Hotmail Dead? Or Is It Just Me?

RDN

I haven't been able to pick my hotmail email for over a day. All I get are these error messages (from Outlook Express):

Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'xxxxxxxxx', Server:

'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server

Response: '', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 12002, Error Number:

0x800CCC19

Header download for the 'Inbox' folder did not complete. Account: 'xxxxxxxxxx',

Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail,

Server Response: '', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 12002, Error Number:

0x800CCC19

I tried running Internet Explorer and can't even get to www.hotmail.com :o

GMail is fine. Obviously, Thaivisa is fine. Something happened to Billy Gates?

I haven't been able to pick my hotmail email  for over a day.

Something happened to Billy Gates?

Hardly think it is fair to blame Mr. Gates for your computer porblems. Hotmail is working just fine and expect the problem is yours, not his and expect his only contribution to your problem is to provide free Hotmail Service for you.

Try another computer.

I haven't been able to pick my hotmail email  for over a day.

Something happened to Billy Gates?

Hardly think it is fair to blame Mr. Gates for your computer porblems. Hotmail is working just fine and expect the problem is yours, not his and expect his only contribution to your problem is to provide free Hotmail Service for you.

Try another computer.

Just RDN's luck to get a response from Mr Gates' PR flunky. The error messages clearly indicate the problem is with the target server, not RDN's computer.

cv

RDN - IE, Hotmail, Outlook and Outlook Express work for me.

Periodically, Hotmail take one or more of their servers offline for service, but when they do, your usually notified when you attempt to enter.

The fact your unable to get to the main Hotmail site, makes me suspect a block. Double check your browser security & privacy settings, then run one of your "anti" software. You may have a browser hijacker at work.

Let us know what you find.

good luck :o

For the past few days I have had problems with hotmail.

I can always connect but the page is jumbled, misaligned and in different colours.

:o

Not sure if this is the problem, but I sometimes have problems with hotmail also, especially on public access computers. I was told by a techie type that it was due to other character sets being installed on the computer. (Here it is Greek characters for the Greek alphabet). I found out how to set it for what I want. Here's what to do.

At the top of your browser click on the View menu.

Go down until you get to Encoding.

Go to the Western European (Windows) and click on that choice.

It should take a few seconds to switch and will look/act correctly after that. You may need to do this for each email. On occasions you may have to RESET with the reset icon if the encoding "times out".

If at the bottom of the page( when reading email) it says "Done, but with errors on page" this is probably what is happening.

Ifyou click on the delete, but the email won't delete you probably need to do this trick.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

^^ (......for those conspiratorial theorists amongst us:  :D )

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to install code at the Hotmail portal, just to make usage difficult for Firefox, Opera and other non-IE users.

Food for thought.  :o

I can remember the days when NS 2.0 would always have a major crash when trying to access a MS site. Was wondering if NS was trying to stop me, or MS was trying to make them look bad. :D

cv

OK, thanks for all your replies (except "Wash" - don't know what flew up his nose :o ).

Anyway, today I powered up and all worked as normal. So it is a total mystery to me. The fact that not only Outlook Express reported errors and was unable to get my mail AND neither Firefox NOR Internet Explorer could get to msn.com OR hotmail.com made me think it was a problem that everybody (at least in Phuket and on Pacific Internet) should have had.

^^ (......for those conspiratorial theorists amongst us:  :D )

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to install code at the Hotmail portal, just to make usage difficult for Firefox, Opera and other non-IE users.

Food for thought.  :o

I thought of that, too. I have the "User Agent Swiitcher" extension which allows Firefox to pretend that it is IE - but I still couldn't get to msn or hotmail. Then I tried IE. Then I posted the topic here. Very strange.

Try downloading explore 6.0 more adaptable for yahoo and hotnail.

It's OK now - the problem went away the next day (see earlier posts). And I do have IE 6.0 and did try it, but could not get to msn or hotmail. All other sites I regularly use - google, gmail, this forum, many search engines - all worked normally, so I am surprised no one else had problems with hotmail on Saturday.