Govt's War Against Drug To Start

george

Govt's war against drug to start

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government plans to launch its third war against drugs as a result of growing concerns over increased attempts to smuggle drugs into Thailand from neighbouring countries.

The third war against drugs will be launched next week and run until June, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Saturday during his weekly radio address.

Mr. Thaksin will formally launch the campaign on Monday at the Police Club in Bangkok.

Special rewards will be given to those who apprehend drug smugglers during the Songkran festival, he said.

Narcotic smugglers are using the opportunity of government officials and security forces being pre-occupation with security matters to try to smuggle drugs into the country, he said.

Drug smuggling will continue as long as Thailand's neighbours remain poor, are dogged by internal fighting and border officials are inefficient, Mr. Thaksin said.

The Thai government will continue battle against drugs, he stressed.

Many young people have already kicked the habit but the government is totally committed to making sure the new generation is not addicted to drugs, he added.

--TNA 2005-04-19

I remember very vividly several years ago when Taksin, with much fanfare, declared Thailand free of drups. Now we are on the third war on drugs...I guess this is becoming an annual event. But I see now the problem is with the neighbouring countries (of course it's not a problem with Thailand but someone else causing the problems). I wonder if the Thai government will ever realize that the war on drugs is never ending and not just a 6 month "project".