Minimum Drinking Age

Spoonman

Got a mate coming out with his 18yr old sister, he asked if she will be legally able to drink or not.

I was not aware there was legal age and google is giving me mixed answers.

Not that i think she will have any issues but iam intrigued as to the actual legal age, anyone know ??

Patong Bob is wrong.

It's 20 to drink alcohol on licenced premises not 18. It's very loosely enforced except in Thai-style disco pubs. These often have a reputation for fights and don't get too many tourists. Some of these kind of disco pubs on Khao San check ID on the door.

I asked this question in the Phuket Gazette's Issues and Answers column about eight years ago. The reply from the Superintendent at the time, published in the Gazette was 18 to drink in a bar, 21 to work in a bar.

It may be different rules in different provinces, and things may change with different Governors, e.g. closing times.

However an 18 year old farang will have no problems getting a drink anywhere here.

The legal age to comsume alcohol, for any nationality in Thailand is 20 years pf age, although a blind eye is usually turned to foreigners for obvious reasons..TIT :)

No, it's not. The legal age to purchase alcohol in Thailand is 18. The legal age to enter and consume alcohol in a bar or club is 20. If you're 18 you can legally buy alcohol at 7-11 and drink it, but you can not legally go drink whiskey in someplace like RCA.

Some Thai clubs check ID very strictly and some don't check it at all. In Khao San Road the clubs generally check ID, the restaurants do not. RCA, Ratchada, Thonglor etc normally check, but you can sometimes talk your way out of it.

The legal age to comsume alcohol, for any nationality in Thailand is 20 years pf age, although a blind eye is usually turned to foreigners for obvious reasons..TIT :)

No, it's not. The legal age to purchase alcohol in Thailand is 18. The legal age to enter and consume alcohol in a bar or club is 20. If you're 18 you can legally buy alcohol at 7-11 and drink it, but you can not legally go drink whiskey in someplace like RCA.

Why don't you read my post? I said "consume" not purchase :D

The heading says Minimum drinking age , Funnily i started as soon as i was born :D , later i tried alcohol at 18 , :D

Blimey! You were a late starter, weren't you?

I must have been about twelve the first time I got drunk. :D

I beat you... Scout Camp in Belgian artisanal brewery: I was 9! :)

The heading says Minimum drinking age , Funnily i started as soon as i was born :D , later i tried alcohol at 18 , :D

Blimey! You were a late starter, weren't you?

I must have been about twelve the first time I got drunk. :D

I beat you... Scout Camp in Belgian artisanal brewery: I was 9! :)

I was given watered down wine and beer from the age of about 4 with Sunday dinner. Grew up thinking of alcohol as no big deal and drink about the same volume now, only not watered down. Very rarely have been drunk and never seen the point.

Why don't you read my post? I said "consume" not purchase :D

indeed you did, please explain, in practical terms, the difference.