How To Set Up Own Website

samran

Fellas,

I am looking to set up my own website, mainly for limited use amongst a largish groups of freinds and aqaintances (sporting team) to begin with, and then roll it out a bit more if I can develop a larger footy league.

I have tried doing a google search on this, but all I get is websites trying to sell domain names and companies willing to act as host for the site. Don't know one from another.

Basically, I know nothing about what is good value in terms of purcashing a website domain name (.com/.net.org) and then getting someone to host it for me. I am also unsure what tools I need to build a site.

I have a few ideas, and wouldn't mind it being semi interactive, where posts can be shown amongst registered users. The rest of it would be photos, informations. I'd also be interested in dabbling with banner ads, similar to how TV already does them. Not that I expect it to make any money, but anything towards the teams finances does help!

I'm willing to learn how to build it myself as then I'd have the most control over it, but I'd also appriciate any tips from people about pitfalls to avoid and the like.

Thanks for you help,

Cheers

Samran

A few places to read before anything else:

http://htmlgoodies.com/ Learn html fast and easy.

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/ How NOT to make a website.

A basic site host runs around the $5-10 per month mark including a varying amout of pop3 emails. Some providers may help you with setting up a forum or mailing list. Look for a host with good online help if you are new to this.

Registering a .com/.net/.org domain costs anywhere from $10-20 per year depending on who you register it with. Your host can do it for you, or you can chose a domain name registration service such as networksolutions.com, godaddy.com, or register.com

Some country domains such as .ca, .au, or others may have additional restrictions on their use/ownership.

Get a free site like angelfire, geocities, or the webspace your isp provides if any and use it to play around with a bit before you pay out for a hosting agreement, domain, etc. I don't recommend using those sites for a serious website though, as few take anything in the freebie site's domains very seriously. Free forum software can be found at phpbb.com. If you want to get a bit fancier you can get Invision Power Board (Like Thaivisa) for a small yearly licence fee.

Grab yourself an html editor that is easy to use, and not too complicated or expensive. I use Nvu (It's free and flexible). And never make a site that can only be used with one type of browser. No use turning away people for no reason.

Oh, and pay your host monthly for the first few months, even if its more expensive as you will need to check them out before you commit for a year or more.

Good luck

cv

If you want a dynamic / interactive site, I'd suggest taking a look at content management systems, programs that automate much of the technical detail in construction and maintenance. I like XOOPS which is about as complicated to use as this discussion board, and does all of the things you have listed. There are many others around that do similar things...you can play with demo installations of most open source CMS here.

Nice thing about XOOPS...it comes with documentation. The 'visual introduction' runs through some of the features, there is an installation guide and and operations manual.

You can get reasonably reliable hosting for about $40 a year or less (beware ultra-low cost providers).

• 1 month later...

Based on some of the previous threads on this issue, I registered some domains with Yahoo for $5/year, quite happy with it.

I also have been trialling the 3iX hosting. I can't comment on their reliability just yet as I've only been with them for a few months, but I am impressed with the responsiveness and general helpfulness of their help desk, which for me is one of the more important things (nothing worse than a dead site and a host that won't answer your email). Very good service.

That's not a picture of Paul Keating is it ?!?

I have a dedicated server at www.interland.com. that might be too expensive for you, but I have good experience with that company and I am sure they also have cheap shared webspace.

For the html I used Macromedia Dreamweaver and now Frontpage. Both are very expensive or very cheap up to if you buy it as Original or pirated copy.....

if you look at www.psxtune.com you can get an idea about how fast interlands connection is to Thailand.......

last but not least on the beginning i would not sign a long time contract with an webspace provider, because many of them are subprovider and if they are not good you maybe want to change......

Fellas,

I am looking to set up my own website, mainly for limited use amongst a largish groups of freinds and aqaintances (sporting team) to begin with, and then roll it out a bit more if I can develop a larger footy league. 

I have tried doing a google search on this, but all I get is websites trying to sell domain names and companies willing to act as host for the site. Don't know one from another.

Basically, I know nothing about what is good value in terms of purcashing a website domain name (.com/.net.org) and then getting someone to host it for me. I am also unsure what tools I need to build a site.

I have a few ideas, and wouldn't mind it being semi interactive, where posts can be shown amongst registered users. The rest of it would be photos, informations. I'd also be interested in dabbling with banner ads, similar to how TV already does them. Not that I expect it to make any money, but anything towards the teams finances does help!

I'm willing to learn how to build it myself as then I'd have the most control over it, but I'd also appriciate any tips from people about pitfalls to avoid and the like.

Thanks for you help,

Cheers

Samran