Foodgroup: Shnitzel

Michaelaway

Wiener Schnitzel or alternatively, Vienna Schnitzel (Wiener Schnitzel in German, where Schnitzel means a cutlet without bones), pronounced /viːnər ʃnɪtzəl/, is a traditional Austrian dish and is a popular part of Viennese and Austrian cuisine, consisting of a thin slice of veal coated in breadcrumbs and fried. In Austria the dish is traditionally served with a lemon slice, lingonberry jam and either potato salad or potatoes with parsley and butter. While the traditional Wiener Schnitzel is made of veal, it is now sometimes made of pork, though in that case it is often called Schnitzel Wiener Art (Germany) or Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein (Austria) to differentiate it from the original. In Austria, the term Wiener Schnitzel is protected by law, and any schnitzel called by that name has to be made from veal.[1] The dish may have originated in Milan, northern Italy, as cotoletta alla milanese, and may have appeared in Vienna during the 15th or 16th century. According to another theory, it was introduced in 1857 by Field Marshal Radetzky, who spent much of his life in Milan. The term Wiener Schnitzel itself dates to at least 1862

Hi!

I read this today and realized that I never tried any kind of shnitzel, good or bad. So, now I figure I might as well go ahead and expand my culinary horizons in a shnitzerly direction. Please tell me: Where's your favorite shnitzel place 'round here, and why...? Danke schoen. :)

post-72929-1258193909_thumb.jpg

Well, I've never had schnitzel in Pattaya, but I've had it at a couple places in Bangkok. Not the best. I guess it would be ok if you had never had schnitzel. I used to live in Europe, though, and had amazing schnitzel in Germany and Austria, so I guess maybe my standards are too high. :) I guess I really shouldn't expect to dine on authentic schnitzel in Thailand! Sorry I can't help, but good luck to ya. I hope you find some GOOD schnitzel!

Hey, thanks for the above ideas; I hope more people will comment. What do Pattaya restaurants normally serve along with the scnitzel? And one more thing I'd like to know, please: Do they always serve schnitzel plain, as in the photo? Looks a bit plain. What do people do- use ketchup or mustard with schnitzel? Seems to me this kind of cutlet would be delicious with mushroom-cognac sauce, or something. Good schnitzel talk...

The Ola or Olu restaurant on Soi 7 opposite the first cut through to Pattaya Klang walking south or opposit World wide bar had a special for a few weeks of Shnitzel plus french fries for B105 and it was very good .They no longer have it on special but i am sure that they will still do it for you .( Its a Scandanavian owned restaurant on the corner )

Yes, they can feel a bit plain. I believe that "real" Austrians and Germans squeeze lemon juice on schnitzel - it's delicious that way! I've used ketchup before too, but I don't think the Austrians would approve of that. In Austrian restaurants, they sometimes do offer different types of sauces. For example, "Jaeger Schnitzel" is a piece of schnitzel covered in a mushroom gravy sauce. Sometimes schnitzel can be rolled and stuffed with other ingredients. There's other variations, too. The Austrians have many ways to serve schnitzel!

Yes, they can feel a bit plain. I believe that "real" Austrians and Germans squeeze lemon juice on schnitzel - it's delicious that way! I've used ketchup before too, but I don't think the Austrians would approve of that. In Austrian restaurants, they sometimes do offer different types of sauces. For example, "Jaeger Schnitzel" is a piece of schnitzel covered in a mushroom gravy sauce. Sometimes schnitzel can be rolled and stuffed with other ingredients. There's other variations, too. The Austrians have many ways to serve schnitzel!

Yup! That's the ticket. That's what I'm talking about, Jaeger Schitzel (who knew?), or rolled, stuffed schnitzel! Like to try those, so... can anyone say where's the best place around here for those kinds of schnitzel...? Thanks again for all the great s-talk!

Does anyone use veal instead of pork?

tropo - if you can find anyone using veal please let me know. One 5* restaurant here that has /had it on the menu, says it is veal but if it was veal then I am 18 years old :) As a matter of fact I actually tried a second time and again was disappointed and have never been back. The worst part was the price indicated that it should have been veal!

Yup! That's the ticket. That's what I'm talking about, Jaeger Schitzel (who knew?), or rolled, stuffed schnitzel! Like to try those, so... can anyone say where's the best place around here for those kinds of schnitzel...? Thanks again for all the great s-talk!

Most popular are the "Jaeger Schnitzel" (brown sauce with mushrooms) and "Zigeuner Schnitzel" [gipsy schnitzel] (tomato-like sauce with onions, paprika's, etc) and of course the plain schnitzel with a drop of lemon.

The stuffed 'schnitzel' goes more in the direction of a Cordon Blue: blue cheese, wrapped in slices of pork-filet, combined with ham and covered in a crispy skin; not really German or Austrian, but favorite as well.

The area just North of the Delphin Roundabout is famous for its German orientated restaurants, but all over Pattaya you can find them.

tropo - if you can find anyone using veal please let me know. One 5* restaurant here that has /had it on the menu, says it is veal but if it was veal then I am 18 years old :) As a matter of fact I actually tried a second time and again was disappointed and have never been back. The worst part was the price indicated that it should have been veal!

If you can't find the real deal veal at a 5* restaurant, then I think we'll just have to give up trying to find it. I'm not interested in pork schnitzel.

How much did they sting you for their "veal" dish?

Sailor Restaurant (you have to walk through Sailor Bar) on Soi 8 has very acceptable schnitzel. At 80 baht or whatever, it is a great value. Comes with choice of potato. You won't be disappointed...

I went there today .Its good value for B80 ,but has limited taste due to being taken from the freezer and fryied .OlaOla i spoke of before have increased their price for high season to B150 .

Hey, thanks for the above ideas; I hope more people will comment. What do Pattaya restaurants normally serve along with the scnitzel? And one more thing I'd like to know, please: Do they always serve schnitzel plain, as in the photo? Looks a bit plain. What do people do- use ketchup or mustard with schnitzel? Seems to me this kind of cutlet would be delicious with mushroom-cognac sauce, or something. Good schnitzel talk...

only lemon is allowed! The Schnitzel (and to the OP: It is spelled sCh for chrisssake!!!!) is supposed to be very very thin but some 30 cm across. Crispy. VERY crispy. Comes with nothing but a green salad and homefries.

Those who try to sell you gypsy/hunter/whatever sauce are probably Germans and since Vienna is in the Balkan, they have no clue what they're doing. Get this from a German :)

If you can't find the real deal veal at a 5* restaurant, then I think we'll just have to give up trying to find it. I'm not interested in pork schnitzel.

How much did they sting you for their "veal" dish?

It was around the 600 Baht price. Can't remember exactly as it was a while ago. But I will let you know if I get veal anywhere!!

It was around the 600 - 700 baht mark.