Thai Public Health Ministry Sees New Flu Outbreak

george

Can we get vaccin in Thailand already? How to do? Thanks :D

Welcome to the media panic.....!

Hope we all have shares in the pharmaceutical companies....and enjoy the dividends. :D

Vaccination is only recommended for high risk individual, with chronic deseases though.

Just take a bit more care, not shake hands and wash your hands frequently.

Happy to live in los,no shake hands,just make a wai. :)

this strain is not more virulent, than the previous one, so no panic.

the best is to wait for the next wave and better vaccination. Those vaccines available now were not tested properly, to short and on to small population and in itself might pose more health problems, than getting sick (in some 70% cases there are no flu symptoms - but your body will build up resistence against future, more virulent flu).

you have to calculate risk - if you are working with sick and come accross of flu cases, you might consider a shot, for you own and their protection.

myself I got just some tamiflu, it's expired already, but I keep it in the freezer and will use it when symptoms are bad

And you would be spreading this information on what authority?

third of soldiers and pupils with symptoms, non serious, no hospitalisation and no serious cases - this strain is not more virulent, than the previous one, when some people did die in thailand.

in some countries, for example in the UK, parents do organise "flu parties" where kids get infected on purpose from the other kids, who are ill - to strenthen their immune system for the winter time, when the next outbrake is expected (as every single winter, when body defence is at the lowest).

I did write about calculating risk - decision is yours, I did choose tamiflu, at this stage, but will consider a shot at some if the situation worsens.

I am not an authority in any field whatsoever - I was thinking we are running, more or less, educated discussion, then "spreading information". If you are in need of info search the net.

"Flu parties?" That sounds sicko to me.

those parties were organised from the very beginning, even before swine flu was classified as a pandemic. Widely reported in all UK media - just google. It's still going on, on a smaller scale. There is a rationale behind it - because there was no vaccine (which is a very dilluted virus to create anti-bodies), kids were immuned the natural way.

as to seasonal shot - it's safer than the swine jab, so if anybody is considering a jab that rather should be their choice. It won't protect from the swine flu, but prevent body from weakening due to other flu viruses, so stronger to fight swine flu viruses.

by all means, be ready for the virus to become very nasty. I am stacked with tamiflu, and if doctor offers it (free or cheap) than grab it and safe for a worse time.

this strain is not more virulent, than the previous one, so no panic.

the best is to wait for the next wave and better vaccination. Those vaccines available now were not tested properly, to short and on to small population and in itself might pose more health problems, than getting sick (in some 70% cases there are no flu symptoms - but your body will build up resistence against future, more virulent flu).

you have to calculate risk - if you are working with sick and come accross of flu cases, you might consider a shot, for you own and their protection.

myself I got just some tamiflu, it's expired already, but I keep it in the freezer and will use it when symptoms are bad

There have been no health risks predicted on this vaccine nor are any significant data expected. It is thought that since the vaccine is structurally the same as the seasonal flu vaccine that there is an educated assumption that it will be no more dangerous. That is from the experts with medical degrees and access to data. You are not saving anyone...The main health risk is GBS (look it up) and GBS carries a higher incidence in ANY post viral/retroviral infection recovery period(PRIMARY HIV, ENTEROVIRUS, DENGUE,ADENOVIRUS,INFLUENZA ETC) than it does post viral vaccine even when the vaccine has been known to cause complications. You would have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice in the same place than having complications from this vaccine, and that is with NO testing at all, based on concrete data obtained over many years administering the seasonal flu vaccines to millions of people in the US which is basically the same vaccine. Understand that there is a risk of complications with ALL vaccines , because the human's immune system is being manipulated. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE RISK IS SIGNIFICANT! One TRUTH is that if no one was scared to take the vaccine we would really be in trouble because only about 1/4 of the population of the world would ever be able to be vaccinated in time, given production capabilities and logistical limitations, even if it was necessary for survival! It would be mass hysteria. The idea is to get the vaccine to just enough people so as to suppress the virus replication in humans thereby limiting transmission and making mutation impossible. So keep on spreading misinformation, you may be helping after all!

Edited by bowbells

Be sure and get out in the sunshine every day for at least 20 minutes or so. The vitamin D you will absorb from this may be your best protection against the flu.

youtube.com/watch?v=--NqqB2nhBE

But also be mindful that sunlight coming through a window can actually decrease your vitamin D levels and showering with soap can prevent the vitamin D from making it into your bloodstream.

youtube.com/watch?v=J1sTYuL-QsU&feature=related

Take control of your health. Don't depend on doctors and drugs because they are likely to do more harm than good. Just say NO to ALL vaccines.

youtube.com/watch?v=15ycdbSsnAU&feature=related

Some time back the gov't was saying that they were going to produce their own vaccine, as I recall. Or was it a nasal spray? I vaguely remember them having production problems because of the eggs.

Does anyone know what has happened to the gov'ts plan to produce it's own vaccine?

those parties were organised from the very beginning, even before swine flu was classified as a pandemic. Widely reported in all UK media - just google. It's still going on, on a smaller scale. There is a rationale behind it - because there was no vaccine (which is a very dilluted virus to create anti-bodies), kids were immuned the natural way.

as to seasonal shot - it's safer than the swine jab, so if anybody is considering a jab that rather should be their choice. It won't protect from the swine flu, but prevent body from weakening due to other flu viruses, so stronger to fight swine flu viruses.

by all means, be ready for the virus to become very nasty. I am stacked with tamiflu, and if doctor offers it (free or cheap) than grab it and safe for a worse time.

This is the same rationale for parents making sure their kids get chickenpox (sometimes very pro-actively) so that they don't have to get it when it is more dangerous later when they are adults.

I caught the first wave of the so called "swine flu" recovered in less than a week.

Fact still remains that the normal flu kills hundreds of thousands more each year... where is the ThaiVisa breaking news about this?

Aids killed 2 million last year, yet... still no media coverage....

This thread is about the flu; The swine flu in particular. For a variety of reasons it is in the news and is important to a lot of people. It is particularly important to those with risk factors and I can assure you that includes people with AIDS and those who are HIV positive.

There are a lot of diseases which should probably get more press, including tuberculosis. We have apparently learned to live with them and other than the occasional flurry of activity, we don't pay too much attention.

THE FLU - BIRD FLU - SWINE FLU

Good names for a horror movie and two follow ups, more to come??

The flu has been around for 1000's of years, slowly evolving with everything else on the planet. It killed 10x more people in 2007 than the dreaded SWINE FLU has so far this year.

Why should we really be affraid.

TAMIFLU is pattented by one company, one of the companies top share holders is the ex USA minister of defence... cachinnnnnn $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It was also the drug used for animals, now being used on humans at $70 a course.

Cachiiiiiinnnnnn $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Thankyou!

My dogs have the flu! Should I be worried??

DOG FLU (mans best friend, keeps the dogs away). :)

I will not be getting any vaccine.

In Scandinavia there have now been several deaths reported over the last month, ALL of the dead had taken the vaccine. So either the vaccine is not effective or it's actually killing people off.

I caught the first wave of the so called "swine flu" recovered in less than a week.

Fact still remains that the normal flu kills hundreds of thousands more each year... where is the ThaiVisa breaking news about this?

Aids killed 2 million last year, yet... still no media coverage....

How do you know for sure you have the swine flu and not some other type?

I have been very sick now, for almost one entire week.........bad cough, almost no sleep, congestion (chest, nose and throat).......had chills but that has gone away.

My wife is also sick and had to stay in the hospital.

The doctor gave me amoxillan, but it did nothing.....think I have used it too much in the past.

I decided to take action and went to a pharmacy and got Ziflox (Ciprofloxacin hydrochloride).

It seems to be working.....but still sick.......not fun at all.

JR, I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I am a bit experienced in these things...

The two medicines you mention below are both antibiotics, which would only be effective in combatting a bacterial infection. Having a bacterial infection would often mean you have some kind of green or yellowish mucus congestion.

The various flu varieties and other things are viral infections. Antibiotics will do nothing for those.

Your symptoms described below sound more like a flu-type malady. If that's the case, antibiotics are not the right medication. It would be no surprise, then, that taking them had no benefit.

I have been very sick now, for almost one entire week.........bad cough, almost no sleep, congestion (chest, nose and throat).......had chills but that has gone away.

The doctor gave me amoxillan, but it did nothing.....think I have used it too much in the past.

I decided to take action and went to a pharmacy and got Ziflox (Ciprofloxacin hydrochloride).

JR, I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I am a bit experienced in these things...

The two medicines you mention below are both antibiotics, which would only be effective in combatting a bacterial infection. Having a bacterial infection would often mean you have some kind of green or yellowish mucus congestion.

The various flu varieties and other things are viral infections. Antibiotics will do nothing for those.

Your symptoms described below sound more like a flu-type malady. If that's the case, antibiotics are not the right medication. It would be no surprise, then, that taking them had no benefit.

You are right, of course. The problem, I think, is a viral infection plus a bacteria infection.

I think the viral infection came first. I also think there is no treatment for it except wait and hope my defense system responds to it (maybe I am wrong).

The bacteria infection came after.......with the coughing up nasty stuff.

This actually happens to me a lot........a common cold will often lead to a bacteria infection.

It has now been six days that I have been ill.

Today I feel weak but a bit better w/ some nose congestion and dry cough.

For viral things, I think it's mostly supportive care... rest, fluids, decongestants as needed, Tylenol or similar.

From what I've read here, hospitals in recent times stopped actually testing specifically for H1N1, and just presumed it was the flu based on symptoms. But then lately I saw something from the government indicating they were going to start testing again....

So what the hospitals are actually doing on that score, I don't know...and fortunately haven't had to find out. Oftentimes, it seems, what the government here says doesn't match with what is actually happening out in the field (with medical providers).

Hope you're feeling better. Sounds like you are...

By the time you're feeling better, MAYBE, the government will have the H1N1 vaccine available in Thailand to the public... MAYBE... :)

For viral things, I think it's mostly supportive care... rest, fluids, decongestants as needed, Tylenol or similar.

From what I've read here, hospitals in recent times stopped actually testing specifically for H1N1, and just presumed it was the flu based on symptoms. But then lately I saw something from the government indicating they were going to start testing again....

So what the hospitals are actually doing on that score, I don't know...and fortunately haven't had to find out. Oftentimes, it seems, what the government here says doesn't match with what is actually happening out in the field (with medical providers).

Hope you're feeling better. Sounds like you are...

By the time you're feeling better, MAYBE, the government will have the H1N1 vaccine available in Thailand to the public... MAYBE... :)

Thanks..........I think I will just have to wait it out. It seems to have left my nose and now is trying to find one last refuge.

These viruses are a bit scary......as soon as a vaccine is developed for one strain they mutate.

Sometimes I think it is nothing short of a miracle that so many of us are above ground.