Tefl Jobs In Chiang Mai?

mettyou

Hi all,

my wife and I are both looking for TEFL jobs here in Thailand, and are interested in teaching in Chiang Mai. However, online we have not come across many ads for teaching jobs there. Does anybody know if there are many jobs available there? I do realize that the timing is just a bit off, given that the public schools just started a couple of weeks ago. But if we were to go to Chiang Mai and search/apply for jobs in person, is there a decent possibility of finding some job options? If anybody has any info, please do let me know. Thanks.

Matt

Plenty of jobs teaching English - whether in a language school or school/college. Depending on your experience and quals, different doors will be open. Having said that, there is a lot of competition here, but most find some work. Don't expect to get rich though!

As to advertising, unlike BKK, most schools here don't advertise. What tends to happen is whatever farang teacher is in the school, possibly the 'head of native English speaking teachers' will be askesd to find someone. They usually either tell their mates if the job is good, or talk to a language school owner (that they know - possibly where they were trained) which will be able to email out to people that have completed their TEFL courses. So, pretty much its word of mouth and getting in with a language school.

The other way to do it is to don a suit, and take your CV around to all the colleges and schools. Don't drop it off with the security guard, take it to the office so they can see how smart you are - you may be interviewed immediately. Often you will be asked to do a demo class to prove you can teach and the kids don't hate you.

For work permit jobs - i.e. not part time/language school, you will need a degree and a TEFL certificate - sometimes this is 'worked around'.

With Chiang Mai you best bet is to hand deliver your CV / Resume. The school yer ends in March so you might not get any bites right away. Do a search for schools or private schools in the CM forum and you should stumble upon a few threads with a bunch of school names / websites.

Lots of good advice here. A TEFL cert is not required by the MOE but schools prefer them.

And anybody looking to teach should at least equip themselves with the basics of how to do the job.

Simply speaking a language does enable you to become a teacher, any more than being able to type enables you to become a computer programmer.

Only problem is that a TEFL cert is little more than the bare minimum. Other than the 6-10hrs you might spend in front of a classroom it's nothing you can not learn from a 100 level education text or a forum.
I respectfully disagree in part. TEFL student teachers, like all learners, have a wide variety of learning methods - reading, listening, watching, replying, instant feedback of classroom interaction - which the internet does not provide. Just my opinion.

I live on the other side of Thailand, but I was in CM recently on holiday, and spoke to a few foreign teachers. They said the same - there are many foreign teachers here, but if you are willing to 'lower your sights' slightly - maybe do part time work to start with, there are jobs around. Because of supply and demand, of course, salaries are not the highest in Thailand.

When you visit the schools, just a couple of things I discovered on my TEFL course;

As said, dress smart.

Take lots of copies of degree certs, TEFL certs, references etc - don't expect the Thai teachers to do all the photocoping; make it easy for them.

Don't forget we are in term time, so the teachers are working. You may have to sit and wait a while at each school. Try to politely avoid the well-meaning secretary who says 'if you leave your details with me, I'll see the head gets them'. Yours will go on the pile with all the others, but if there's no other option, then follow up with a phone call later.

Some places may arrange an interview at a later date, but I was asked to do an impromptu lesson in front of some teachers and students, there and then. They may tell you the topic, but have a few ideas (lesson plans) ready, just in case. It wasn't too stressful, they just want to see that you are human and capable.

Good luck.

As said, dress smart.

Take lots of copies of degree certs, TEFL certs, references etc - don't expect the Thai teachers to do all the photocoping; make it easy for them.

Don't forget we are in term time, so the teachers are working. You may have to sit and wait a while at each school. Try to politely avoid the well-meaning secretary who says 'if you leave your details with me, I'll see the head gets them'. Yours will go on the pile with all the others, but if there's no other option, then follow up with a phone call later.

Some places may arrange an interview at a later date, but I was asked to do an impromptu lesson in front of some teachers and students, there and then. They may tell you the topic, but have a few ideas (lesson plans) ready, just in case. It wasn't too stressful, they just want to see that you are human and capable.

Good luck.

This is good advice for anyone looking for a teaching job anywhere in Thailand.

We have a lot of walk-ins. I do the interviewing and I am curious as to why I would want to interview someone for a job that we don't have? We have a few people who insist on an interview--or seeing someone and I can tell you, I have a special file for those resumes. It's called the bin.

A follow-up by phone is fine, but don't start out being a high-maintenance.

you might want to sign up for substitute teaching at the international and other schools to get a foot in the door. and also make sure they know you are available for private tutoring. its almost the turn of the semester for international schools, grades will come out and some parents will be seeking tutors. in springtime will be the jobs notices for these schools and first interviews. hope this helps.

Chiang Mai isn't the most lucrative place to do TEFL, either, from what I've heard- seems to top out at 40-45K most of the time? (locals can correct me if I'm wrong).

Government schools are 18-25k

private are 30-50k

I have heard that some of the international schools are not much more. I can not confirm rumors of free and or highly discounted tuition if your child attends.

Responding to a front page ad in the Bangkok Post, I received a phone call from them. I called back on Monday and the lady said for me to call back in the afternoon...when she wouldn't be there. I called back, I am extremely polite on the phone and have all the qualification, and they hung up on me. I called back again and got the same run around. I don't know anyone with teaching experience and credentials who would want to work at a place like that.

Chiang Mai isn't the most lucrative place to do TEFL, either, from what I've heard- seems to top out at 40-45K most of the time? (locals can correct me if I'm wrong).

True. But living expenses are a lot cheaper as well - you can get a decent house with a garden big enough for a family for 5000 or less about 10-15 mins outside town. No insane taxi / MRT / BTS charges either if you simply use a motorcycle. No need for air-con for at least 4 months a year. Restaurants and entertainment / outings are cheaper. I think for many people it adds up. Also, it is a much nicer place to live :)

True. But living expenses are a lot cheaper as well - you can get a decent house with a garden big enough for a family for 5000 or less about 10-15 mins outside town. No insane taxi / MRT / BTS charges either if you simply use a motorcycle. No need for air-con for at least 4 months a year. Restaurants and entertainment / outings are cheaper. I think for many people it adds up. Also, it is a much nicer place to live :)

Oh, I agree, it's one of the reasons I love Chiang Mai.

But 50k is not going to be putting away money for investment and retirement. Nor will you be paying for university in a western country for your children.

My wife and I were making 80k/month prior to leaving, but this involved many hours tutoring. It was fantastic because we have yet to have kids and we knew we were going to be in the US so saving only meant saving for vacations etc.