Friend Detained In Nong Palai

zigistar

Hi,

I am living a long time in thailand and a long way from pattaya(did live there for many years but i geuss long timers do understand my move to other places) i just found out a friend of mine is arrested and is placed in that hel_l.I am planning to leave tomorow so i can go visit him on monday....now i saw on another thread that you need to have the same nationality to be able to visit him and thats not the case....is that still true?Is there a way to bribe the gard and still can see him?I know some odd questions but they very important for me i need to drive 8 hours+ one way just to get there and go there for nothing is kind of a waste i also have some connections in pattaya so i would try to get him out of it but then the first thing i should be able of is talk with him and hear his story...i cant contact my connections with just"my friend is in jail get him out for me"

Thanks for all people who take time to answer me

zigistar

Ok,i have a friend there who is not the same nationality as me and i visit him many times.Can i ask what did your friend do?does he have his own laywer/an experienced lawyer in criminal law?as i suspect your friend was arrested on a criminal charge.When he was brought to the court why didnt the judge grant him bail?didnt he have enough money to post it or did the judge refuse to grant bail.Can you fill me in a bit more,thanks.

Edited by Dpolenz

Also "having contacts" can only get you so far.The most important time when all of this could of been settled without him going to jail is already gone,he is in the system now.Maybe he should of contacted you straight away after the initial arrest.What contacts you have?Dont say neils Kolov or something stupid like that :)

Also "having contacts" can only get you so far.The most important time when all of this could of been settled without him going to jail is already gone,he is in the system now.Maybe he should of contacted you straight away after the initial arrest.What contacts you have?Dont say neils Kolov or something stupid like that :D

I am awareof what you say it gone be tough now he is in the system but nothing is impossible i did PM because some info is better to be kept between us if you would be so kind.....most important thing now is that i can talk with him he is diabetic and need medical,moral and prob some finacial help for the moment...i need to look after him thats what friends are for in life i geuss.How dumb he did is even not important.....after i talked to him and know the story better i can ask my contact(Kolovs) he could help me :)

Edited by zigistar

Hi. I am not 100% sure but I thought I read somewhere that you may need to get a letter from your Embassy.

Maybe someone else can shed some light to this !!

No,i have been there numerous times never needed a letter,you know thailand they never abide by there own laws lol

Nong Palai is a bad bad place.

Have visited a Swede there and I am English so never heard of a race/nationality bar or indeed the need for a letter. The guards did want some tea money of course but apart from that it was all straight forward.

One thing you may not think of. Visit a doctor and get some big time anti-biotics and skin ointments. TB/scabies/you name it is rife in there. He will need these items more than food or even money believe me.

I visit at the Bangkok "Hilton" Bang Kwang Central Prison every week and never need a letter. I present a xerox copy of my passport, fill in a form with the inmates name and building number and go through each week with no problem. I'm sorry, I don't know if it's as easy in Pattaya. I do know if your friend is British or American, you can get a letter from the embassy which may allow you more access (more visits).

Please PM me if I can give you more info.

All the best and I hope things work out for both you and him.

seeker

Have visited a Swede there and I am English so never heard of a race/nationality bar or indeed the need for a letter. The guards did want some tea money of course but apart from that it was all straight forward.

One thing you may not think of. Visit a doctor and get some big time anti-biotics and skin ointments. TB/scabies/you name it is rife in there. He will need these items more than food or even money believe me.

Yes it is bad - I knew someone who spent 1 Year inside there. I never visited but saw the person when they were released, jeez he looked like a different person, so so thin.

He died a Year later back in the UK, he was only 44.

Yes it is bad - I knew someone who spent 1 Year inside there. I never visited but saw the person when they were released, jeez he looked like a different person, so so thin.

He died a Year later back in the UK, he was only 44.

sounds a sad story..but died at 44...very young...???????????????

I have never heard anyone even a Thai claim that the prisons are getting better.

A very fit young man could perhaps survive 3 years anything more would be a death sentence and even then he would come out with severe health problems.

Any sentence over one year for anyone but the fittest is in effect a death sentence.

Rape and other forms of violence are rare its the diseases that carry people off. TB seems to be the current biggest problem but hepatitis A/B/C/D are ever present killers.

I have no intention of doing anything to get me a stay in any of these places but if I landed up in one I would use all my resources just to get out.

Bad bad places.

little update for the people who are inteersted......been monday brought a thai police(brother of my wife)and this was of alot of help to figure everything out on sunday...could talk to the police who arrested him and did the interogation etc.

On monday i was early in Nong Palai and was the very 1 st who visited him...his spirit is high he only suffer from the severe beating he got in Soi 9 not from police but from Thai inmates his face blue cant breath thru his nose but not able yet to see a doctor.....What a luck for him i been there monday 2 the same time i was talking to him a"lawyer" he meet in police station was coming to visit as well and was gone let him sign a bunch of papers....also the paper so he could get his possesions 60.000bath,bankbook etc. who is now stored in some place in the policstation...i saw imiditaely something was not right....when the whisle who anaunce the end of visit went,the lawyer didnt have the chance yet to talk to him so he asked for a 2nd visit in a smaller room(i pretended at that time i still was with him so he invited me with him).....God or Budha or whoever was with me the Fallang guy M. who is in chArge to guide the fallangs to visit asked me on the phone and asked me i could speak french(so laywer wouldent understand a word i said...lucky i do)so he explained me that this same laywer was his 2 years ago also meet him in police station(what a coincidence)he told me its a total thief who just try as much money of you and your family as he can and just do nothing for your case....so i convinced my friend not to sign any more papers of that guy ofcourse he didnt and he was fired on the spot(very angry at me ofcourse but my police handled that mather fast and good)I got him new laywer now a decent one who went to visit him alredy today....

The thief lawyer told the bail was between 700 and 800.000,i been personaly to the court and the bail is 500.000 and not 1 bath more....now because i am far away and timing is bad peole from europe come to visit me i cant do much for him except stay in touch with his family laywer and guide a good friend of me whi is willing to visit him and get him to sign the right papers so he can sell his shares he have then it take 3 working days before that money is on the bank and have him sign a paper that my friend can take that money out from the bank as well...so iff everything go a bit smooth he could be out on bail by monday or tuesday.....I hope so like others told alredy its hel_l and even few years can mean the same as a death sentence....he isnt that young anymore(no he didnt mollested a child)for the ones that see an older man and jail in the same context...

on another note and to end...his family contacted the embassy thursday and they promissed to take care of it go visit him and tell the family what to do.....geuss what...until today he even didnt hear somebody from the embassy lets not talk about see somebody....Really if you ever be in trouble in thailand(and people who live or stay here regulary know that this can happen easy...a simple motorbike accident can be enough if you have bad luck and lets say you hit a child and the child die.....thats just 1 example not gone give 100 others..anyway thats not the case here he really is guilty to an offence...but didnt harm somebody then himself.....ofcourse laws are there to folow i know but we all human and we all make mistakes.....

thanks for all the tips some where very helpfull

i will update again if i have some important information.

The embassy will make contact don't worry everything takes time,and as far as the pm you sent me i can answer by saying he should be given the stuff you sent,most likely has goten it today.Hope your friend makes bail and gets his ass out of the country with a fake passport.What he did in my eyes is not worthy of being locked up for a long time

little update for the people who are inteersted......been monday brought a thai police(brother of my wife)and this was of alot of help to figure everything out on sunday...could talk to the police who arrested him and did the interogation etc.

On monday i was early in Nong Palai and was the very 1 st who visited him...his spirit is high he only suffer from the severe beating he got in Soi 9 not from police but from Thai inmates his face blue cant breath thru his nose but not able yet to see a doctor.....What a luck for him i been there monday 2 the same time i was talking to him a"lawyer" he meet in police station was coming to visit as well and was gone let him sign a bunch of papers....also the paper so he could get his possesions 60.000bath,bankbook etc. who is now stored in some place in the policstation...i saw imiditaely something was not right....when the whisle who anaunce the end of visit went,the lawyer didnt have the chance yet to talk to him so he asked for a 2nd visit in a smaller room(i pretended at that time i still was with him so he invited me with him).....God or Budha or whoever was with me the Fallang guy M. who is in chArge to guide the fallangs to visit asked me on the phone and asked me i could speak french(so laywer wouldent understand a word i said...lucky i do)so he explained me that this same laywer was his 2 years ago also meet him in police station(what a coincidence)he told me its a total thief who just try as much money of you and your family as he can and just do nothing for your case....so i convinced my friend not to sign any more papers of that guy ofcourse he didnt and he was fired on the spot(very angry at me ofcourse but my police handled that mather fast and good)I got him new laywer now a decent one who went to visit him alredy today....

The thief lawyer told the bail was between 700 and 800.000,i been personaly to the court and the bail is 500.000 and not 1 bath more....now because i am far away and timing is bad peole from europe come to visit me i cant do much for him except stay in touch with his family laywer and guide a good friend of me whi is willing to visit him and get him to sign the right papers so he can sell his shares he have then it take 3 working days before that money is on the bank and have him sign a paper that my friend can take that money out from the bank as well...so iff everything go a bit smooth he could be out on bail by monday or tuesday.....I hope so like others told alredy its hel_l and even few years can mean the same as a death sentence....he isnt that young anymore(no he didnt mollested a child)for the ones that see an older man and jail in the same context...

on another note and to end...his family contacted the embassy thursday and they promissed to take care of it go visit him and tell the family what to do.....geuss what...until today he even didnt hear somebody from the embassy lets not talk about see somebody....Really if you ever be in trouble in thailand(and people who live or stay here regulary know that this can happen easy...a simple motorbike accident can be enough if you have bad luck and lets say you hit a child and the child die.....thats just 1 example not gone give 100 others..anyway thats not the case here he really is guilty to an offence...but didnt harm somebody then himself.....ofcourse laws are there to folow i know but we all human and we all make mistakes.....

thanks for all the tips some where very helpfull

i will update again if i have some important information.

Sorry to hear about your friend....but its a same old sorry here. Many people are in the same boat. It does not matter what he did, the fact is he's done it. If he knows he's guilty for the crime he did (and I dont know BTW), then he would have known the outcome. Its hard I know......same old cliche "if you do the crime, prepare to do the time" eventually you will be caught.

Anything that you have sent him I really hope he gets, as he will need it, especially hygine stuff, as other posters have said, terrible disease lingers in that place.