Miami Hotel

srowndedbyh2o

From my first trip to Thailand in 1982, I have always stay at the Miami Hotel on Sukhumvit. Even back then the hotel was a bit worn, and had a bit of a “sketchy” feel to it, but for some reason I always returned. It has been many, many years since I have been back. I just took a look at their website and they make the hotel look very nice. Anyone know if there has ever been any refurbishing/updating to this “Old Timer”?

Thanks.

i just happened to visit the hotel to see how their accomodation was like compared to the Raumchit plaza hotel along side

near Suk 15.

As it appeared to me, the structure (walk up 3 storey type motel building) appeared a bit old but maintained. The room very similar to a motel in the US. I asked the owner how much the daily rate is and she quoted

me a price of 900 baht per day (single or double) without 2 bottle water in room & daily breakfast. There is a restaurant also situated in the lobby area. As I am on a very short layover (12 hours) in Bangkok next week, I'am planning to rest there.

I remember staying there back in 1974. It was the cheapest place around for a low paid soilder. Had some good memories from back then with the swimming pool and drunks diving from their rooms into the pool.

The Golden Palace Hotel on Suk Soi 1 was my favorite for lots of years, and, yes, price has gone up from the baht 70 charged back in the early 1970s. So's the price of Singha.

Mac

I think that they have tarted up the exterior, new sign, facade etc but the rooms are still the same. I haven't been their since I met a few cockroaches in the room. The location is excellent. The rooms might have had a faded grandness about them thirty years ago. Now they are just faded. None of the TVs or fridges work. They don't provide water. But for somewhere central to drunkenly crash it is fine. If you need to spend some time in the room, best avoided.

rfukata; if you end up staying there, post back on this forum or pm me on how it goes.

Nowhereman60;

Had some good memories from back then with the swimming pool and drunks diving from their rooms into the pool.
, Yeah, there were plenty of times I was tempted, but never took the plunge!

Geekfreaklover; Unlike several other hotels I’ve stayed in, I never had a problem with cockroaches at the Miami, although the tv’s never seem to work, or at best get one or two “snowy” channels, and the AC always seem to produce more noise than cold air.

I did always love the pool, and I’ve spent many an hour lounging in the coffee shop.

Like I said, I first stayed there in ’82, I was in my mid 20’s and on my first trip to TLand.

I guess I’ll always have a nostalgia for that first time, and find myself trying to recapture some of that feeling.