Thai Government Seeking International Help In Capturing Thaksin

webfact

Cambodia's recent activities with Thaksin really scaring thai gov......i wonder why..

I don't think it's about being scared. He is doing irrepairable damage to the country so something had to give.

They should have done it a long time ago. Get this matter resolved once and for all so the country can move on.

you have no clue what you're talking about.

thaksin has done more good for this country than any person before him and likely more good than any person to come.

keep on believing what the current government is saying about him if you like.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Thaksin is in Cambodia, it will be the decision of the authorities there at the request of Interpol to make an arrest I would imagine.

In any case if he is arrested, the unelected government here will have yet more trouble on their hands.

He is an intractable problem I am afraid and he still wields considerable influence.

Leave the poor guy alone for chrissakes

Yeah, he's only down to his last 200 million US. Poor bloke. :)

Plus the billions of baht of his which is frozen in Thailand.

Multiply that as he has much more which is still around in land and in all kind of nominees.

I don't understand why the government doesn't start using that money till its finished....Once its gone there is little chance anyone can get it back!

Where could Thaksin get the money (should he need a loan) to finance an electoral campaign? Asavahame is hiding out there, Hun Sen wants business and more cash. Shouldn't be too difficult to arrange financing for cash to flood into Thailand to get what he needs done.

Abhisit better get his cheque book out soon and start splashing the cash in Isaan

So the Winner is The Isaan folk

it seems to me that the expats that like T man have women from issan i am not one of those and my wife does not talk polotics with me so all i go by is what i have seen. What i remember most about mr t is his love for the courts, i dont remeber a week that went by when he was not taking legal actions against someone for saying anything about him. Where it is true that he was elected it is also true that he violated the asset discloser law before he ran and should not have been able to run in the first place. dont get me wrong i think the guy did some things that benefited my wife as well in terms of being able to have IRA type investments to off set taxes but i also believe that for a man who never missed an oportunity to say "you dont love thailand" that he was not veryy loving when he avoided paying taxes on his satalite deal. I see the guy as ago maniac, who is a theif, a lier and a sore loser but then again theat is just my opinion and i would love to see the guy behind bars, just like bernie.

I suggest you go and see the poverty in some parts of Isaan and remember how fortunate you are.

The only reason for example that the Communist Party of China still today stands is because the rural population gets beaten by sticks (or occasionally hauled off to labour camps) if if complains about its lot in life. I have been there and seen it all in the rural areas of just about all of Asia and the only thing that stops civil strife is brainwashed ideas that their governments care about them, corruption that makes them sell their souls or a gun that stops them rising up. The only countries I have in Asia where a farmer is paid fairly for the fruits of his labours are Korea and Japan, but then an apple costs 1USD a pop and beef is a respected luxury.

Fortunately in Thailand, no one is starving thank the lord since one only has to spit seeds on the ground and food is produced, but these people don't have much.

History shows that a dissatisfied rural class is extremely difficult to mollify.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Cambodia's recent activities with Thaksin really scaring thai gov......i wonder why..

I don't think it's about being scared. He is doing irrepairable damage to the country so something had to give.

They should have done it a long time ago. Get this matter resolved once and for all so the country can move on.

thaksin has done more good for this country than any person before him and likely more good than any person to come.

Joker. I've lived in Thailand for most of my life and while he has done some good for the country he has mainly recycled old programs, a lot of them that were completely free before, rebranded them and sold them back to the populace as his gift in exchange for votes.

No matter how good he may seem in your eyes, he clearly is not a leader capable of uniting the country and as such he is doing more harm than good.

Where could Thaksin get the money (should he need a loan) to finance an electoral campaign? Asavahame is hiding out there, Hun Sen wants business and more cash. Shouldn't be too difficult to arrange financing for cash to flood into Thailand to get what he needs done.

Abhisit better get his cheque book out soon and start splashing the cash in Isaan

So the Winner is The Isaan folk

Since you missed to add quotes around my message, yes indeed, the farmers of all of Thailand need to get more from the pie that is generated by agricultural exports from this country.

Abhisit needs to win an election outright and with a stroke of a pen could do it.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Thailand was never colonized by Europeans right? Are other nations (in Asia or wherever) that WERE colonized and introduced to democratic government having so many problems? Coup after coup etc etc.

Just wondering .. maybe the answer to all of Thailand's problems would be .. to be invaded. Teach 'em the ropes for 100 years and then hand over the reigns.

EDIT .. Just a "Brain Fart" .. not to be taken seriously :D

Remember "The Mouse That Roared," Peter Sellers et al? You cause me to think of that ingenious approach, ie, Thailand invades the US (a couple of rowboats armed with spicy food), immediately surrenders, gets benevolently occupied, hundreds of billions in US aid and advisors to both public and private sectors but especially a new constitution (Japan), and finally properly gets set on the road to democracy as with Germany too.

Most major problems mostly solved as the new Thailand awakens to a new dawn and bright cheery, old fashioned LOS morning!

If only the Thais had the smarts :)

Maybe they would like to arrest him to bring him back to Thailand... in order to rescue the country from slipping even further down hill !!

When are people going to realize that Thaksin is a hero and actually made this country ?? The sooner this man comes back the better life will be for everyone !!

(at least people who live in Thailand)

Let's remember that Abhisit's primary enemy, of which he is petrified, isn't Thaksin but the Thai electorate. The military can protect him only so long.

I had to laugh out loud when I read this. Not because what you say isn't true but because most people on this forum cannot see the truth in what you said. Hey people, Thaksin was ejected by a coup e'tat. Everything this government does is illegal. I would like to see Thaksin arrested and brought back to Thailand to face the judgment of the people. If he was he would be reelected and restored to his rightful place at the head of government. And again he would be forced from office by the elite scum who have no respect for the will of the people. Is Thaksin corrupt? Of course. Are the people currently in power corrupt? Of course. The question is can the people choose which corrupt politician they want in power or not? Most people on this forum, I assume, come from countries who elect their representatives democratically yet they self righteously defend the coup which overthrew Thailand's democratically elected leader -- something they would abhor if that happened in their own country.

Thailand was never colonized by Europeans right? Are other nations (in Asia or wherever) that WERE colonized and introduced to democratic government having so many problems? Coup after coup etc etc.

Just wondering .. maybe the answer to all of Thailand's problems would be .. to be invaded. Teach 'em the ropes for 100 years and then hand over the reigns.

EDIT .. Just a "Brain Fart" .. not to be taken seriously :)

Serious thought - but it wouldn't be LOS then would it? I mean if all we wanted, is a copy of home, why bldy come here?

I meant "politically" .. not "culturally" .. is Malaysia a copy of "home" (wherever that is)? .. is Singapore? .. is India? .. the list goes on. As long as a country is being managed "somewhat" efficiently .. without constant reoccurring turmoils and changes (as in LOS) .. I think most people are "somewhat" happy. Thailand has yet to learn how to do that. 

Joker. I've lived in Thailand for most of my life and while he has done some good for the country he has mainly recycled old programs, a lot of them that were completely free before, rebranded them and sold them back to the populace as his gift in exchange for votes.

No matter how good he may seem in your eyes, he clearly is not a leader capable of uniting the country and as such he is doing more harm than good.

There is nothing to unite if the pieces won't stick together. Unity means nothing if it comes under the weight of a gun or duress. There are issues that need to be addressed, but at the moment no one in the current government seems to acknowledge that there are a lot of people out there in the boonies who want a bit more of the pie in Thailand.

I know we all read the books when we came to Thailand that said, "Thai people avoid confrontation", "They are calm", "They are placid".

Well unfortunately, the reality is that those days are socially and politically over. Those are images and ideas that should be consigned to the the bin.

Unity is an ideal that can only be attained when all are satisfied. That never happens in any country, be it democratic, autocratic or militaristic. The politicians and the army neglected the majority of the electorate for a very long time and they believe that they deserve to be taken care of.

The beauty of a true democracy is that it self corrects itself to represent the needs of it's people. Unfortunately, decisions behind closed doors seldom deliver policies that benefit most of the people most of the time be those decisions taken in Washington, London, Paris or Bangkok.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Problem is that most of the colonies have gone south after they gained their independence...

Wonderful fan-mail.

No, he hasn't done more for this country than anyone else, that is both catastrophically ignorant and (since there is so many better) partially a LM.

And No, he will not be better than anyone that can come after. That sounds like idol-worship.

As Thaksin is in Cambodia, it will be the decision of the authorities there at the request of Interpol to make an arrest I would imagine.

In any case if he is arrested, the unelected government here will have yet more trouble on their hands.

He is an intractable problem I am afraid and he still wields considerable influence.

Given that Interpol cooperates and coordinates with various individual national law enforcement authorities, but itself hasn't authority to make arrests, Interpol is unable to take any action against a suspect/culprit in any country. Any action by a national government against an Interpol 'wanted' fugitive from justice in its country is a matter for the foreign country to determine. As Cambodia isn't and won't cooperate with Interpol in the Thaksin matter, Thaksin remains untouchable in Cambodia.

This is the crux of the problem to Thailand. Altho Thaksin will not reside in Cambodia, Thaksin has unlimited access to Cambodia. This gives him easy access to his henchmen who easily can move across the border and for Thaksin et al to scheme and plot to inflame Thai society, politics and government.

Thaksin essentially is a free radical in Cambodia against Thailand. Thaksin the Cambodian.

How absurd. They keep "asking" for people to respect Thailand's politically motivated extraditions.

Haven't they figured that nobody is paying attention?

If they are trying to scare Thaksin or quiet him down, it isn't working. The only people being fooled are probably some of the liberal farangs in Thailand with their hopes of "justice". Figure it out! You are living in a country with more "flexible laws for those with money" and odds are you are living well because of it. Do you think the lower cost of living is because they are up to par with Western law enforcement standards? And how many expats are taking care of flexible enforcement themselves --- houses (ahem) and women (ahem)....stop talking about the needle in the Thais eyes until you've removed the giant plank in yours.

I doubt the Thais even believe these govt PR pieces anymore.

Come on, if interpol wanted to help they could have arrested Thaksin quite a while back. Nobody's getting involved in an internal matter, especially when they know the current regime may disappear quickly like the ones before it.

Worse, they are just "bringing Thaksin back into politics"....they are playing into his hand.....and their blood feud is just making Thailand's hope for a economic recovery less likely.

Let's remember that Abhisit's primary enemy, of which he is petrified, isn't Thaksin but the Thai electorate. The military can protect him only so long.

I had to laugh out loud when I read this. Not because what you say isn't true but because most people on this forum cannot see the truth in what you said. Hey people, Thaksin was ejected by a coup e'tat. Everything this government does is illegal. I would like to see Thaksin arrested and brought back to Thailand to face the judgment of the people. If he was he would be reelected and restored to his rightful place at the head of government. And again he would be forced from office by the elite scum who have no respect for the will of the people. Is Thaksin corrupt? Of course. Are the people currently in power corrupt? Of course. The question is can the people choose which corrupt politician they want in power or not? Most people on this forum, I assume, come from countries who elect their representatives democratically yet they self righteously defend the coup which overthrew Thailand's democratically elected leader -- something they would abhor if that happened in their own country.

Hear Hear!

With most countries considering the FM a terrorist for his involvement in the airport takeover and their lack of respect for the coup, I doubt any will be willing to assist the present Thai government in its witchhunts.

"Witchhunt?!" Thaksin is an international criminal. He was never even charged for failing to pay his taxes when he sold Shin Corp. to the current dictator of Singapore, a fellow Chinese. As long as Thaksin is alive or brought to Thailand to spend time in prison for his crimes, he will continue to try all in his power - and the guy is a billionaire - to ruin Thailand for foreign business. He doesn't give a dam_n about the people of Thailand - only himself. Outlaw Governments ruled by Khmer Rouge murderers like those in Cambodia will never extradite him. How much money did he escape Thailand with and is now jet setting around the world putting down Thailand. Any person who takes the side of Thaksin is a person who supports graft and theft. So he through a few crumbs to the uneducated peasants in Isaan. Thaksin is cunning. The only mistake the present government is making is not throwing a few more crumbs - wouldn't take much to outdo Thaksin - to the farmers in Isaan. It doesn't take much to get their votes. Pay the leaders of each village, pass out a few baht to each person in line to vote,, and the legend of "helping the poor" that Thaksin has created would disappear.

With most countries considering the FM a terrorist for his involvement in the airport takeover and their lack of respect for the coup, I doubt any will be willing to assist the present Thai government in its witchhunts.

"Witchhunt?!" Thaksin is an international criminal. He was never even charged for failing to pay his taxes when he sold Shin Corp. to the current dictator of Singapore, a fellow Chinese. As long as Thaksin is alive or brought to Thailand to spend time in prison for his crimes, he will continue to try all in his power - and the guy is a billionaire - to ruin Thailand for foreign business. He doesn't give a dam_n about the people of Thailand - only himself. Outlaw Governments ruled by Khmer Rouge murderers like those in Cambodia will never extradite him. How much money did he escape Thailand with and is now jet setting around the world putting down Thailand. Any person who takes the side of Thaksin is a person who supports graft and theft. So he through a few crumbs to the uneducated peasants in Isaan. Thaksin is cunning. The only mistake the present government is making is not throwing a few more crumbs - wouldn't take much to outdo Thaksin - to the farmers in Isaan. It doesn't take much to get their votes. Pay the leaders of each village, pass out a few baht to each person in line to vote,, and the legend of "helping the poor" that Thaksin has created would disappear.

"threw" should have read my reply before sending it.

This whole mess has a domino effect of chaos and confusion that will draw unwanted attention to the Thai government. I hope they will be able to resolve this in a quiet peaceful manner but I tend to doubt that it will be anything like a peaceful resolve. It is festering into revolt and discord between countries now all because of one man...Insane. :)

Hear Hear!

"Deaf" would be the operative word :)

The only mistake the present government is making is not throwing a few more crumbs - wouldn't take much to outdo Thaksin - to the farmers in Isaan. It doesn't take much to get their votes. Pay the leaders of each village, pass out a few baht to each person in line to vote,, and the legend of "helping the poor" that Thaksin has created would disappear.

Isn't this what they accused Thaksin and Thai Rak Thai, Puea Thai and Thaksin's other parties of? Vote buying?

Oh, right. If Thaksin does it, it's bad. If Abhisit does it, it's democracy. My bad!

Thailand is an important country for the UK partly because of the huge tourist flows,

Thailand is important to the UK for the tourist flow?

I think it's just a "typo" .. he meant "terrorist flow"

(Didn't someone here say Mr T was one? .. I'm sure they did)

Any truth in the rumour that he's working with Bruce and Alan and negotiating to take over Coco Estates so that he can work from home buying and selling Used Governments on EBay?

("Business opportunity - "working from home" - "tropical island"?)

R

I just don't understand Cambodia's intentions by even having Thaksin there. It almost seems that life is so dull that one needs to pick a fight with someone or something just to make it interesting. Can't Thaksin consider this a work at home job and do it from the comfort of some tropical island? What a home business opportunity, advisor to Cambodia, I wonder if he accepts Paypal? :)