Why Were All The Real Estate Offices Closed Today?

ruds

The copyright police were in town and checking businesses who are using counterfeit copies of Windows and other Microsoft products as part of a nationwide campaign. Why they chose to target only Real Estate Agents is obvious to me but I will leave it up to your imagination. :)

nice to see that they got tipped off lol

I suspect it was the Pattaya Grapevine. The first "shop" hit - someone rushes out the back and phones someone and the word soon spreads. Just like when the bars hear of multiple raids.

But it is all "Chicken and Egg". Make it easier to buy LEGAL (Mainstream) software and most would buy it. But I bet the "At the front door" fine is in far excess of the statuary (Court) fine, so "They" dont want it easy.

(This was the cae with the music "Police" who wanted 50K and the bar door or immediately go to jail, whereas the legal fine was about a tenth of that)

I have to buy software for my hobbies in the UK and get it brought over, or buy downloads, as I CANNOT buy the legal software I want (OK, may be unwanted by others so low turnover). One software publisher will not send it to Thailand, in case I want to copy it to sell.

nice to see that they got tipped off lol

I suspect it was the Pattaya Grapevine. The first "shop" hit - someone rushes out the back and phones someone and the word soon spreads. Just like when the bars hear of multiple raids.

But it is all "Chicken and Egg". Make it easier to buy LEGAL (Mainstream) software and most would buy it. But I bet the "At the front door" fine is in far excess of the statuary (Court) fine, so "They" dont want it easy.

(This was the cae with the music "Police" who wanted 50K and the bar door or immediately go to jail, whereas the legal fine was about a tenth of that)

I have to buy software for my hobbies in the UK and get it brought over, or buy downloads, as I CANNOT buy the legal software I want (OK, may be unwanted by others so low turnover). One software publisher will not send it to Thailand, in case I want to copy it to sell.

When i bought my computer it had counterfeit Windows installed,i had to buy the genuine one.Not because i wanted to stay on the right side of the law it was because the counterfit one had some flaws and was causing some problems for my comp.

The copyright police were in town and checking businesses who are using counterfeit copies of Windows and other Microsoft products as part of a nationwide campaign. Why they chose to target only Real Estate Agents is obvious to me but I will leave it up to your imagination. :)

Thanks for the reply, Howard. The current crackdown on pirated software has been widely publicised in the newspapers. I'm glad the agents concerned were able to shut up shop in time.

Personally I agree that Pirate Copies should be controlled but how can you control anything when the people responsible for inspecting are more corrupt than the pirates copying the CD’s.

Are you telling me that high up people don’t have interests in Tuk Com? It’s been the main source of counterfeit goods for a long time and will continue to be for a long time.

But then again, I suppose the people behind the supply probable have something to do with the inspectors somewhere along the line.

Yet another way to extort money from people, whatever next. I feel sorry for anyone with a business in Thailand, I don’t know how they can operate with the constant threat of been racketed by the music and software “Cosa Nostra”. Not to mention the usual local friendly civil servants looking for their tea money.

A bit off topic but wouldn’t it be nice to see the authorities supporting local businesses instead of the blatant money making schemes that seem to always be going on, especially in these hard times.

Most are Farang owned (controlled)?

Most are Farang owned (controlled)?

That's part of the answer, the other part I would not publish here in case the software guys are monitoring this forum - I don't want to give them ideas if my theory is not entirely correct :D

I really wonder why so much businesses are using counterfeit M$ products.

Today, businesses' basic needs are easily covered by Linux + Openoffice.

All free.

What does a real estate agent need in addition of an excel clone, word clone, a browser, a picture edition software (GIMP), an email client, a database (MySQL) and a webserver?

Open Source does seem the logical way to go until you realise that a part from the basic software packages, open office and a few other applications all others software if it will run on Linux is not just load and run, you need to be a real IT guru to get your head round it.