New Restaurant In Mukdahan For Foreigners

DJH77

There is finally a restaurant for Foreigners in Mukdahan. It is situated on the bank of the Mekong river 4 Klm south of the Indo-China Markets, just drive south down the river road past the new Anna Wanna hotel and on about 1.5 klm to soi anurak bumroong 1 on the left, turn down here to the river and your there. Its a big house-Western style, just drive in the gate and park. The restaurant is situated around the swimming pool with views for miles up the Mekong river and of Suvannakhet and the Bridge in the distance. They have everything from Meat pies with mash & peas to the Best Steak, Lamb, Duck and Fish from the Sea, No Mekong Catfish here. So if your around Mukdahan and want the best food this is it. There are no signs along the way or outside the restaurant yet so here the info if you can't find it. Mukdahan Manor's Song Fung Khong Restaurant, Tel.042632577. :)

Are Thais allowed to eat in this new restaurant? :)

Simon

Simon, of course Thai's are welcome. In fact 90% of the clientel over the past month have been Thai's rangeing from the new Governor and his Family, twice,through to many local business owners, Bank managers & staff, Immigration & customs officers and general working class people. About 70% of the Thai customers actually order from the Western menu, mainly Steaks, Lamb or seafood. Some even telephone to book their table and pre-order dishes like Italian Spaghetti which is not on the menu but takes 3 hours to cook correctly. We have 2 chefs, one French trained & the other for both Thai & Western food who work in a purpose built Western style All Stainless Steel Hygenic kitchen which is open for your inspection at any time. I hope this answers any questions that you may have had. But i must mention that there is also a 5 star Cocktail Bar where you can sit and relax to enjoy a pre-dinner drink or wash it all down after dining in comfort. The beverage list is very extensive to say the least.

Do you have a website? A menu online somewhere? Sounds all very yummy and plan to be up that way soon.

Sorry Mate, No website yet & not even a sign, but in time we will get there,i hope, as i'm flat out even getting the hang of computers now. Hope you find us when you come to Muk.

• 2 weeks later...

would you like some lettuce for your restaurant? I have some lettuce Cos, Red Oak, Green Oak, Butter Head, Red Coral, Frillice Iceberg. all grown by hydroponics system. will ready in the middle of December then will have some to market every week. serve only in Muang Mukdahan.

would you like some lettuce for your restaurant? I have some lettuce Cos, Red Oak, Green Oak, Butter Head, Red Coral, Frillice Iceberg. all grown by hydroponics system. will ready in the middle of December then will have some to market every week. serve only in Muang Mukdahan.

yes i am very interested, you can contact me on 042.632577, Don.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there a couple of days ago, had a great lunch with my wife and friends. We had steaks which were cooked perfectly, accompanied with vegetables (inc sprouts) and a nice pepper sauce. The two wives had Tom Yum and Beef in Oyster Sauce, both expressed their enjoyment. Good value for money in a very nice setting.

I took some pictures and have permission from the owner (great host) to post them.

Entrance view from the road.

post-8857-1260960048_thumb.jpgpost-8857-1260960062_thumb.jpg

The Bar area

post-8857-1260960086_thumb.jpgpost-8857-1260960107_thumb.jpg

Outside seating and pool (note the view across the river)

post-8857-1260960132_thumb.jpgpost-8857-1260960156_thumb.jpg

Accomodation

post-8857-1260960289_thumb.jpgpost-8857-1260960639_thumb.jpg

post-8857-1260960174_thumb.jpg

Totster :)

Edited by Totster

I was there a couple of days ago, had a great lunch with my wife and friends. We had steaks which were cooked perfectly, accompanied with vegetables (inc sprouts) and a nice pepper sauce. The two wives had Tom Yum and Beef in Oyster Sauce, both expressed their enjoyment. Good value for money in a very nice setting.

I took some pictures and have permission from the owner (great host) to post them.

The Bar area

Accomodation

What a great looking place.

How much for a room?

The Bar area

Accomodation

Thanks Totster for the good review and the photo's you posted. To answer the other questions, YES we do have Bed & Breakfast Accommodation as in the photo's, Pool & River views, 1,200.00 baht / night. 2 person's Includes Full English or Thai full breakfast. Yes children can swim in the pool providing they do not disturbe other patrons and are supervised. For Bookings Ph. 042-632577

Yes Totster! Please post the menu. I live about an hour away. I think it would be great to drive up, stay a day in Mukdahan and rent a room there. I would need two rooms. How many rooms are available? Sounds like a place I need to look in to. Any more info. would be great.

You have me sold. Might bring my folks up when they visit next month. How many rooms do you have available?

We have the room shown in the pic's on the ground which opens onto the pool overlooking the river, King bed, Ensuite bathroom, walk in robe, TV, DVD, ceiling fan,AC etc. On the 1st floor we have 2 bedrooms, 1 with twin beds the other with King bed & lounge, both have TV, DVD, ceiling fan, walk in robes etc. There is a 2 way Large bathroom interconnecting between the 2 bedrooms with large 2 person shower, full size bath and a 2 basin granite vanity unit, plus a seperate entry toilet to service this area. The King room has views over the river & Savannakhett, Laos. All rooms have fixtures & fittings of the same high quality as the Pic's posted by Totster of the property. There is also parking for 10 cars in the grounds. Any Furthur enquiries Please Call me on 042-632577 or 0810474781. Regards DON.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've visited this restaurant a few times now and i'd strongly recommend it.

I asked Don the proprietor to provide me with a copy of the menu,which i've attached for the benefit of any potential customers.

MENU UPDATE: Blackboard Specials

[1] Thick Juicy Aussie Lamb Cutlets- Crumbed or Char Grilled served with Creamy mashed potatoes and Veg. [2] Pork Fillet Medallions wrapped in bacon, as tender as butter. [3] Herb Marinated Rabbit, sauteed in olive oil and slowly cooked in the old fashioned way.

You have me sold. Might bring my folks up when they visit next month. How many rooms do you have available?

We have the room shown in the pic's on the ground which opens onto the pool overlooking the river, King bed, Ensuite bathroom, walk in robe, TV, DVD, ceiling fan,AC etc. On the 1st floor we have 2 bedrooms, 1 with twin beds the other with King bed & lounge, both have TV, DVD, ceiling fan, walk in robes etc. There is a 2 way Large bathroom interconnecting between the 2 bedrooms with large 2 person shower, full size bath and a 2 basin granite vanity unit, plus a seperate entry toilet to service this area. The King room has views over the river & Savannakhett, Laos. All rooms have fixtures & fittings of the same high quality as the Pic's posted by Totster of the property. There is also parking for 10 cars in the grounds. Any Furthur enquiries Please Call me on 042-632577 or 0810474781. Regards DON.

Don,

I'm a believer. this is the guy looking for a contractor in Isaan. Looks like your guy did a great job. When ever I go to Mukdahan I stay at a hotel until I can build my home. I'd love to try your B&B. Do you have an email address to request reservations? I am out of Thailand for now and email is the easy way to contact somoene. I have a feeling you will be very busy.

Cheers and congrats.

The wife and my two young girls had a fantastic three day stay with Don at his wonderful house.

It had been a very stressful previous few months so the time we spent at Dons place was just what we needed to recharge the batteries. The views along the Mekhong were great, the pool was wonderful and the food was fantastic!

Don is a great man to chat with and he and his wife and two wonderful staff made you feel like part of the family.

If you are local in the area it is the sort of place that you could go for lunch and end up having a swim and staying for dinner! Highly recommended and we will be back.

muk.jpg

muk1.jpg

muk6.jpg

muk7.jpg

I just like to say that I can not recommend enough the food and service. we received here during our trip to mukdahan over new year.

Nice quite location just outside the city, and with some great view across to Laos.

My wife and I enjoyed the meals we had here, and the menu selection is great for both western and Thai food. My wife's parents also stayed in the room for rent over new year. They where very impressed with the service and room.

We will be visiting again when we are back in Mukdahan, and will be recommending to my parents to stay here on the next trip. Rather than the locals hotels.

Thanks again we hope to be back soon.