What To Do?

ahinkel

Annual holiday to Los fast approaching, managing so far to abstain, and one day at a time. However, i am concerned i will fall back in to my old ways as soon as i get off the plane.Here in uk i can work and stay busy , but when your vacation usually involves nothing but bar mongering i feel i may struggle to keep the old head occupied. AA meetings are advertised in the town im headed , but never attended a meeting before , so i wonder how that would be. May be the only chance to stay sober though. Probably a question asked a hundred times on here.

Philo , been following your posts and hope you are well. All the best to everyone.

Have you considered trying AA in the UK before you come?

If you have a problem it really does not matter where you are in the world really, a problem is a problem.

If you tried a few meetings there and you felt they were beneficial then it would take away your trepidation about making this trip.

May I ask where you are intending to holiday in Thailand?

Many AA visitors to Thailand comment that the AA meetings here are amongst the best in the world.

There are many daily meetings in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai, and in these locations you are spoilt for choice. There are also meetings in other parts of Thailand.

Here is the link for full details:

AA THAILAND

You will find the people very friendly and they will make you welcome. I am sure your attendance will help you to stay sober - please give it a try.

If you are coming to Pattaya and you need a contact to take you along, then feel free to PM me.

Take care,

Mobi

(Reason for edit: link didn't work)

Edited by Mobi

Hi Ahinkel and welcome. The final years of my drinking were characterised by almighty benders usually in the bars of Chiang Mai. As you probably know already within certain limits Thailand is very drunk friendly especially if you are throwing money about and mainly hanging out in beer bars. My drinking was characterised by a general attitude of "f*-k it, might as well, I am not really an alcoholic and anyway I am on holiday now so a wee drink won't hurt.....", both in Thailand and more generally back in the UK. There is a saying, if you spend enough time in a barbershop, you'll get a haircut. You might not know that it is easier to stay sober than to get sober. I wouldn't rate your chances highly if you are hanging out in the bars here and trying to do it on willpower alone. If you are like me you'll drink for any reason, doesn't really matter, met a nice girl,let's celebrate, met an awful girl, need a drink. If you value not drinking, don't test yourself unnecessarily, avoid wet places. There's good advice here, try some AA meetings in the UK before you come out, and aim to spend some time in a place in Thailand where there are meetings. I am unavowedly AA and would point you in the direction of Hua Hin on the Gulf of Thailand, about 4 hours south of Bangkok, with the added benefit of a daily AA meeting and some night life but not like Pats. Best wishes

Sound replies from everyone and thank you for advice. Im headed to Samui and see theres a meeting daily not far from where i stay. I may have to attend meeting in uk before i come over, it makes sense. My last vacation to Los was ruined by my self destruction, and cant go through spoiling yet another holiday. Thank you again and have a good day everyone. ahinkell

Been 3 weeks clear of the old liquor now and feel totally rejuvenated. If you had told me this time last year i was going to acquire the big book , i would have said you were crazy . But here i am , making my way through the book. Big effort needed, but feel may be on track , hope alls well.

ahinkel

Will have to stay away from the bar scene, sin. That was the reason for the 1st post. Find meetings in the town and different things to do, instead of getting blind drunk, gotto try , right? Know what your sayin about the temptation, but i love thailand.

I know exactly what I would do in your position. I would book one of those 'well being health spa' packages down on Samui on Ko Phagnan. By the beach surrounded by people that are looking at dextoxing there bodies and generally chilling out. Take a few books and just chill out mate. You come back home feeling refreashed and five years younger.

You won't survive without drinking on the bar scene, so don't try it.

Good luck mate.

GFL.

Why put yourself into a position of temptation ? Go on holiday to a Muslim country, ideal for someone with a drink problem.

? DOn't see what religion has to do with it. There's plenty of bars and hookers in places like Malaysia, Dubai, INdonesia, to name the three muslim countries I've been to.

Luckily, the OP is taking good advice, and concentrating on doing other things, rather than sitting around not drinking all day.

SC