Cabinet To Suspend Bt31 Million Aid For Cambodia

webfact

Cabinet to suspend project of Bt31 million aid for Cambodia: Suthep

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said Thursday that the Cabinet will not deliberate a project to grant aid worth Bt31 million to Cambodia.

The project was initially scheduled to be considered by the Cabinet on Tuesday.

Suthep said the project would be indefinitely suspended.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

And:

Finance Ministry ordered to review soft loan worth Bt1 billion for Cambodia

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Thursday ordered the Finance Ministry to review a soft loan worth Bt 1 billion for Cambodia for a road construction project, Deputy Finance Minister Pruttichai Damrongrat said.

Speaking to reporters after a meeting of the National Security Council on retaliatory against Cambodia, Pruttichai said Abhisit told the ministry to review the loan for the construction of the Highway No 68 from Chong Jom in Surin to Cambodia.

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

to review the loan for the construction of the Highway No 68 from Chong Jom in Surin to Cambodia.

Sure, a road from Surin to Cambodia.. Just poor Issanites there, why would they need a road. :)

Given that Thailand exports a lot more to Cambodia (the demand for Thai products is clearly there) this hurts the people in that part of Surin MORE than it does Cambodia.

Petty and childish IMHO.. ..keep digging Mr. Abhisit, then wonder why it all fell apart.. Clue: It's for not respecting large parts of the country, people who DO matter!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

to review the loan for the construction of the Highway No 68 from Chong Jom in Surin to Cambodia.

Sure, a road from Surin to Cambodia.. Just poor Issanites there, why would they need a road. :)

Given that Thailand exports a lot more to Cambodia (the demand for Thai products is clearly there) this hurts the people in that part of Surin MORE than it does Cambodia.

Petty and childish IMHO.. ..keep digging Mr. Abhisit, then wonder why it all fell apart.. Clue: It's for not respecting large parts of the country, people who DO matter!

There's already a bl88dy road there, <deleted> are they talking about! You can drive from Prasart to Chong Jom, and then into Cambodia, and then all the way to Angkor if you want!

The ones they stated they would buy from other countries? (in one of the other news threads) - so not only has he cost Cambodia 31million baht, but all the Thai products they buy today will start costing more because of the extra shipping involved :)

Ooops...

Plus he spent a percentage of his opening speach in Cambodia takeing pot-shots at Thailand and its Government, look on the bright side tho, he got to see Angkor Wat and play golf with the Ex-Khmer Rouge PM

But look at it on the bright side; think of all those foreign (Thai made) products that Cambodians aren't buying if the borders close.. That saves money. :)

currently no one want to close the border.

Unfortunately all economic blockades just hit the poor hard working guys, not Hun Sens private pocket.

So this is Thaksin's economic mastery at work?

1 billion in soft east terms loans,

and 31 million baht freebie less aid coming into Cambodia.

What a master stroke for Hun Sen too.

Bravo Dr. T.

dam_n, I want to hire this bloke to do my accounts! NOT.

Edited by animatic

So the poor majority will remain the poor , but rest assured that they will carry on their lives unabashed , what they never had in their pockets surely will not be missed . As to Thai imports , should that become a matter for concern I will be most surprised , Thai exporters will be the most affected and there are a zillion moto-men willing and able to transport practically anything from anywhere .

Do worry, 'Thaksin can help Cambodia'

See BBC link for more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8356837.stm

Thanks, an interesting link.

A few real gems in there though:

'He has been very successful in his business and in leading Thailand out of the severe financial crisis in 1997'

Yes, he has and my memory fails the older I get, I can't remember him being PM in 1997

'He is smart and has a lot of experience in his country, which is in the same area as ours.' :)

They are right though, that Cambodia needs all the help it can get. They could do without this spat; as could Thailand. They could also do without a PM who controls the media, rigs elections and who sold his country's greatest historical asset to an oil company owned by himself and his buddies.

'He has been very successful in his business and in leading Thailand out of the severe financial crisis in 1997'

Yes, he has and my memory fails the older I get, I can't remember him being PM in 1997

Crisis hit in 1997.. Chuan wasn't getting anywhere. Then in 2001 Thaksin / TRT get in and sort it all out in virtually no time at all.

They are right though, that Cambodia needs all the help it can get. They could do without this spat; as could Thailand. They could also do without a PM who controls the media, rigs elections and who sold his country's greatest historical asset to an oil company owned by himself and his buddies.

Historical asset? Huh? You cannot sell what you don't own, so whatever he sold was his own stuff.. Including Shin Corp which owned a bunch of stuff, Thai Air Asia and so on. Historical asset?

The catastrophe manifested in 1997 while Chavalit was PM and Thaksin was a deputy PM, two peas in a pod. Chavalit and Thaksin were the dynamic duo engineers in that man made disaster to Thailand.

Subsequently, Chavalit faded and the wily and craftyThaksin surged as the next savior of Thailand. Yet another savior of Thailand, indeed! And now here we are, come full circle with Chavalit as leader of Thaksin's new proxy party, the PTP.

Talk about different but same same..................

The catastrophe manifested in 1997 while Chavalit was PM and Thaksin was a deputy PM, two peas in a pod. Chavalit and Thaksin were the dynamic duo engineers in that man made disaster to Thailand.

Subsequently, Chavalit faded and the wily and craftyThaksin surged as the next savior of Thailand. Yet another savior of Thailand, indeed! And now here we are, come full circle with Chavalit as leader of Thaksin's new proxy party, the PTP.

It was called the 'Asian Economic Crisis' for a reason; affected all countries in the region. ( Though I have little love for Chavalit who was quite possibly Thailand's worst elected PM ever. )

It was called the 'Asian Economic Crisis' for a reason; affected all countries in the region. ( Though I have little love for Chavalit who was quite possibly Thailand's worst elected PM ever. )

The 1997 East Asian Economic and Financial Meltdown ORIGINATED in Thailand. Check your facts.

And of course there are a multiplicity of reasons the meltdown originated in Thailand. Chavalit and Thaksin were the prime movers and shakers. Thaksin's ostensible reason for joining the Chavailt government - solving Bangkok's traffic problems in six months - always was fraudulent and a pretense. Thaksin was in the Chavalit government to save his fortune and to leave Chavalit holding the bag. Thaksin didn't give a shit about Thailand.

Thaksin in 1997 was economics advisor to the PM, just a different PM in Chavalit, and to tend to Thaksin's own interests, same as in his present capacity with yet another PM and for a different government, Cambodia and different head of state.

Thaksin, the man of the people!

Which people???

Edited by Publicus

So let's border trade stop. Thai won't have to sell them goods, we are richer than Khmer. They can turn to China goods through Laos and Vietnam, no sweats. Malaysia and Singapore are just across the gulf, no problem. Because, we are richer. We don't need you, you need us. Kowtow, now! Khmer and we will give you a few coins for the dirt roads. Satisfy now?

Predictable stuff. It doesnt mean in 6 months or so it wont be back to normal though.

How many of Cambodias goods ship from Thai ports which are more accesible?

By the way, wasnt Thaksin was brought into government by Chavalit after the devaluation to try and make the economic team look less inept.

Crisis hit in 1997.. Chuan wasn't getting anywhere. Then in 2001 Thaksin / TRT get in and sort it all out in virtually no time at all.

Historical asset? Huh? You cannot sell what you don't own, so whatever he sold was his own stuff.. Including Shin Corp which owned a bunch of stuff, Thai Air Asia and so on. Historical asset?

If this was WWII you'd be a German or Japanese radio host we'd all be calling you 'Axis Winnie' or 'Toyko Kwai'. The allies loved tuning in....it was the best source of a laugh many people could find.

Some things never change.

I find that a a little offensive, especially coming from an honorary member? Typically when people drag in WWII it means they're out of valid arguments.

To even compare the current childish Thai-Cambodian incidents with ANY war (never mind the horrors of WWII) says a lot more about your mindset than about the actual situation at hand.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I find that a a little offensive, especially coming from an honorary member? Typically when people drag in WWII it means they're out of valid arguments.

To even compare the current childish Thai-Cambodian incidents with ANY war (never mind the horrors of WWII) says a lot more about your mindset than about the actual situation at hand.

I agree with this. Never understood the WW2 comparisons