The High Season In Chiang Mai

KevinHunt

It seems to me that there is a lot of expectation of a good high season this year. So far it seems to be a bit hit and miss from my reports. As usual, there are a few false starts where it gets busy for a few days and you start to think 'Here we go, the high season's arrived' only for it to fall flat for a couple of days. That happens every year, in my experience. It also appears that certain parts of town are busier than others. From what I hear, Tapae/Moon Muang/Loi Kroh is a bit quiet whereas the Night Bazaar seems to have picked up.

What do you think? Is it going to ba a good high season? Are your favourite haunts busy? Will it be up or down? Will there be more political strife or a re-emergence of H1N1 to scare away the tourists? I can't remember the last time that there wasn't some sort of negative influence - Economic downturn, Political strife, Sars, Bird Flu, Tsunami, Coups, etc. Could this be the first busy, problem-free high season for 4-5 years?

If you've got Crystal Balls, I'd like to know what results you got by rubbing them. :)

I think it's a bit too soon to call it the high season, Kev. I'd give it another month. I'll be over soon enough to start the ball rolling. :)

A party of 40/50 farang golfers (Scandinavian I think) at Highland on Tuesday, first I have seen for a while. Others courses still relatively quiet.

I think it's a bit too soon to call it the high season, Kev. I'd give it another month.

Loy Kratong was about a month earlier than most years, so things have slowed down again and it is not that cold in the West yet, but things are still not looking good. There are just not that many tourists and they are mostly frugal backpackers who watch every penny.

I am doing fine under the cirumstances - because a lot of my customers live here - but some friends - who have always done well in the past - are already suffering during what is supposed to be the beginning of high season.

I don't like to be negative, but my prediction is "high season" will only last for about one month and a half and will be even worse than last year. Make money while you can! :)

The white bars are pretty empty as usual, at 240bht for 3 large Changs .......

The Thai bars are pretty full as usual, but at 130bht for 3 large Changs ......

I prefer to hang out at the Thai bars now.

I predict this year to be the worst tourist year ever!

Talked with a friend who runs a travel agency; he typically can see the trend a bit early just from the number of questions or bookings in his inbox. It doesn't look very good for foreign tourism. I think "The Economy" is this years SARS/Flu/Tsunami/RabidYellowAirportInvaders.

Mr. Hunt also asked:

> Are your favourite haunts busy?

Yes, EXCEPTIONALLY busy. We have to show up before 9pm at some places, otherwise there's no table free for a group. :)

I visit the town about 3 times a week for a meal and some nightly entertainments.

As far as I can see, the high season hasn`t happened. Last Saturday the numbers of Farangs I saw in the Loi Kroh road, could be counted on one hand.

Sad news for all the business owners and for everyone all round.

Some of the Thai business owners for who I know well, have a theory that because Chiang Mai is one of Mr Thaksin`s old constituencies, that the opposition has conspired against Thaksin to ensure that Chiang Mai does not boom anymore. But this is off topic and something for debate on another thread.

I visit the town about 3 times a week for a meal and some nightly entertainments.

As far as I can see, the high season hasn`t happened. Last Saturday the numbers of Farangs I saw in the Loi Kroh road, could be counted on one hand.

Some of the Thai business owners for who I know well, have a theory that because Chiang Mai is one of Mr Thaksin`s old constituencies, that the opposition has conspired against Thaksin to ensure that Chiang Mai does not boom anymore. But this is off topic and something for debate on another thread.

I doubt if anti-taksin sentiment has any effect. though it's good to blame someone - a Thai trait. The economy is down. some western businesses are dealing with it by offering promotions and advertising. generally thai businesses tend not to do that. they keep profits level by price increases.

maybe some smart thai will see an opportunity and bring prices down to normal levels and then sit back and watch the volume grow. but many expats will frequent the white bars as one poster put it.

There do seem to be mixed signals. Some tour leaders I met talked about good bookings for the high season and some not.

An interesting fact I discovered yesterday was of increases in Air Passenger Duty (APD) form first November in the UK*. Supposedly a 'green' tax on airlines, with talk of it increasing in stages to 80-150 pounds by the end of 2010. My sister looked at flights from UK to Thailand for February and reckons that they are about 150 pounds more than the last time she came ( 18 months ago).

*http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/environment/air-travel-duty-a-stealth-tax,-not-a-green-tax--200911034381/

Big kerfuffle about this tax as it was supposedly uncovered to be nothing but a way of getting more money to the govt. - nothing green about it at all.

There seems to be a big increase in percentage of Europeans here. Many many French , also German & Swiss. Haven't seen that many Scandies or from the English speaking countries either.

In my opinion the main problem with Chiang Mai tourism is consistency. It's difficult for businesses to employ people and plan when there are so many deep lulls.

For the last few years I've hardly ever seen the bars on Loi kroh busy. I don't use them, but I do drive past occasionally. At best, some of them  seem to be busy after about 11pm, but other than that they always appear to be pretty dead. I remember sitting at the Belgian restaurant (Mayflower)  one night and what struck me was that what appeared to be busy bars where in fact just the bars with more girls, that looked busier. Most bars had only 2 or 3 customers and some had none. It was only about 9ish so still a little bit early, but all the same it didn't look like they were going to be busy. One or two seem to do okay, but the majority look like they always struggle to get the punters in.

Naaahh.. That seems unlikely, especially when it comes to foreign tourism. There may be a case to be made when it comes to infrastructure projects, but it's not like the government or PAD is kicking people off planes to Chiang Mai.

And, truth be told, when the government was still very favorable to Chiang Mai (Mr. Thaksin's administation), the things he did for tourism were not that many, or huge wastes of money. (Possible exceptions being the pandas and the Royal Flora, but those mostly attract Thai tourists. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'm not sure the season has started yet. While the amount of people on the streets and in the hotels is starting to pick up I don't things will get going until December.

This week there will be 3000 or so volunteers coming to help build homes for The Habitat For Humanity. While we might see the Night Bazaar take a shot in the arm I'm not sure if that is the same crowd that will be hitting the bars around Moon Muang and Loi Khroh.

A lot of the Hotel operators that I have talked with have said that they have good bookings starting at the end of November and into December.

If I had to give a personal opinion I would have to say that I don't think that this year will be very busy but I think it will be alright.

I'm not sure the season has started yet. While the amount of people on the streets and in the hotels is starting to pick up I don't things will get going until December.

This week there will be 3000 or so volunteers coming to help build homes for The Habitat For Humanity. While we might see the Night Bazaar take a shot in the arm I'm not sure if that is the same crowd that will be hitting the bars around Moon Muang and Loi Khroh.

A lot of the Hotel operators that I have talked with have said that they have good bookings starting at the end of November and into December.

If I had to give a personal opinion I would have to say that I don't think that this year will be very busy but I think it will be alright.

I must have tempted Fate, because out of the blue we were unusually busy tonight - hardly a spare seat in the house. I'm sure it was one of those false starts that I mentioned, but it would be nice to think that 'this is it'. :)

Hubby stops by the Queen Vic 2 or 3 times a month for a late afternoon beer. He said today the staff was really pumped because they'd learned that all the hotel's rooms are booked for the entire month of December. Admittedly, they don't have many rooms, but it's still a good sign that they're all going to be full in December.

"If you've got Crystal Balls, I'd like to know what results you got by rubbing them".

For a minute there I thought that you were offering to rub my"chrystal balls"

When I rub them I don't get a whole lot of feed back in terms of what the the future holds. "different if the wife rubs them though" :)

I was out last night and the bigger of the two Number 1 bars was fairly humming.

That said I am sure that many were local expats and not tourists per se.

There are a few places around the town that seem to be relatively immune to the high season / low season thing.

Mad Dog has in my recent (last few months) visits always had a goodly number of customers.

And I walked through Anusarn both going to and returning from the watering hole and it was (nothing to base my comparison on though, cos' I hardly ever go through there) quite busy and I guess that the majority of 'white faces' would have been tourists.

I should have strolled through the old "Rotary" bar area which would have given another (better) basis for a comparison.

Edited by john b good

I live next to Holiday inn and over last two months I would see maybe 4 or five lighted rooms at night on whole side of the building. Now I see maybe 10 or 12 lighted roomsV on the whole side of the building. Very scientific study! lol

Actually it's not a bad indicator, along with the number of buses and cars in the car park, and add to that, the number of people down for their included breakfast of a morning.

I live near the Grandview, and every evening as I pass, I find myself counting the lights in rooms :)

There are a few places around the town that seem to be relatively immune to the high season / low season thing.

There are businesses that do well all year - such as the Dukes- but they usually do much better during high season.

BIB stings are immune as well :)

I will be paying a rare visit with the ball and chain and stepson,as a mate of mine and his in laws,are coming from England and will be doing a whistle stop tour of Thailand and will be in Chiang Mai this Sunday for three days.Ofcourse,you know how Thai women like to rabbit?Well,now her cousin and friends are flying up from Bangkok as they haven't seen each other for months.Chances are there will be a few more stragglers in tow.Could this be the start of the high season rush? :)

I doubt if anti-taksin sentiment has any effect. though it's good to blame someone - a Thai trait. The economy is down. some western businesses are dealing with it by offering promotions and advertising. generally thai businesses tend not to do that. they keep profits level by price increases.

maybe some smart thai will see an opportunity and bring prices down to normal levels and then sit back and watch the volume grow. but many expats will frequent the white bars as one poster put it.

I think keeping profits level by increasing prices in a down economy is going against the laws of supply and demand, but maybe Thai economics are different :)

I will be paying a rare visit with the ball and chain and stepson,as a mate of mine and his in laws,are coming from England and will be doing a whistle stop tour of Thailand and will be in Chiang Mai this Sunday for three days.Ofcourse,you know how Thai women like to rabbit?Well,now her cousin and friends are flying up from Bangkok as they haven't seen each other for months.Chances are there will be a few more stragglers in tow.Could this be the start of the high season rush? :D

Not even close. :)

I think keeping profits level by increasing prices in a down economy is going against the laws of supply and demand, but maybe Thai economics are different :)

correct. live here and observe

I have a Niece who works in a travel agents in South East England. She told me by email yesterday that bookings this year for Thailand are even worse than last year at her place.

Of course; it may not be representative of the whole country but, her shop is in a well heeled part of the South East where people normally spend above average on holiday bookings.

I have a Niece who works in a travel agents in South East England. She told me by email yesterday that bookings this year for Thailand are even worse than last year at her place.

Of course; it may not be representative of the whole country but, her shop is in a well heeled part of the South East where people normally spend above average on holiday bookings.

It is surprising as Thailand ,despite its current bad PR etc,is still one of the cheapest destinations in the world for a holiday. The weather at this time of the year is nigh on perfect and the cost of living increases minimal. The Philippines , tourist wise is a complete basket case, as is the country, Indonesia ,friends tell me is running below av,so we can only assume that the economy in the UK is reflected in lack of travel O/S.