Beer Chang Faces Stiff Competition Next Year

george

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You just made all that up! Shame on you "Educating" indeed! "Unregulated brewing techniques"? Have you ever been to a Chang brewery? I have been to all three. Latest machinery from Denmark and Germany, the most number of German, Denmark and UK educated brewmasters of any beer company in Thailand if not Asia. A head of breweries with a PhD from Germany. Why are you making up this trash talk? Have you ever seen a chemical breakdown of the beers made in Thailand? Do you know which global beer brand imports food colouring and other chemical additives from Singapore to add to its very expensive premium beer here? The reason people get a hangover is because Chang is 6.4% alcohol and the dehydration caused by Thailand's tropical temperatures. Cheap chemicals - what a load of tosh. All the hops and malt are purchased from Germany, the UK, Australia and the USA. Chang is made with some rice (20% of the raw materials), locally purchased, but then rice is a common adjunct in both eastern and western beers too. The Chang Draught is 100% malt.

How come I don't get a nasty headache when I indulge in Black Label, but get a real nasty one when I have a couple bottles of Chang? I think there is something else going on here besides 6.4% alcohol. :)

Thai Bev I believe has a market cap of about 300 Billion baht and more than 90 companies under the umbrella, don't think they will be going broke soon even if Beer Lao comes to town.

One of those companies is TCC, which up untill 2005 owned 25% of Beer Lao. They have since sold that to Carlsberg who now own 50%.

TH

Where would we be without you TH? I bet you would do well on Jeopardy. :)

I was going to let your inaccurate statement on the market cap go until you provoked me. Current market cap for ThaiBev is 6.7 billion SGD which equates to about 260 billion baht (plus or minus).

Loved Jeopardy and nobody would play Trivial Pursuit with me more then once.

:D

TH

Thai Bev I believe has a market cap of about 300 Billion baht and more than 90 companies under the umbrella, don't think they will be going broke soon even if Beer Lao comes to town.

One of those companies is TCC, which up untill 2005 owned 25% of Beer Lao. They have since sold that to Carlsberg who now own 50%.

TH

Where would we be without you TH? I bet you would do well on Jeopardy. :)

I was going to let your inaccurate statement on the market cap go until you provoked me. Current market cap for ThaiBev is 6.7 billion SGD which equates to about 260 billion baht (plus or minus).

Loved Jeopardy and nobody would play Trivial Pursuit with me more then once.

:D

TH

what's 40 billion mate, 13%? trivial pursuit, we invented it. Stick to Jeopardy. A few times a week I stop into my neighborhood family mart on the way home and head for the beer. I reach for the Mr. Heineken can at 43 baht now and beside it is Mr. Chang at 25 Baht winking at me. One of these days I just might try it!

Beer Chang is disgusting stuff, bu it has its followers. One night we spent an hour educating this scouser on the bad effect chang has on the body, with all its unregulated brewing tecniques and cheep chemicals. He stopped immediately and ordered a Leo swearing never to touch chang again, 1 wk later he was back in full swing with the chang, asked why? "it's the cheepest way to get where he wants to be" apparently he was having to drink 2x leo to have the same effect.

I think Chang draught is a very nice beer, but I still get a hang-over on it, whereas no other beer gives me hang-overs.

I do agree that we should support the thai beer market in order to support the thai people, but chang should improve the quality of its product.

You just made all that up! Shame on you "Educating" indeed! "Unregulated brewing techniques"? Have you ever been to a Chang brewery? I have been to all three. Latest machinery from Denmark and Germany, the most number of German, Denmark and UK educated brewmasters of any beer company in Thailand if not Asia. A head of breweries with a PhD from Germany. Why are you making up this trash talk? Have you ever seen a chemical breakdown of the beers made in Thailand? Do you know which global beer brand imports food colouring and other chemical additives from Singapore to add to its very expensive premium beer here? The reason people get a hangover is because Chang is 6.4% alcohol and the dehydration caused by Thailand's tropical temperatures. Cheap chemicals - what a load of tosh. All the hops and malt are purchased from Germany, the UK, Australia and the USA. Chang is made with some rice (20% of the raw materials), locally purchased, but then rice is a common adjunct in both eastern and western beers too. The Chang Draught is 100% malt.

Yeah, they use rice, which quite fankly, doesn't belong in beer. It doesn't matter how many other quality ingredients they use because it's pretty much the equivalent of substituting the flour in bread with salt. There's no place for rice in beer. It does nothing but make it taste like someone dropped a shot of mouth wash in there. But hey, it's cheaper to mass produce their terrible product this way, right? Cutting costs wherever they can, eh? Anyone who stays here long enough gets used to the crap, but the second you have a fresh beer from a country that doesn't pollute it with unnatural ingredients they remember what real beer tastes like. I would go as far as to say that Thailand brews the worst beer on the entire planet, and it's mainly attributable to the fact that they throw whatever crap they want into the mixing pot. There's not a single local brand I can truly stand by and recommend to someone as a very good beer. It's sad, but true. And what's even worse is that the local muck brewed here costs 3 times as much as, say, a lower end beer in Germany. It's pretty outrageous.

I'm very excited about more competition being here. I've stopped buying Thai brands altogether and have pretty much stuck with German or Belgian availabilities here for the last year or so. Would love to try a larger variety of beer.

....A few times a week I stop into my neighborhood family mart on the way home and head for the beer. I reach for the Mr. Heineken can at 43 baht now and beside it is Mr. Chang at 25 Baht winking at me. One of these days I just might try it!

I stick to my two San Miguel Lite big bottles a day. Have no idea what it or any other beer costs. :)

TH

I simply don't understand how a government can justify such high prices on a common brew like a beer.

An average daily salary for menial worker is 200Baht. A bottle of Singha is at the cheapest 65Baht. That is one third of his daily salary. Still these lower income levels work often under deplorable conditions. What else can they do but to dull their already depressed senses but to have a drink after work. I am amazed at how much the little shops found inside of every little soi can sell as far as alcohol. In order to survived the low income guy has to buy rice wine or the like. This stuff I understand is lethal and affects health negatively. There is no way they will stop drinking. I would like to see taxes lowered on beer to make it more available for these people. It bothers me that a can of Singha is over a dollar. In the States you can get some real good beer for prices like that and that without killing your wallet.

Only other country I know where beer is way too overpriced is Australia. Can't understand why but then again I figure they want their people to drink wine.

If you get a headache from Chang I suggest drinking plenty of water before you go to bed. The strong alcohol dehydrates your body.

Looking forward to Beer Lao...best beer in SEA! (I'd be dead surprised if it ever ends up on the shelves in 7-11)

Maybe If beer Chang want to increase/keep their share of the beer market that the resident "Farangs"drink then they should team up with the government and offer Free I year visa's for every 500 bottles drunk!!!!!!!lol

Beer Laos does sound very nice especially if we could get hold of those bar top coolers they use over there. Just hope the box does not come with a picture of Thaxin on the side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How come I don't get a nasty headache when I indulge in Black Label, but get a real nasty one when I have a couple bottles of Chang? I think there is something else going on here besides 6.4% alcohol. :)

Because a glass of Black Label with soda and ice is sippd not gulped?

Beer Chang is disgusting stuff, bu it has its followers. One night we spent an hour educating this scouser on the bad effect chang has on the body, with all its unregulated brewing tecniques and cheep chemicals. He stopped immediately and ordered a Leo swearing never to touch chang again, 1 wk later he was back in full swing with the chang, asked why? "it's the cheepest way to get where he wants to be" apparently he was having to drink 2x leo to have the same effect.

I think Chang draught is a very nice beer, but I still get a hang-over on it, whereas no other beer gives me hang-overs.

I do agree that we should support the thai beer market in order to support the thai people, but chang should improve the quality of its product.

Yeah, they use rice, which quite fankly, doesn't belong in beer. It doesn't matter how many other quality ingredients they use because it's pretty much the equivalent of substituting the flour in bread with salt. There's no place for rice in beer. It does nothing but make it taste like someone dropped a shot of mouth wash in there. But hey, it's cheaper to mass produce their terrible product this way, right? Cutting costs wherever they can, eh? Anyone who stays here long enough gets used to the crap, but the second you have a fresh beer from a country that doesn't pollute it with unnatural ingredients they remember what real beer tastes like. I would go as far as to say that Thailand brews the worst beer on the entire planet, and it's mainly attributable to the fact that they throw whatever crap they want into the mixing pot. There's not a single local brand I can truly stand by and recommend to someone as a very good beer. It's sad, but true. And what's even worse is that the local muck brewed here costs 3 times as much as, say, a lower end beer in Germany. It's pretty outrageous.

I'm very excited about more competition being here. I've stopped buying Thai brands altogether and have pretty much stuck with German or Belgian availabilities here for the last year or so. Would love to try a larger variety of beer.

In all countries rice is used in beer production, except in Germany where it is illegal.

As a Belgian I know very well that we have a lot of delicious traditional beers, some of them being brewed by monks, but they are hardly exported.

As to the Belgian pilsner beers, they are average to poor, not a single one compares to Carlsberg.

The only Belgian beer that is more or less widely spread in the world, Stella Artois, is just miserable.

Maybe If beer Chang want to increase/keep their share of the beer market that the resident "Farangs"drink then they should team up with the government and offer Free I year visa's for every 500 bottles drunk!!!!!!!lol

Beer Laos does sound very nice especially if we could get hold of those bar top coolers they use over there. Just hope the box does not come with a picture of Thaxin on the side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

I would actually like to see a low alcohol beer like Cascade Premium Light get a run here. For those old buggers sitting in a Pattaya or Bangkok beer bar all day they could actually remember how they got home and perhaps the name of the sweet young thing they woke up next to. I say Cascade because it is the only one here that tastes like beer.

The only low alcohol beer I know, that tastes like real beer, is Gerstel Brau from Germany.

With Brazilian beers it is rather the opposite: their regular beers are “gazified” in a way that you normally only see with low alcohol beers.

I'll be interested to try Beer Lao, about which I have heard only good things, but you shouldn't expect good beers from Vietnam.

The VN-produced Tiger, Heineken and Fosters are drinkable; the local 333 tastes likes agricultural run-off, Bia Saigon is useful for demonstrating prowess in projectile vomiting, and Halida is a favourite amongst drunks with no taste buds.

There used to be a beer called BGI, a legacy of the colonial French company Brasseries et Glaces Indochine, which was noticeable for its fruity taste and easy quaffability, but that seems to have vanished.

So, no competition for Chang from Vietnam.

Excellent news.

I hope to see Beer Lao Dark.

When? When? When? It is not clear the Beer Lao is actually going to included in these new policies as Beer Lao poses a special threat to the local beer industry.

It certainly does, but doesn't Thailand HAVE to let it be sold on the shelves at a reasonable cost? Wasn't that the whole point of the other countries agreeing to this mandate?

Laos could file some sort of complaint and Thailand could be facing ASEAN sanctions if they don't live up to their end of the bargain...no?

The funny thing about beer threads is that everyone thinks they are experts simply because they drink a lot of it, going on to comment on how bad different beer's ingredients and brewing practices are etc...

People who don't know anything about the production of beer and the different ingredients and chemicals that are used, should really refrain from making silly comments on such things.

Because it is now just after 2pm, I suspect that the numbers of people viewing this topic will increase until 5pm. :)

This is absolutely true.

The Thai government in their infinite wisdom decided several years ago to restrict alcohol sales between certain hours most notably between 2pm and 5pm. Guess what? That's the time when many people are in supermarkets doing their shopping and thus are unable to buy a few bottles of beer or wine for the evening

Presumably the foolish idea was that it would prevent young people from obtaining alcohol during the time when they were returning home from school etc.

However as most readers already know, the beer that 7-11 refuses to sell you is quite easily available down the soi at the local "mom & pop " shop. No questions asked, no cash receipt etc. So how many under age buyers actually walk into Tops, Carrefour, Tesco etc during the restricted hours looking to buy beer? Not many.

One day the owners of the big stores will wake up, in the meantime, I am quite happy to buy my Leo or Heineken at Somchai's small shop minutes away.

In all countries rice is used in beer production, except in Germany where it is illegal.

As a Belgian I know very well that we have a lot of delicious traditional beers, some of them being brewed by monks, but they are hardly exported.

As to the Belgian pilsner beers, they are average to poor, not a single one compares to Carlsberg.

The only Belgian beer that is more or less widely spread in the world, Stella Artois, is just miserable.

Some bars in Bangkok sell draught Hoegaarden...even some Irish pubs do :)

And once in a while I do like my Duvel, Leffe, Maredsous, Rodenbach, Orval, Kriek, etc...etc...etc..... :D

But I would really love to get Beer Lao in Pattaya !

Cheers ( santé ! )