Thai Government Seeking International Help In Capturing Thaksin

webfact

I don't think Interpol can arrest anyone, can they?

You're right. Interpol are merely intelligence-gatherers. Their role is to liase with member countries to FACILITATE the arrest of international criminals. They are apolitical. I think the reason for the public's misconception of Interpol is down to a British TV series called "Man From Interpol" - made in 1958-9 - which was shown Stateside in 1960. It featured an "Agent Smith" who fought crime all over the World - or Hertfordshire, made to LOOK like all over the World. He was a sort of low-rent James Bond. However, Interpol HAS no agents. So it's just more politics...

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the Thai government's own fault for letting him get away in the first place. Since then they have blamed the UK and now Cambodia. If any other country does not fall into line, they will blame them too. It's a great way to focus attention away from the problems Abhisit's government is under, particularly when members of his own government are actively encouraging Thaksin.TIT.

[

The government that let him get away was his own party's government, under his nominee, Mr Samak.

I don't think Apisit's government has ever blamed the British government for anyhing.

The Cambodia thing is seen as damaging to him by certain of his lieutenants but it the other issue that is potantially even worse. Thaksin's latest admission of what he forgot is quite telling.

I'd say he has a point this time. Both in terms of the basic discrepancies between what he said according to the transcript that Times themselves published, and the article that they ended up publishing. And secondly because he's a private citizen now; while PM I would be more inclined to argue that as a public political figure, you should not resort to legal action every time someone says something that you don't agree with. As a private citizen I think it's a lot more proper to go the legal route.

Edited by thaiphoon
quote fixed

With most countries considering the FM a terrorist for his involvement in the airport takeover and their lack of respect for the coup, I doubt any will be willing to assist the present Thai government in its witchhunts.

"Witchhunt?!" Thaksin is an international criminal. He was never even charged for failing to pay his taxes when he sold Shin Corp. to the current dictator of Singapore, a fellow Chinese. As long as Thaksin is alive or brought to Thailand to spend time in prison for his crimes, he will continue to try all in his power - and the guy is a billionaire - to ruin Thailand for foreign business. He doesn't give a dam_n about the people of Thailand - only himself. Outlaw Governments ruled by Khmer Rouge murderers like those in Cambodia will never extradite him. How much money did he escape Thailand with and is now jet setting around the world putting down Thailand. Any person who takes the side of Thaksin is a person who supports graft and theft. So he through a few crumbs to the uneducated peasants in Isaan. Thaksin is cunning. The only mistake the present government is making is not throwing a few more crumbs - wouldn't take much to outdo Thaksin - to the farmers in Isaan. It doesn't take much to get their votes. Pay the leaders of each village, pass out a few baht to each person in line to vote,, and the legend of "helping the poor" that Thaksin has created would disappear.

agree 110%

The FACT of the matter is that Thaksin OVERWHELMINGLY won TWO elections. By all accounts, he would do so again if given the chance. The people have spoken, and the Bangkok minority should do away with the politically motivated persecution and face him in another election.

Love or hate him, democracy should rule.

So many are condemning his "conviction", yet conveniently forget that he was illegally and removed from power in violation of the Constitution, and the current government removed the previous (replacement) government and snatched power in much the same way. They held the entire country hostage by occupying and closing the airport. Though it was weaponless, coercion or extortion, take your pick.

I would defend the current government if they had won by the ballot, but they DID NOT. They snatched it via parliamentary maneuvering. Bring on the votes and let the people decide again!

Interesting that probably 90%+ of the posts on this forum are by Westerners who support democracy or attempts at it, don't support coups or military governments, et al....yet probably 90%+ of the posts on this forum are also anti Thaksin....says something doesn't it?

The Cambodia thing is seen as damaging to him by certain of his lieutenants but it the other issue that is potantially even worse. Thaksin's latest admission of what he forgot is quite telling.

It is further revealing that reports this morning of his directing his lawyer Noppadon to sue Times Online for defamation. Old habits are hard to break.

I'd say he has a point this time. Both in terms of the basic discrepancies between what he said according to the transcript that Times themselves published, and the article that they ended up publishing. And secondly because he's a private citizen now; while PM I would be more inclined to argue that as a public political figure, you should not resort to legal action every time someone says something that you don't agree with. As a private citizen I think it's a lot more proper to go the legal route.

Thaksin is an appointed public official of the government of Cambodia and therefore subject to public scrutiny by the press/media. Additionally, Thaksin is a person with a high public profile which also makes his words and actions subject to regular press/media reporting and coverage. Under the laws of the United States Thaksin would find it virtually impossible to successfully sue the press/media, but the US Code does not apply here.

The blame the messenger excuse is now operative for both Thaksin and the hard core Red posters who haven't yet been turned off by Thaksin becoming a part of the government of Cambodia or by the TimesOnline statements Thaksin made.

Edited by Publicus

why doesn't Thailand simply invade Cambodia?

Or sent the commandos in (as Thaksin was prepared to do in the past)??

Seems to me they have reason enough...

harbouring a fugitive,...

Lovely idea. And so very worthy a cause. Who needs tourist income this high season anyway, and then really Thaksin is just so much more important than the economy, education and healthcare. Bravo.

I heard Abhisit will try to counter Thaksin's move by appointing Madoff as his financial advisor.

Mad off is in chokey is he not? I would look to Switzerland for a financial advisor. More than enough crooks in that part of the financial world to choose from as many HiSo Thais are well aware..

The blame the messenger excuse is now operative for both Thaksin and the hard core Red posters who haven't yet been turned off by Thaksin becoming a part of the government of Cambodia or by the TimesOnline statements Thaksin made.

It's not a case of blame the messager; I assume you read both the article and the actual transcript. I don't know how I can put it in any easier words than : " Not ... Same " :)

Between the transcript and typical Red opinion and stage events there's really no difference. They're the same arguments. Red/UDD supporters support his statements as per the transcript; they're their own statements.

UPDATE

THAKSIN'S SECOND DAY IN CAMBODIA

Phnom Penh refuses to receive Thai request to extradite Thaksin

By Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation

Phnom Penh - Cambodia's Foreign Ministry refused Wednesday to receive Thailand's request to extradite fugtive ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, sources said.

Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh in the morning handed over the request to the Cambodia's foreign ministry to take Thaksin who is in Phnom Penh for the second day.

However the Thai embassy was informed that the ministry will have to wait for recommendation from its PM's Office.

In the meantime, Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen is meeting with Thaksin Shinawatra at his office.

Thaksin began his second day in Phnom Penh with the four-eyed meeting with Hun Sen to discuss economic plan for Cambodia, sources said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It's not a case of blame the messager; I assume you read both the article and the actual transcript. I don't know how I can put it in any easier words than : " Not ... Same " :)

Between the transcript and typical Red opinion and stage events there's really no difference. They're the same arguments. Red/UDD supporters support his statements as per the transcript; they're their own statements.

Take a look at the mistake Thaksin admitted to yesterday after meeting family members who had been in Thailand. The issue about LM is not the main one it is about what Thai people in general may consider approapriate or not and timing and it seems it has hit with at least some of the softer base remembering that those that are red are actually small in number compared to those that may be soft supporters and sympathisers. Whether this is a long term hit or not remains to be seen but does anyone really think Newin for example isnt going to get working on this. It will be intersting to see if he can make any inroads consdiering the red movement has large swathes of the Isaan locked up with its own information networks which are not intent on producing balanced arguement but on their own propaganda.

Anyway this is getting well away from topic for this thread

UPDATE

The Nation

Phnom Penh - Cambodia's Foreign Ministry refused Wednesday to receive Thailand's request to extradite fugtive ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, sources said.

Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh in the morning handed over the request to the Cambodia's foreign ministry to take Thaksin who is in Phnom Penh for the second day.

However the Thai embassy was informed that the ministry will have to wait for recommendation from its PM's Office.

In the meantime, Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen is meeting with Thaksin Shinawatra at his office.

Thaksin began his second day in Phnom Penh with the four-eyed meeting with Hun Sen to discuss economic plan for Cambodia, sources said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/11

Next stop ... cutting diplomatic relations.

War between the two countries is now what Thaksin wants most. Well Hun Sen and Thaksin never care about lives anyway. Not so surprising if a war erupts.

Edited by Rideau

The FACT of the matter is that Thaksin OVERWHELMINGLY won TWO elections. By all accounts, he would do so again if given the chance. The people have spoken, and the Bangkok minority should do away with the politically motivated persecution and face him in another election.

So many are condemning his "conviction", yet conveniently forget that he was illegally and removed from power in violation of the Constitution, and the current government removed the previous (replacement) government and snatched power in much the same way. They held the entire country hostage by occupying and closing the airport. Though it was weaponless, coercion or extortion, take your pick.

I would defend the current government if they had won by the ballot, but they DID NOT. They snatched it via parliamentary maneuvering. Bring on the votes and let the people decide again!

My God, if supposed educated farangs cannot get basic facts right, how can we expect the rural farmers to get it?

No, Thaksin did NOT 'OVERWHELMINGLY ' [sic] win two elections. Look up the concept of 'coalition' that was used during his first term. After merging with additional parties (aka swallow smaller ones to get their electorate) the second one could be ruled without a coalition. And after the coup they again had only a minority as their support had dwindled.

No, the current coalition didn't hold any airport hostage nor did they steal the power in pretty much the same way as the coup.

The people have already decided, their elected MPs have now decided on what coalition they want to be a part of.

Funny that people proclaim to be champions of democracy and then only accept outcomes in their favour. Or fail to understand how the electoral system works.

I don't think Interpol can arrest anyone, can they?

How did you conclude that? It's their job.

<snip>

Interpol can cooperate and assist local police if requested; but no more. They have no jurisdiction in any sovereign state.

The "warrant" is not a UK warrant so he can not be arrested on that. And no extradition in the UK has been applied for ( and anyway he is not there is he?) and if it had what would the resaon given be. A court would look at a murder conviction but not a crime where the sentence was a few years in prison for a former PM convicted when he held a diplomatic passport from a sovereign state (Thailand). No western country would take much time to think that one through the reams of international law.

By following your logic, any inmate/fugitive/mafia leader loved by people in his stronghold can run in election. His victory can clear up his criminal record. Luv Leh and brilliant! Very democratic!

Before you post please take notice of forum rule #2

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

One post and quoted replies to it deleted. Forum rule #2 will be applied strictly

why doesn't Thailand simply invade Cambodia?

Or sent the commandos in (as Thaksin was prepared to do in the past)??

Seems to me they have reason enough...

harbouring a fugitive,...

Lovely idea. And so very worthy a cause. Who needs tourist income this high season anyway, and then really Thaksin is just so much more important than the economy, education and healthcare. Bravo.

They didn't mind the lack of tourist income when they blocked the Thai airport....

even more this war with Cambodia could be a great excuse for the military to ask AGAIN for more money for the military...:)

( by the way, it seems to me that history has proven that about everything in Thailand is more important than education, healthcare,....)

War between the two countries is now what Thaksin wants most.

:)

WHO exactly has ben escalating the whole Cambodia thing ever since the Phra Viharn fiasco? If anyone wants war it's PAD and the loons close in the Dem party close to PAD. ( Even Abhisit I recon has the common sense not to go down that path, I'll credit him that much. )

UPDATE

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/11

Next stop ... cutting diplomatic relations.

War between the two countries is now what Thaksin wants most. Well Hun Sen and Thaksin never care about lives anyway. Not so surprising if a war erupts.

Dunno bout Hun Sen but I severely doubt Thaksin wants a war between the two countries. That would carry a humongous amount of downside risk for him and almost no upside possibility. He isnt stupid.

Cambodia's Foreign Ministry refused Wednesday to receive Thailand's request to extradite fugtive ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, sources said.

Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh in the morning handed over the request to the Cambodia's foreign ministry to take Thaksin who is in Phnom Penh for the second day. However the Thai embassy was informed that the ministry will have to wait for recommendation from its PM's Office.

Huh.. So.. did they refuse to accept it as per the opening line, or did they receive it while saying it has to wait for a recommendation from the PM office?

I know it's hard to get things straight from one day to the next, but from one paragraph to the next?

WHO exactly has ben escalating the whole Cambodia thing ever since the Phra Viharn fiasco? If anyone wants war it's PAD and the loons close in the Dem party close to PAD. ( Even Abhisit I recon has the common sense not to go down that path, I'll credit him that much. )

Well, have you read the Headline?

Closing the borders

Cutting diplomatic relations

Then what?

it's indeed the PDA that want war, NOT Thaksin.

The PDA will claim that this war was started because of Thaksin.

Thai Nationalistic feeling will rise and red and yellow will join together against Cambodia .

Thai Nationalistic feeling will rise and red and yellow will join together against Cambodia .

I don't think Red will join Yellow against Cambodia. PTP is against renouncing the MOU. Still there are many Reds, who still believe The Times of London ganged up with the Dems and twisted Thaksins interview. :)

I don't think Red will join Yellow against Cambodia. PTP is against renouncing the MOU. Still there are many Reds, who still believe The Times of London ganged up with the Dems and twisted Thaksins interview. :D

A proven way to solve internal fighting in a country, (the biggest problem for Thailand at the moment)....:

look for an external enemy and start a war with them (Cambodia just offered this...).

This way the divided country will join hands against the foreign enemy...

they will forget their internal disagreements and fighting and come together against the enemy.

come on Abhisit,

listen to your military and go for it... :):D

Still there are many Reds, who still believe The Times of London ganged up with the Dems and twisted Thaksins interview. :)

Well that's a change.The usual charge is that the international press (Economist, WSJ, Straits Times, FT etc) have been conned by Thaksin, and in some cases are in his pay or heavily influenced by his PR advisors.Ludicrous of course but peddled by many on the anti-Thaksin side.

As it happens the charge stated by Rideau is also absurd.

A proven way to solve internal fighting in a country, (the biggest problem for Thailand at the moment)....:

look for an external enemy and start a war with them (Cambodia just offered this...).

This way the divided country will join hands against the foreign enemy...

they will forget their internal disagreements and fighting and come together against the enemy.

come on Abhisit,

listen to your military and go for it... :):D

It is a proven way elsewhere. Thailand is usually unpredictable.

LOL! You think the military is beating the war drum? C'mon, I do not even remember the name of the Army Chief. What's his name? :D

Well, have you read the Headline?

I read the headline. And in the very next paragraph of the same article they state that they did receive it and that it's with the PM office for advice. It kind of makes a difference if they plainly told the embassy staff [not even the ambassador, who you'd think would be appropriate to handle delicate matters but who was called back in an unnecessary slap in the face.] where they could shove it, or that they received it and are processing it.

Closing the borders

Cutting diplomatic relations

Then what?

Why do even that? It's a request. It's not an order. Thailand has in the past refused such extradition requests from Cambodia. It happens. My daughter requests a bag of M&Ms, I say no. Even my daughter then manages not to throw a tantrum, knowing that no good can come from that. Maybe she can advise Abhisit.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai