Pizza

HDRIDER

Hi

I was just on Facebook to check out Phuket Pizza, i could not believe that top 10 list, No 7 La Cucina Italiana probably the worst pizza i have ever got in Phuket (this is about 2 years ago) seafood pizza and the shrimps still had their jackets on (shell) just so bad if you guys think that’s No 7 in Phuket i think you guys have to get out a little more, could not even get a decent cup of coffee, just my thought

Look like your never been North of Phuket Town, you should try there is a few good pizza places going past Phuket Town

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Size isn't everything!

Good pizzas on Nanai; don't know the name of the place - looks a bit run down and is on a corner just north of the "Nanai River" but seems popular with the local Italians and tasty, good value pizzas and pasta.

Hi

dam_n good Pizza for sure, run by 3 Italians 1 cook 1 pizza chef 1 waiter and 2 Thai girls i think, been coming there for years

Size isn't everything!

Good pizzas on Nanai; don't know the name of the place - looks a bit run down and is on a corner just north of the "Nanai River" but seems popular with the local Italians and tasty, good value pizzas and pasta.

Hi

dam_n good Pizza for sure, run by 3 Italians 1 cook 1 pizza chef 1 waiter and 2 Thai girls i think, been coming there for years

Hello, yes, sounds like the same place.......a wood fired oven in the corner nearest the main road and a small soi running up past the main entrance. I guess it has a name but I've never bothered to look!

HD - you went 2 years ago and had a bad experience.

La cucina has obviously changed since you visited it. Give it another try.

Also, a ranking of 7th in the pizza league equates it to Fulham.

Slightly better than average !

The Phuket Pizza Tuesday group rarely venture further north than Karon circle due to the logistics.

But they may do in the future.

HD - you went 2 years ago and had a bad experience.

La cucina has obviously changed since you visited it. Give it another try.

The Phuket Pizza Tuesday group rarely venture further north than Karon circle due to the logistics.

But they may do in the future.

Hi

OK thx

i promised myself never to go back to La cucina again, to many other places to visit, you might very well be right about its better now but i fell bad just driving past it :) , at that time i dont think they had any people there new about pizza, did it change owner?? i love a good pizza, what do you think about the new one in patak Villa?

i love a good pizza, what do you think about the new one in patak Villa?

Phuket Pizza Tuesday has been to the one in Patak Villa TWICE. Why twice? Well it gets quite a bit of exposure on here and after the first visit we thought we'd been to the wrong place. But nope. We hadnt.

The pizzas there are distinctly average. Nothing wrong with them per se but extremely average.

Put it this way, at 230 baht for a pizza they are the same price as M&M's.

M&M's are in a different league altogether for the same price.

If you then add in the general ambiance of the place................well, it's 'ok' but that's about it.

There are LOTS of places in Phuket that are 'ok'

We're trying to sort the good from the bad though.

La Cucina is slightly better than OK. Dunno if they changed hands since your last visit HD.

As i remember it, 7 Phuket Pizza Tuesday members turned up which gives a good group overview of the place. I just write people's comments down man !

No, considering there are easily more than 40 pizza places on the island, that puts it in the top, you have to look at least at the top 2 leagues.

No, considering there are easily more than 40 pizza places on the island, that puts it in the top, you have to look at least at the top 2 leagues.

Capanini in Kata.

Best pizza in Phuket. Thai staff in the italian food kitchen, but took Mario a year before any thai was allowed in the pizzabakery and another year before a thai was allowed making pizza alone for a few hours.

Try the Montanara for something unique

No. You're misunderstanding something.

Ok, at the MOMENT they are in 7th place. This is not their final standing.

Let me explain.

Imagine you had tested 10 restaurants and this one was in 7th position. Now, you could either assume that they are the 7th best restaurant in Phuket, OR you could assume they are the 3rd worst !!

Now then, clearly there are much more than 10 pizza joints in Phuket. Someone mentioned 40.

Please believe me, there are more than 40 in South Phuket alone (kata, karon, Phuket Town, Chalong, naiharn and Rawai)

La Cucina currently lie in 7th place. By the time all 40 or 50 restaurants have been tested, they may lie in 33rd place.

Does that make things clearer?

If you're from the UK, you may remember Hull City winning their first 6 games of the season and were top of the premier league. Did that mean they are the best team in England? NO ! Of course not. It's only when they've ALL been tested, home and away, that the final judgment of places can be made !

Someone mentioned 'what is pizza tuesday?'

It's a club on Facebook for pizza connoisseurs which, unsurprisingly, meet up on a Tuesday. It's independent too - so forget about all these glossy free handouts recommending such and such a restaurant. This is the real deal.

P Pizza house near Samkong Shrine (same side) is very popular. The owner worked in an Italian restaurant at Laguna Phuket for years. Very informal, friendly atmosphere and very good pizza and spaghetti. Reasonably priced, good Thai food too.

P Pizza house near Samkong Shrine (same side) is very popular. The owner worked in an Italian restaurant at Laguna Phuket for years. Very informal, friendly atmosphere and very good pizza and spaghetti. Reasonably priced, good Thai food too.

I ate there some years ago and received something like an 8 inch circular object with tomato and cheese on it which they told me was a 'pizza'

Yes it's cheap. But for good food, and i mean GOOD food, i am willing to pay a little extra.

As a benchmark, M&M's is 230 baht for a large and delicious pizza.

Salvatore's is about 280 - again, large, delicious and fresh.

2 or 300 baht isnt really 'expensive' so how cheap does a pizza have to be to make me eat it? I will give P Pizza the benefit of the doubt and try it again to see if it has improved, but if it hasnt, then it had better be almost free of charge - because excellence can be had for 230 baht.

Personally, always preferred calzone over pizza, more moist if cooked properly. There was a great place for this on the back road to Kata beach (coming off the road from Chalong Circle), but unfortunately they closed down some months ago. Pity, the guy (Italian) also had a stock of genuine Italian brandy, and did good espressos also. Sigh.

As I don't live in Phuket many of the places mentioned are alien to me, but the one place I always go for pizza when I'm in that neck of the woods is Pizzeria Hut located on Soi Sansabai in Patong. My first visit was about 5 years ago and I've gone back there on every Phuket visit ever since. I'll look forward to seeing how they fare in the Phuket Pizza Tuesday charts.

post-61198-1258646198_thumb.jpg

:)

As I don't live in Phuket many of the places mentioned are alien to me, but the one place I always go for pizza when I'm in that neck of the woods is Pizzeria Hut located on Soi Sansabai in Patong. My first visit was about 5 years ago and I've gone back there on every Phuket visit ever since. I'll look forward to seeing how they fare in the Phuket Pizza Tuesday charts.

post-61198-1258646198_thumb.jpg

That makes me feel hungry Might pop down and get 1

Many years ago when I lived & played in Patong Pizzeria Hut was the place for me where I would go & create my own pizza. The last time I saw the owner around town he said he had opened up a seafood place in Kalim although I believe he still owns Pizzeria Hut(s).

I agree with markg about Patak Villa, pizzas are OK but the thin & crispy base is not really to my liking so I am happy to go the extra distance to M & Ms.

I ate there some years ago and received something like an 8 inch circular object with tomato and cheese on it which they told me was a 'pizza'

Yes it's cheap. But for good food, and i mean GOOD food, i am willing to pay a little extra.

As a benchmark, M&M's is 230 baht for a large and delicious pizza.

Salvatore's is about 280 - again, large, delicious and fresh.

2 or 300 baht isnt really 'expensive' so how cheap does a pizza have to be to make me eat it? I will give P Pizza the benefit of the doubt and try it again to see if it has improved, but if it hasnt, then it had better be almost free of charge - because excellence can be had for 230 baht.

Maybe I am a bit lowbrow :) For me if the pizza alone weighs in at over 200 baht, then by the time I factor in beer, my wife's Thai food and all the rest, then places like that are out of my price range -- unless it is a special occasion.

I would suggest you try the spaghetti, garlic bread and weightwatcher salad on your return trip, if you make one.

Maybe I am a bit lowbrow :) For me if the pizza alone weighs in at over 200 baht, then by the time I factor in beer, my wife's Thai food and all the rest, then places like that are out of my price range -- unless it is a special occasion.

I would suggest you try the spaghetti, garlic bread and weightwatcher salad on your return trip, if you make one.

Not low brow at all sir. There is sometimes no relationship between the price of food and the quality. HOWEVER what i'm saying is that the current BEST pizzas in Phuket weigh in at 230baht ish.

Ive just gone through some of the notes from Phuket Pizza Tuesday. There were very few places with pizza at less than 200b. Some have entry level pizzas at less than 200b but then charge more for adding an acceptable amount of toppings.

A perfectly acceptable Pizza was had at 'the cook' in Phuket town for 180 baht but there is only a choice of 5.

It's perfectly acceptable. Nothing wrong with it at all.

BUT the aim of the group is to find the best. The best of the best. And the difference between 180 baht and 230baht is.................50 baht. Yet it is the difference between acceptable, and fantastic.

I'm not rich, but i'm just not that hard up for 50baht when it comes to fantastic food.

If 200b is your limit then that is a shame for you. In our experience, there are very few places selling pizza (including all the toppings) for less than 200b, and furthermore, it will be of only average quality.

It's kinda like the difference between 100pipers and say a single malt.

Both are whisky.

There is a fantastic place in the Central Festival Phuket shopping mall. It is called 'The Pizza Company'. They are doing some really creative things with the pizza format there. For example, you can get a tom yam gung pizza or one with little weiner sausages and pineapple on top. They also do awesome crusts stuffed with cheese and weiners. It's probably a bit more pricey than the average place but I think it's worth the extra money. Most of the other places in Phuket do 'Euro' style pizza, which totally sucks.

There is a fantastic place in the Central Festival Phuket shopping mall. It is called 'The Pizza Company'. They are doing some really creative things with the pizza format there. For example, you can get a tom yam gung pizza or one with little weiner sausages and pineapple on top. They also do awesome crusts stuffed with cheese and weiners. It's probably a bit more pricey than the average place but I think it's worth the extra money. Most of the other places in Phuket do 'Euro' style pizza, which totally sucks.

You know the written words a funny thing.. Not sure if my sarcasm filter is running or not.

There is a fantastic place in the Central Festival Phuket shopping mall. It is called 'The Pizza Company'.

Oddly enough, members of Phuket Pizza Tuesday HAVE eaten a 'pizza' from The Pizza Company.

It was like eating a pillow smeared with tomato ketchup and melted cheese slices.

If it was free and i was hungry, i would eat it, but otherwise, i think not.