked with. To me the best thing was always a genuine thank-you.

If it is cash, then a donation to the wards equipment or something like that is the way to go IMO. I wont change my mind on that, whatever might be seen as right or wrong in terms of cultural differences.

100% correct.

There is no cultural difference when it comes to medicine. The same universal principles apply.

Save tipping for a decent waiter.

Do I have to remind you all that we are in Thailand here? The discussion is about giving a tip/gift to a doctor in Thailand. Different countries, different customs/mentalities. It might be inappropriate for many reasons in your home countries and mentalities and mindsets, but here in Thailand it is normal praxis. My wife told me it's really absolutely normal to give a good tip to a doctor after he helped delivering your child - whether it's in a private hospital or in a government hospital doesn't matter.

It's not about how inappropriate such a tip would be in your home country - it's about what is the norm in Thailand.

Why do so many people always judge the customs of a country if these are very different from the customs in their own country?

If a "rich" farang is not giving the expected sign of appreciation to a doctor (and that's the red envelope...) after the delivery the people here will just think: oh well, another badly educated, stingy farang... every Thai will pay the tip without questioning and will consider it as completely normal and appropriate.

To the OP: in your case Baht 5'000 would be about what is expected - every Thai who is in a position to pay 45K for a delivery would certainly not hesitate to give that much tip.

Yeah, Thailand. Tip a servant, even a tradesperson. But it's condescending and crass to tip a proffessional. Do you tip your accountant or dentist too?

Accountants and dentists have never traditionally received a gratuity.

Gratuities for doctors parallel the ones given to headmasters of schools. I'm sure the whingers don't like that tradition one bit either.

I am sure Bush senior had to sponsor a bit to get his dumbass of a son into Harvard.

Compared to that, Thailand is small potatoes.

Gave the doc a basket of goodies and a bottle of red in a gov hospital for sorting the missus. On tipping, absolutely not and certainly never in a private hospital.
Surely your gift/tip must have amounted to about 1,500 baht in total ? I'm not pro tipping or gift giving but giving money has to be better than giving a gift that the receiver doesn't need or like ?

What has needing or liking got to do with anything? Personally think it's cheap and thoughtless giving dosh, perhaps akin to giving your wife money for her birthday to go and buy something... although not really worth the retort as it seems to have gone right over your head. :)

Gratuities for doctors parallel the ones given to headmasters of schools. I'm sure the whingers don't like that tradition one bit either.

I am sure Bush senior had to sponsor a bit to get his dumbass of a son into Harvard.

That's easily spun off as 'for the greater good, giving back to the university which gave me so much.' And no, the university admissions dept. won't take into account that my name is on the building(s) when future generations of my family show up to get schooled. No way.

:D

The notion of tipping a doctor is absurd. I asked some Thais who have several children in their extended family about this and they said that they had never heard of such a practice in Thailand. It would be extremely inappropriate to say the least.

As for those who were charged 40-50K Baht! for childbirth, you were taken advantage of. In Chiang Mai at a private hospital the cost is 16,000 Baht including everything - surgeon (Professor), private VIP room, nursing care, medication, etc.

who are you to tell us we were taken advantage for CHOOSING to use a modern, efficient, convenient and infinitely comfortable private hospital located a 5 minute walk from home and work in the centre of the nations capital city?

i knew my options i made my choices.

i pity all those who are taken advantage of when they chose to drive bmws and benzes, the clods who are fleeced when they fly first class, and all those who prefer a single malt to sangsom. what fools.

And you, you gull. 16k? there are people who deliver in thailand for 30 baht. you got done.

Tipping a doctor in a government hospital in Thailand is normal. Usually put in an envelope at the bottom of a gift basket. Those who think this isn't common are wrong. You might accept tips too if you're an overworked doctor making about as much as a farang English teacher.

I am certainly no fan of Bush Jr. but he went to Yale not Harvard.

Tipping a doctor in a government hospital in Thailand is normal. Usually put in an envelope at the bottom of a gift basket. Those who think this isn't common are wrong. You might accept tips too if you're an overworked doctor making about as much as a farang English teacher.

Doctors working in government hospitals make far more than a farang English teacher.

Some definitely are not. Especially the ones right of medical school who have to do 2-6+ years of service, often at a hospital not of their own choice as part of the process to pay back their scholarships. Not everyone has a clinic either. Usually it's those who already come from somewhat well of families who own buildings, shophouses, etc. that they can plug their new graduates into after the finish med school, dental school, pharmacy school, etc.

Some definitely are not. Especially the ones right of medical school who have to do 2-6+ years of service, often at a hospital not of their own choice as part of the process to pay back their scholarships. Not everyone has a clinic either. Usually it's those who already come from somewhat well of families who own buildings, shophouses, etc. that they can plug their new graduates into after the finish med school, dental school, pharmacy school, etc.

As far as interns go (which is what I think you mean), well then you are absolutely correct about that.

As far as interns go (which is what I think you mean), well then you are absolutely correct about that.

Surely if you intend to tip you would want the top doctor to carry out the treatment and not his junior?

Plenty of interns in gov't hospitals ARE in practical terms the top doctor in individual cases. They get one significant morsel of power (not a huge amount) in they are often able to make the call as to who gets a room or not... doesn't sound like much but that decision is tantamount to who gets treatment now and who has to continue to wait. It'll vary from hospital to hospital as there are plenty of gov't hospitals that don't have overcrowding issues, but there plenty that are, and it's the gratuity system that gives you priority.

I suppose it makes sense to give cash public hospitals as opposed to private hospitals because you are essentially just buying something as opposed to showing gratitude, whereas gratitude is probably more logically shown through a personal gift (cake, cookies, dress shirt) as opposed to a cash payment.

Listed package was 40,000. Final bill was 47,000 (I figured it would have been around 50,000). Were so excited, tired and ready to get out of there that we did not even bother to skim the bill over to see what the extra charges were. Your bill was 50% higher?

Does it matter ? You are rich on your own assertion, and until recently, you had a couple of doctorates. Dr Dr in the Euro tradition. Alas. we'll bid you a fond farewell once again.