Skype.com

baht&sold

Anyone use skype.com or something similar? Been using it awhile from thailand via adsl and it seems to work almost flawlessly 'calling' pc to pc anywhere overseas. Dead easy to use and clearer than a land line from LOS. Any downside? (data miners, embedded nonsense etc, etc). Also, anything better on the net to cut down on expensive land line calls back home?

Future phone #s will not be numbers at all -

Tel #: bahtandsold

Country code: Not applicable

Area Code: Not applicable

also, what will happen to traditional old school phone co's revenues (Shin corp et al) and where are the hidden costs for such 'free' telephony services- who pays and how? Your thoughts? Thx! :o

Edited by bahtandsold

Anyone use skype.com or something similar?  Been using it awhile from thailand via adsl and it seems to work almost flawlessly 'calling' pc to pc anywhere overseas. Dead easy to use and clearer than a land line from LOS. Any downside? (data miners, embedded nonsense etc, etc). Also, anything better on the net to cut down on expensive land line calls back home? 

Future phone #s will not be numbers at all -

Tel #: bahtandsold

Country code: Not applicable

Area Code: Not applicable

also, what will happen to traditional old school phone co's revenues (Shin corp et al) and where are the hidden costs for such 'free' telephony services- who pays and how? Your thoughts? Thx!  :D

I've never found any form of data miner, or other spyware associated with Skype... (I use Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Microsoft's new spyware tool... to find and eliminate spyware...)

I use it almost everyday to talk to my wife in Isaan (near the city of Udonthani). I have high speed DSL in Southern California and she has "High Speed" ( :o ) CSLox internet... regular 56 K modem speeds... (No DSL outside of Udon)

Upside... very clear, easy to use and FREE to talk to her...

Downside... sometimes when the connection is very clear, it will just disconnect for no apparent reason... Sometimes we need to call one another a few times to establish a clear connection... but I think this is because of the nature of the phone lines/internet in that part of the country... If we both had DSL, I believe the problems would be negligible....

But in spite of the "downside" I can talk to her for hours for free... I definitely recommend Skype... Also I can use Skype to call her home phone as well as her cell phone from California... you can buy time at the Skype home page to call ANYWHERE. And it is inexpensive when you do call a "real" phone. When I was last in Thailand, I built her a new computer and gave her a laptop also, and installed Skype (among many other programs) on both computers... I think she may be the only woman with a laptop in her village...

And I brought a good usb headset to her from Ca. so we can talk and hear each other comfortably and clearly... when I am not in Thailand...

On a side note... The price of most things in that part of Thailand are of course significantly less than the States, but I have found that computers and computer parts, (and of course high ticket items like cars) are cheaper in the USA... quite a bit cheaper, actually...If you use a good internet seller like mwave.com or newegg.com while in the States...

com2com skype audio varies a lot I have found. Several times I have had to log out and in again to get the sound working properly, especially with a 3-way conference call. But it's pretty good. The chat function is wierd. If someone goes offline they sometimes start getting the messages a day later.

If it is chat between 2 people then I find that Eyeball chat is more reliable, and has the web cam video of course. Right click on the video box and reduce the quality settings to minimum and that will reduce the bandwidth the cam uses and so increase quality of video. Skype will do conference call though, where Eyeball chat does not (more than 2 people in an audio conversation).

I have also found that skype is excellent for sending large files. I send and receive movies to Japan through it. Eyeball chat is faster but has a problem resuming when someone has to redial. Skype happily resumes.

Eyeball chat is free too by the way. I keep just one friend on Eyeball so that we can chat without me appearing present to the people on my skype or msn list. Eyeball has a neat function of integrating msn contacts if you want.

I'm using the True cafe package, and Skype computer-to-computer calls have been crystal clear with no delay, better than landlines, especially for international calls. Chat was OK, but file transfers were usually very slow.

However, when I tried it with the True home package (2 different sites) there was trouble connecting with the other party and some dropouts.

Skype is free and adware free since it's marketing its own pay service, Skypeout, which allows calls from your PC to normal phones at a minimal rate.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm using the True cafe package, and Skype computer-to-computer calls have been crystal clear with no delay, better than landlines, especially for international calls.  Chat was OK, but file transfers were usually very slow.

However, when I tried it with the True home package (2 different sites) there was trouble connecting with the other party and some dropouts.

Skype is free and adware free since it's marketing its own pay service, Skypeout, which allows calls from your PC to normal phones at a minimal rate.

If I use Skypeout to call a Thailand phone, what's number is shown up on the receiving mobile? Unknown number? I have a hidden agenda :o

Cheers,

Eric

I would buy shares in skype if they were available.

a couple of months ago there were reports that google was buying up dark fibre ( unused/unpowered fibre routes ) and I tend to believe they will go into the voice/video comms game with it, and attach it to your gmail identity. Whether they will buy skype or use a sip/h323 compatible client , I am not sure - but when you are able to route the packet of data with the priority you want , you have the ability to do the same as the major telecos do when a person is making an international call.

I use skype and skypeout and am happy with them.