The High Season In Chiang Mai

KevinHunt

Hate to tell you guys something it is not high season. The only people that have ever pushed that idea are TAT and hotels. They like to start high season October 1 by increasing prices but due to world economics it was late this year. Hight season as of the past 5 or so years does not start officially tell December 1. Last year their was no sign of an uplift tell December 23.

Hate to tell you guys something it is not high season. The only people that have ever pushed that idea are TAT and hotels. They like to start high season October 1 by increasing prices but due to world economics it was late this year. Hight season as of the past 5 or so years does not start officially tell December 1. Last year their was no sign of an uplift tell December 23.

In my experience it picks up about mid-November (just after Loy Krathong) and then there is a lull at the beginning of December, before it gets into full-swing again just after mid-December. As you rightly said, price-wise the high season begins 1st October.

Well somebody is coming here, as all flights on every airline servicing Chiangmai are fully booked this evening.

I have a friend in Bangkok that decided about 3pm today that she needed to come to Chiangmai for the weekend. Everything was fully booked.

She is still sitting at the airport on standby :)

Edited by Maejo Man

Well somebody is coming here, as all flights on every airline servicing Chiangmai are fully booked this evening.

I have a friend in Bangkok that decided about 3pm today that she needed to come to Chiangmai for the weekend. Everything was fully booked.

She is still ditting at the airport on standby  :)

Still ditting? I assume you meant she is still knitting - good to see that she is making the most of her free time, being productive. Well done, that lady.

Still ditting? I assume you meant she is still knitting - good to see that she is making the most of her free time, being productive. Well done, that lady.

Edited within 10 seconds, nothing better to do than ponce on syntax? :)

Oh dear me, done it again, sorry that should read pounce...

Edited by Maejo Man

Edited within 10 seconds, nothing better to do than ponce on syntax? :)

Oh dear me, done it again, sorry that should read pounce...

More of a humorous retort than a critical assessment.

With regard to your latest typo, I think you were right the first time.

Urban Dictionary - "Ponce : an individual who attempts to fake having intelligence, class, or culture". That just about sums me up.  :D

Edited by KevinHunt

I don't get into the center of town much, but today I decided to drop by Pinky's for a bite to eat. It seemed to me that there were more tourists about than at anytime I can recall in these past two years. Looks like a good start to the season. Good fortune to all our merchants.

In my experience it picks up about mid-November (just after Loy Krathong) and then there is a lull at the beginning of December, before it gets into full-swing again just after mid-December. As you rightly said, price-wise the high season begins 1st October.

It looks like high season this year will only last from the middle of December until the middle of January. Most years, things pick up for several months before and after the premium months, but not so much this year.

I notice businesses in the tourist area constantly closing and then a new one is open in the same spot within a few weeks.

I understand that the big hotels took years to plan and they had to open during the worst financial crisis of our lives, but what would possess anyone to try to open a small business in the last two years? crazy.gif

I'm not sure the season has started yet. While the amount of people on the streets and in the hotels is starting to pick up I don't things will get going until December.

This week there will be 3000 or so volunteers coming to help build homes for The Habitat For Humanity. While we might see the Night Bazaar take a shot in the arm I'm not sure if that is the same crowd that will be hitting the bars around Moon Muang and Loi Khroh.

A lot of the Hotel operators that I have talked with have said that they have good bookings starting at the end of November and into December.

If I had to give a personal opinion I would have to say that I don't think that this year will be very busy but I think it will be alright.

I must have tempted Fate, because out of the blue we were unusually busy tonight - hardly a spare seat in the house. I'm sure it was one of those false starts that I mentioned, but it would be nice to think that 'this is it'. :)

People are already coming into town for the Mekhong Build. By Sunday it should be crazy busy.