Veerachai Court Hotel

Spaniel

It really depends on your friends.

Veerachai seems to cater mainly to single middle aged or older farangs who book into the veerachai for part of the year I wouldn't describe it as a tourist hotel they don't organise tours here or anything like that. They have a small mini mart at the front of the hotel which is useful, some of the residents like to sit out front and drink. Don't get me wrong or anything I stayed here myself a dozen or so years back but I'd suggest a more tourist orientated hotel for a first trip to Chiang Mai.

It's alright but no pool and the old dear there is a bit of a miser. Make sure you get in the new section overlooking the car park, or at least above the second floor when facing the other way or you'll be lookin at a wall :)

There was a pool in veerachai in the older block across the road up on the second or third floor . although last time i looked ( a number of years ago ) it was full of plastic bags . I trust this was of no use to you what so ever . :)

Edited by malcy

That is a condo with a swimming pool that has nothing to do with Veerachai Court.

Veerachai Court is a clean, reasonably priced place to stay with a lot of single, middle-aged men.

It is interesting that it described as a "dive' mostly because those men have access to females where they would be lonely and desperate in their own countries as they are not wealthy enough to afford a wife.

The Puritanical sickness is still with us.

Edited by Ulysses G.

It's not the type of place for a family coming to visit C.M. to stay at in my opinion. There are a lot of very old guys staying there that come back to their rooms at 1:00, drunk and loud with young bar girls in tow. I thought it was a seedy dive.

I have to strongly disagree with you.

Some friends of mine stayed there

with their kids and loved it. Like I

said, it's clean and reasonably priced.

I have stayed in some of the so called

more "better" hotels and had the same

problems with drunk and loud farangs.

I've probably been guilty of it myself :-)

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

It is interesting that it described as a "dive' mostly because those men have access to females

And Chang. :) Females are only natural. It's the 24/7 Chang drinking that affects the general atmosphere.

Like I said in an earlier post it depends on the OP's friends. I'm a live and let live sort of person and if people want to drink cheap beer and boff bar girls that's up to them but I can think of 101 other places in Chiang Mai that would be more representative of the town and provide more comfort.

Nothing against Veerachai or it's owners but I think the OP's friends could do better, then again they might want to spend the day drinking chang outside the mini mart with an alcoholic ex carpet salesman from Birmingham :D

It is interesting that it described as a "dive' mostly because those men have access to females where they would be lonely and desperate in their own countries as they are not wealthy enough to afford a wife.

:)

Not wealthy enough to afford a wife but wealthy enough to afford hookers and large beers on a daily basis?

That is a condo with a swimming pool that has nothing to do with Veerachai Court.

Veerachai Court is a clean, reasonably priced place to stay with a lot of single, middle-aged men.

OK, so what you are saying is it is a cheap sexpat hovel that doesn't charge for companions. Expect that it would be quite popular then.

OK, so what you are saying is it is a cheap sexpat hovel that doesn't charge for companions. Expect that it would be quite popular then.

steady on old chap :)

:D

hi ,we can personally recomend the chang mai gate hote ,stayed there twice .lovely but basic rooms .really clean .good food .great staff .especially helpful tour organiser in recepion.its walking distance to centre of city down one straight road ...and whats more when you usethe pelican crossing at the junction ..THE TRAFFIC STOPS AND LETS YOU CROSS WHEN THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN !!!!!!!wewent back twice just to try !!!!!! :) nicepooland overall quiet and relaxing but within 5 mins you are in city center

also recomend CH HOTEL .it is on other side of town but exit by the back and you are IN THE NIGHT MAKET BY THE FOOD STALLS .fantastic to eat on way out into town and then shp and eat on way home !!!!!! :D same great standard as previus hotel .when stayng here my hubby ended up in hospital and the staff could not do enough for us ,even getting the father of the recetoinist to run me to the hospital

both werebooked thruogh LATESTAYS on internet a a reducedrate both under 650 bht

:D

hi ,we can personally recomend the chang mai gate hote ,stayed there twice .lovely but basic rooms .really clean .good food .great staff .especially helpful tour organiser in recepion.its walking distance to centre of city down one straight road ...and whats more when you usethe pelican crossing at the junction ..THE TRAFFIC STOPS AND LETS YOU CROSS WHEN THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN !!!!!!!wewent back twice just to try !!!!!! :) nicepooland overall quiet and relaxing but within 5 mins you are in city center

also recomend CH HOTEL .it is on other side of town but exit by the back and you are IN THE NIGHT MAKET BY THE FOOD STALLS .fantastic to eat on way out into town and then shp and eat on way home !!!!!! :D same great standard as previus hotel .when stayng here my hubby ended up in hospital and the staff could not do enough for us ,even getting the father of the recetoinist to run me to the hospital

both werebooked thruogh LATESTAYS on internet a a reducedrate both under 650 bht

We will be staying at the CM Gate in mid December. You got a very good price @ 650 bhat. Was that off season and how long ago? We booked a standard room via .thaihotelslinks.com for 900 B per nite. I checked latestays and they also wanted 900 B but had a 125 booking fee added.

Im pretty sure i used the veerachai staircase to get to it ug however it may well have belonged to the condo . not worth a visit anyway ( the pool imean not veerachai )

• 1 month later...

I stayed there for 6 months last year, it is not the best place I have ever stayed in nor is it the worst, after 6 weeks I really wanted to get out of there (I had one of the rooms over looking the car park 3 rd floor). I did not experience any drunken behaviour although the guy in the room above me liked to move his furniture around at 3 am, but to be fair I had a word with him and it stopped.

To be honest I didn't look for alternative accommodation too hard, (as I only spent half the week there) the few that I did bother looking at were on 'par' with Veerachai.

I returned late last year before I left I asked to reserve a top floor room and offered to pay a deposit, my offer was refused and I was told that I would be given a top (5th) floor room. I confirmed by e mail and was assured everything was in place and that I would be happy!

As I was shown into my 2nd floor rear facing room with a wall a few feet from the small balcony, I reminded the manager of previous promises and e mails, "OK wait a few days and I change" "No way change first thing tomorrow or I am out of here" did the trick but they tried to charge me 200 baht for the room change which by the way was back on the 3 rd floor over looking the car park.

Like all Thai's they are happy to take money but when you attempt to retrieve any it is a different story, I pay for internet connection in my room 800 baht a month it wasn't working for most of the day I was forced to use the internet cafe around the corner, I presented them with the 30 baht receipt (it is not the money it really is the principal), not a chance of getting a refund, every lying excuse/reason why you can't have it comes out.

I have now found alternative accommodation which works out the same 8,000 + electric + water per month with a gym and small pool. And a room with an unobstructed view of the mountain/big hill.

In short I personally would not return for anything over a few days stay, the sour face pig ignorant miserable biddy on reception will not be missed.

In short I personally would not return for anything over a few days stay, the sour face pig ignorant miserable biddy on reception will not be missed.

I lived there for many years and if you are talking about the manager, she's actually quite OK after you get to know her. :)

Thanks all for the info. I'll pass it along to my friends although I think they will be looking more for something like the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel.

Believe me when I say that their web site pics of the rooms bears no resemblance to the actual rooms, and the line claiming rooms having a view of the city is a down right lie!

I lived there for many years and if you are talking about the manager, she's actually quite OK after you get to know her. :)

Funny thing is that if you go to her with anything other than to pay money she claims not to be the manager! Have you ever seen her smile? or acknowledge a good morning or a sawadee krap? Maybe its just me? Or maybe it is that you are a reliable regular source of income? :D

I have a lot of freinds that live there now and have lived there in the past and they all have come to like her. I will admit that it takes a while until you feel that way - we used to call her the dragon lady - but I have not stayed there for 10 years and she still smiles and is very pleasant when I run into her (as I did about 2 days ago).

She has helped me lots of times with different things over the years - even when I did not live there - and would never accept a tip. She just has one of those faces that make her seem unhappy or unpleasant if you don't know her, but you don't notice anymore after you realize she is actually pretty nice.

I have a lot of freinds that live there now and have lived there in the past and they all have come to like her. I will admit that it takes a while until you feel that way - we used to call her the dragon lady - but I have not stayed there for 10 years and she still smiles and is very pleasant when I run into her (as I did about 2 days ago).

She has helped me lots of times with different things over the years - even when I did not live there - and would never accept a tip. She just has one of those faces that make her seem unhappy or unpleasant if you don't know her, but you don't notice anymore after you realize she is actually pretty nice.

I actually have a a photo or two of her smiling. she was always helpful to me. It was really cheap to stay there years back, I think 3000 baht per month plus a charge for either water or electric, or something, wasn't much. My girl friend (now wife) used to wait downstairs for me and talked with her often till I ambled downstairs. My gf would go home at night to her family and it's close to the night bazaar where I'd get drunk with my friend Johnny from Norway and his Thai wife most every night, since it gave me something to do. Not that I need much of an excuse to drink. :)

For some reason I always had a top floor room so view was good

There was a couple of small restaurants close by. One run by a lady named Noi, they were cheap and the folks were friendly. If you were there 10 years ago I probably passed you once or twice. I wouldn't have said much as I made no friends among those who lived there. There was a married couple from Atlanta who played a lot of golf whom I spoke with, but I didn't associate much with the residents.

• 1 year later...