Windows 7 On A Netbook

Crushdepth

A lot of the new netbooks are now sold with Windows 7 Starter. I have had a few of them on hand and tried using them. It runs very smooth and had no problems so far.

Also the Windows 7 Starter is much cheaper than the cheapest XP.

I'm running Windows 7 on a MSI Wind netbook with 2GB Ram for several months now and find the performance is fine, more stable then XP and somewhat faster (at least it feels that way). Can watch a 720 movie and do WiFi at the same time with no stuttering or delays.

Microsoft specifically targeted netbooks in order to be able to cut out XP support, and to continue to combat Linux on netbooks at the same time.

For that reason alone, I'd think it would work great on a netbook. It works really well on my 4 year old Windows laptop too as far as performance is concerned. Doesn't feel slower than XP in any way.

What would really amaze me is if it would still be fast after 18 months. Only time will tell .... :)

Ok level with us Crushdepth, did you do a Custom (clean) install or did you do an Upgrade right over top of your old Vista setup. I truely think it makes a difference. Of all the installs I've done, I've yet to see a machine slow down unless it was full of crap to begin with. Many users have many programs loading at startup and running in the background because software they've installed load "call home" software or small applets that "monitor" for "this, that and the other" which invariably causes many PCs to slow to a crawl during startup and for the duration of the session.

Try this...click on the start menu, type MSCONFIG in the search box and press enter. Click on the STARTUP tab, remove all of the checkmarks from the listed items, click APPLY, click OK, restart your system and then get back with us and let us know how long it takes for your system to start up...

P.S. I run bottom end, cheap hardware, I've done clean installs for myself and my friends and all of our machines are flying. In fact most are still using the Release Candidate (too cheap to purchase the retail version just yet)...no problems and very reasonable speed increase.