Using Kasikorn Atm Card In United States

I'd like to be able to make ATM withdrawals while in the US from my Kasikorn account using my Kasikorn ATM/Debit (Visa) card.

Will this work?

Do different US banks charge different fees and give different exchange rates when using their ATM's, or is this all dependent upon what Kasikorn charges.

Are the current onshore/offshore rates about even? If not, which rates will be used when withdrawing from my Kasikorn account via an ATM in the US?

I'm wondering if it's worth bringing THB (cash) to the US and exchanging there, or depositing it into my Kasikorn account and withdrawing via ATM in the US. Obviously the ATM would be safer, but I don't want to get hit for lots of extra fees and bad exchange rates.

Yes if you have the Visa Debit card in will work in the U.S. Kasikorn Bank will charge you a 100 baht foreign withdrawl fee as do all Thai banks. The bank in the U.S. whose ATM you use will charge you a fee ranging from US$2.00 to $5.00. The exchange rate is set by Visa with a 1% surcharge. It can get pretty pricey using your ATM card overseas. I think the best thing to do is to go to Bangkok Banks main branch on Silom and get Traveller's Cheques. You get a better exchange rate and the issuance fee is 1% of the Thai Baht cost added on. For some reason all banks in Thailand stopped selling Traveller's Cheques on January 1st of this year except for Bangkok Bank who still sells Amex TCs but only at a few select branches. The two I know are the Main Branch and Siam Paragon.

You ATM card will work in the USA. Fees depend on your bank and ATM used. I use my Siam Commercial when in the US. I use the ATM at my US bank which is a credit union and they do not charge me a fee, the only fee I get charged is the one from Siam.

Never tired to use it as a VISA, but I'm sure that will work to. You can bring cash, but you need to exchange the Thai baht before leaving the US. I have not seen any exchange in the USA that will change Thai Baht, but i could be wrong on this. Like Jackbox stated your best bet would be travelers check, these get good rates, safe and accepted everywhere in the US.

Have a good trip!!!

from personal experience....

the u.s. banks will accept thai baht even if stuffed in a handbag.... lol

but you'll have to wait around two to three weeks for them to convert at their leisure and convenience into usd....

at donmuang, my wife's god mother handed her a small handbag.... disembarking in san francisco, a flight attendant chasing after my wife calling out--madam, madam, you forgot your handbag....

at the immigration--welcome to america madam.... she lighted up like a christmas tree.... lol

at the customs--do you have anything else to declare, other than what are on this list? no....

at the embassy suite.... what was your god mother whispering to you about? oh,.... she said to have plenty of fun and to remember to bring ten pepparoni pizzas for her friends at mission street....?

where is mission street, por? downtown....

are you sure your god mother said mission street? ka, por....

becoming intensely interested now, i asked.... what is inside? mai roo ka, por, don't know....

at the BOA.... we were asked to fill out the declaration form and explained the source of funds....

yes, the bank will take thai baht and exchange it for you.... but firstly the notes have to be authenticated....

have fun....

Thanks for the excellent feedback.

Travelers checks are probably the best route for my needs right now. - Anyone know if they should be declared when leaving / entering Thailand & USA?

Thanks for the tip about SuperRich1965. I'm thinking I'll check their rates against Bangkok Bank, and if the rates are close enough I'll just pay the 1% for the Amex travelers cheques.

FYI - when someone visited me from the US about 2 years ago they bought THB at JFK. Has this stopped, only available in international departures area, only sell and not buy, .... ?

Edited by surface

Yes if you have the Visa Debit card in will work in the U.S. Kasikorn Bank will charge you a 100 baht foreign withdrawl fee as do all Thai banks. The bank in the U.S. whose ATM you use will charge you a fee ranging from US$2.00 to $5.00. The exchange rate is set by Visa with a 1% surcharge.

I had a similar experience when I used my BKK Bank ATM card in China. B100 ATM fee from BKK Bank, but no ATM fee from the dispensing bank. That was several years ago so I don't know about the current ATM fees there...

FYI - when someone visited me from the US about 2 years ago they bought THB at JFK. Has this stopped, only available in international departures area, only sell and not buy, .... ?

There is an FX franchise as most major US airports called Travelex and they exchange most major currencies. However, whether you buy or sell to them, you will get a very, very unfavorable rate. For small amounts maybe less then $300 then it is not so bad but anything more than that, it is better to look elsewhere. :)

from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Declaration Form 6059B - Instructions

13. Mark an X in the Yes or No box. Are you or any family members traveling with you bringing $10,000 or more in U.S. dollars or foreign equivalent in any form into the United States?

Read definition of monetary instruments on the reverse side of the form.

Examples: coins, cash, personal or cashier's check,
traveler's checks,
money orders, stocks, bonds.

If yes, your must complete the Customs Form 4790.