Iphone In Phuket

siamdivers

Just wondering if anyone is using an iPhone in Phuket and can tell me if True or AIS is better. iStudio's staff didn't seem to have an informed opinion, but I have not seen or asked the owner yet. He normally has a more straight answer to things for me.

I have an AIS number, but don't mind switching, and True is offering a monthly payment scheme. Also, True seems to be on the edge of having a great "3G" Internet connection here.

Can anyone guide me before I drop 28,000 THB on this sucker?

Thanks! John

Hi

I have iphone and i had True for a number of years, just changed to AIS to many problems with True in Nai Harn a lot of times no reception, my GF has the same phone and she has full reception on hers with AIS, True is also much slower on Edge, got a lot off missed calls (phone did not ring) also True only has 3G a very few places in Phuket, got AIS now and happy with the service. Just remember to get a data plan, just say you have a BB then its only 650 a month, iphone will stay on line if you’re not very careful and it can get expensive, read another tread here.

Hi

I have iphone and i had True for a number of years, just changed to AIS to many problems with True in Nai Harn a lot of times no reception, my GF has the same phone and she has full reception on hers with AIS, True is also much slower on Edge, got a lot off missed calls (phone did not ring) also True only has 3G a very few places in Phuket, got AIS now and happy with the service. Just remember to get a data plan, just say you have a BB then its only 650 a month, iphone will stay on line if you’re not very careful and it can get expensive, read another tread here.

I agree 100% both with AIS being better and the need for a data plan. The only thing I can add is that DTAC is not up to the quality of AIS in terms of network (I am a DTAC sub) but havent switched to AIS because there is no number portability.

Hi, thanks for that. Yes, I read that thread about the expense of it, that's one thing that worried me about AIS. I have been a customer with them for a long time but never have had a 'smart' phone before, didn't really see the need but now I have a need so there you go. Things change.

I am in Baan Sai Yuan, so I guess I would have the same connection problems as you were having. That's not good.

Only problem with AIS is that I have to pay cash for the phone, True has a payment plan. That's a nice thing currently for me.

Thanks everyone for your responses, very kind. There is a Facebook page for iPhone in Thailand now too, but mostly Bangkok folks (and the moderator is Graham Rogers who writes the Mac column for the Post Database). Can't post a link here I guess, so just search for it if you're on FB.