Low Season And Transportation

kosh

Just arrived with a low season cheap flight....

Bkk Airways "merged" two flights, so one hour later....

Minibus at airport only run for 5 people at any destination.

You already guessed, i was the only person for Lamai.

Choise: 700b taxi or 150b to Chaweng and songtae or taxi, no big problem if no baggage..... :D

Luckily the next flight from Thai arrived and there was another guy for Lamai so we split the taxi.

Island seems full of traffic and empty shops, i assume they are all residents waiting for turists.... :)

songtae all empty, transportation will not be good....and apart this week with sun, it is raining season....

the island really need some form of basic public transportation.

Kosh

Just a thought, but aren't Songthaos and Taxis basic transportation?? :D

Yes, but i added "public" that is always running for 50b around the island, Bangkok like....

or at least let Songthaw at airport...

700b from and 500b to airport for a taxi is simply a robbery and as i wrote sometimes there is no alternative.

tomorrow is raining, do you think that people will go to chaweng to wait for a songtaw under rain?

what it leaves me thinking was that the other guy on my taxi stopped at a bungalow that costs 6000b monthly...

sooner or later a taxi will cost like a room for 1 month :)

My thoughts are:

Who would subsidize the Public Transportation system? :)

Do we really need a bunch of buses running around the island with one or two people in them? (except for perhaps peek times of the day????? or year?). :D

Do we want more Diesel fumes polluting the atmosphere, from buses? ... I think not. :D

Are the streets off the ring road capable of handling bus traffic? :D

I suspect you want Door to Door service too? :D

Take a Taxi & deal with it......

Edited by samuijimmy

Who would subsidize the Public Transportation system? rolleyes.gif

Do we really need a bunch of buses running around the island with one or two people in them? (except for perhaps peek times of the day????? or year?). dry.gif

Do we want more Diesel fumes polluting the atmosphere, from buses? ... I think not. sad.gif

Are the streets off the ring road capable of handling bus traffic? rolleyes.gif

Nooo. We love the Taxi-meter and the horning sangtews. :)

I am starting a buffalo & cart service. Advanced bookings taken ( well in advance), give me time to get there.

Airport _ Chaweng xpress 3 hours. Snacks & refreshaments supplied.

PS : Drivers required.

Poop scoopers also required.

Now that would be the go :)

and even if there were big "Public" busses waiting at the airport, what you think how long it takes, to get to Lamai?

The bus will not go straight there, it will stop in bang rak at every hotel, in chaweng..... then in Lamai, about 2hours later.

whats the result?

People will complain about the "very long transfer time".

and for sure, it cannot be done for 50 baht around the island.

why not ask a friend over there to come and pick you up?

for sure, a "good" friend will do it for free, his car dont need petrol, has free time enough, his car never needs repairs....

To be honest, most of the tourists get transfer from the hotel they booked,no problem if charged 500 to 700 baht.

why not ask a friend over there to come and pick you up?

for sure, a "good" friend will do it for free, his car dont need petrol, has free time enough, his car never needs repairs....

your car as well i thought it was just mine that went to and from airport on fresh air, with no wear and tear, oh and then theres the insurance which comes free

If

- the shuttle bus does not go to Lamai, because you are the only one

- the hotel does not pick you up

- nothing pre arranged by an Internet pick up service

- you do not have someone privately to pick you up

- no own car or motorcycle parked at/near the airport

- you don't wanna pay for a taxi

- you don't wanna walk

- you don't wanna hitch hike

then you take the shuttle to Chaweng and from there a songteaow for 60 Baht to Lamai before 18:00h, later I would consider the above mentioned.

I am starting a buffalo & cart service. Advanced bookings taken ( well in advance), give me time to get there.

Now that would be the go :D

ah! Roo's laugh of the day, I love it!!!

Life in the slow lane....... But wait!!! Then everyone will complain about the Buffalo Carts, holding up other traffic! :):D

You can dry & bag the poo & sell it for 80 baht a bag... call it "Roo's Poo" :D

I suggest a pilot program from Airport to Chawang & Lamai.... we have enough buffalos in Maenam, already!!!! :D

Let's see, 100 carts, "running" around, at 2 kms per hour X all that poo.... could be a money maker!!! :D

and even if there were big "Public" busses waiting at the airport, what you think how long it takes, to get to Lamai?

The bus will not go straight there, it will stop in bang rak at every hotel, in chaweng..... then in Lamai, about 2hours later.

whats the result?

To be honest, most of the tourists get transfer from the hotel they booked,no problem if charged 500 to 700 baht.

Yeah, the trend seems only 5 star resort, minimum 10.000b per day plus transportation.

If Samui wants that kind of tourist go for it, everybody elese can always find another isalnd with maybe normal taxi meter...

Life in the slow lane....... But wait!!! Then everyone will complain about the Buffalo Carts, holding up other traffic! :):D

I suggest a pilot program from Airport to Chawang & Lamai.... we have enough buffalos in Maenam, already!!!! :D

Let's see, 100 carts, "running" around, at 2 kms per hour X all that poo.... could be a money maker!!! :D

Roo you are a true visionary!

Opportunity knocks! There could also be a surcharged super-express buffalo service using lean fit GT Buffs. The departure area out of the airport

would be like a scene from Ben Hur as all the galloping buffalos with their chariots fight to get pole position. :D

Roo you are a true visionary!

Opportunity knocks! There could also be a surcharged super-express buffalo service using lean fit GT Buffs. The departure area out of the airport

would be like a scene from Ben Hur as all the galloping buffalos with their chariots fight to get pole position. :D

We can then have cart night racing around the lake, Singapore eat your heart out.

Samui would be the major mover & shaker in the Green Movement, by being the biggest exporter of POO in Thailand.They will have so much revenue, they wouldn't know what to do with it .

TRIVIA QUESTION:

Does anyone know where the old cart roads between Lamai & chaweng, Lamai & Maenam were?

RE: ---- "TRIVIA QUESTION:

Does anyone know where the old cart roads between Lamai & chaweng, Lamai & Maenam were?"

I suspect they are some of the dirt roads that run through the middle if the island, I have done several on my motor bike, definitely not for nervous Nellie's, on a bike... some of the roads are pretty rough & steep, but there are some lovely views, flora & scenery... in the centre of the island... it is surprising how many local people live in the middle of "no where" with no electricity etc... & farming the land.

In Maenam, I suspect it is Soi 5, which is very steep towards the top... easier coming from other direction The Jungle Safari trucks do this trip just about every day.

One place I stumbled on in the middle of the island, was called "Grand Kingdom" advertising coffee... :D Coffee made by boiling water with coconut husks! took about half an hour, but tasted good... they even had warm Coke for sale.... (no ice as no electric!)... Nice welcome, they spoke English well! (Primarily they grow Durien, that was interesting to see being picked) .... Perhaps could organize Cart tours there?... two day eco tours???? :D New resort too..... ? :)

Now this ridiculous topic is totally off track, perhaps in combo with the Buffalo Cart Poo, the coconuts husks that are burned, could be ground up & sold as soil amendments to hold moisture & help save water.... weren't you looking for a grinder Roo? we might be onto some thing here??? :D

Edited by samuijimmy

i am going to get my gf a taxi and make her be the only driver that puts it on the meter. wonder if she will get trouble from the other taxis for being to honest

beware if taxi meters in samui refuse to use meters because when one use it originally he was simply shot therefore check the facts ahead of your idea to send your girl friend to the Samui kill............

Samui is not offering good jeep renting neither jetskis by hte way and Hotels have ot provide shuttles as long as thy do not ripp every one off.

Many other islands in Thailand as a reminder......................