Temperatures In Thailand Dropped To 15 Degrees Celsius; 2 Dead

george

Cold spell kills two people while temperature will further drop

1258893660.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two persons died of apparent exposure to cold over the weekend as temperatures in Thailand dropped to as low as 15 degrees Celsius in the upper part of the country.

Pramuk Tipracha, 43, is the second cold-related death in the northeastern province of Kalasin. He presumably died of heart failure as he slept in a hut without a blanket to guard unmilled rice.

The other death was a watchman, age 80, in the eastern province of Chantaburi, hired to guard an orchard. His body was found in the orchard and local officials believe he had been dead for three days.

In the northeastern province of Roi Et, local residents gathered around a bonfire to keep warm as they lacked winter clothes.

The meteorological department said the temperature in the North, Northeast and the East will further drop by one to two degrees Celsius, influenced by

the intense high pressure system covering the upper part of the country.

Meanwhile, tourists flock to popular destinations on mountain tops in national parks in northern provinces to view a seeming sea of fog, sunrise and flowbloom flowers. Accommodations provided by national parks have been fully booked until January.

Temperatures on mountain tops stay around eight to 10 degrees Celsius.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-11-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad when people die for whatever reason but I must admit I'm surprised it's cold enough. Then again I'm wearing more than I did last month in Isaan. Just one blanket should help so perhaps I'm underestimating poverty in Thailand.

Well, it's clearly due to global warming, no doubt.

Seriously, we're undergoing global cooling at the moment and unless the sun revs back up again soon things could get worse.

This is a good watch, for those who haven't seen it yet:

The Great Global Warming Swindle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeY8oqAGhyA

I'm of the understanding that we're to receive a mini-ice age before global warming kinks in.... :)

Very sad to hear that people are dying from exposure in what I find to comfortable temperatures.

Not sure, but I think this thread is about the weather, not the climate.....

It was plenty cold in Chiang Rai today with the wind blowing hard most of the day,they are not as fortunate as us and with housing, clothing and body fat.

it's a very early drop of temperature, such temperatures do happen end of december/beginning of january.

not sure, if those 2 deaths are due to cold or the other reasons - looks, like cold wasn't a direct reason, but cold weather means weakened immunity and catching some illnesses, like flu.

as to temperatures and climate - weather becomes less predictable now, than it was in the past, with big differences in temperature and other weather conditions, one region beigh flooded, the other drying up etc.

as to temperatures and climate - weather becomes less predictable now, than it was in the past, with big differences in temperature and other weather conditions, one region beigh flooded, the other drying up etc.

Yes indeedy, there was a time {not too long ago} when we could set our calendars to distinguish seasonal changes.....of the last few years, one cannot tell when the 'hot & dry' ends and the 'wet' begins. As well as the last few winters have seen unusual chilling periods.

The cold season has just started and may last 2 months. Has the government or any other organization provided the public (especially in the north) with information regarding to exposure?

It doesn't take much to get hypothermia.

I fear more deaths to come, all that is needed to prevent them is just some proper information.

Well, it's clearly due to global warming, no doubt.

Seriously, we're undergoing global cooling at the moment and unless the sun revs back up again soon things could get worse.

This is a good watch, for those who haven't seen it yet:

The Great Global Warming Swindle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeY8oqAGhyA

I'm of the understanding that we're to receive a mini-ice age before global warming kinks in.... :)

I didn't realise global warming was a kink but now I'm interested.

All kidding aside about JR, but I am staying in my home up-country now and it has been cold for me. Our place is 90 kilometers west of Udorn and the North-West wind brings some chilly days and nights.

My wife is walking around wearing warm up pants, golf shirt, sweater, jacket and a hat with ear flaps...and that's INSIDE the house.

At least she is now cooking my breakfast so she can stand near the kitchen heat. :)

Very sad to hear that people are dying from exposure in what I find to comfortable temperatures.

Not sure, but I think this thread is about the weather, not the climate.....

It was plenty cold in Chiang Rai today with the wind blowing hard most of the day,they are not as fortunate as us and with housing, clothing and body fat.

Yes, so chilly, indeed, that yesterday was the first day for ages that I did not need to use the aircon whatsoever.

I can understand that a 80 year old dies. But the 43 one??

With some clothes and without wind, it is almost impossible to die at 15 degree unless you are complete drunk.

Yeah that's really weird. I guess some thin little Thai guy whose used to the equivalent of 38+ every day could get some sort of circulation problem... but it could have been all mental- he just panicked.

I actually find the Thais aversion to cold irritating- it's obviously just a comfort issue but they relish the idea of acting like their in mortal danger and need to snuggle up with blankets and tea. In the US I don't actually get cold until I actually start losing blood flow to the extremities (around 7 C)... but that's nothing compared to the Aborigines who apparently slept outside at 2 C or tibetans.

I have noticed that the ambient has dropped in the past few days, lots of wind and folks have kept off the back terrace of our house except for preparing food...I'm cool with it as I just switch off the AC but the others in the household are all bundled up...

I went down to the local tescos on a motorbike (as a passenger) and I could feel the the lowered temp, just wearing shirt, shorts and sandals; it's a relief to me from the heat but others are clearly uncomfortable...

however, I remember that it was at least this cold in years past at this time of year...we ain't got no hot water and you can remember when showering was uncomfortable; always around Nov/Dec.

sure, there is a global warming phenomenon but I wouldn't give the current weather cataclysmic significance...asians got less body fat and are more sensitive to the weather than us fat, drunken falangs...ain't likely that anyone of us will die inna ditch from hypothermia...

but, it's too bad that poor folks in affected areas don't have blankets and etc, to shelter from the weather; a tin shack on stilts over a rice paddy ain't gonna afford much protection from the cold...their kids must be suffering...

People could roll rice straw into bundles to secure around and on top of their tin shacks for no cost , they get enough when they harvest the rice , this keeps the weather out and the warmth in . In scandinavian countries with more severe winters , they build in around the 'Stilts and suround them with straw also , with the cattle inside a lot of heat is provided which permeates up to the living quarters . Use a little thought and inginuity , they have the time to do it and stop complaining .

People could roll rice straw into bundles to secure around and on top of their tin shacks for no cost , they get enough when they harvest the rice , this keeps the weather out and the warmth in . In scandinavian countries with more severe winters , they build in around the 'Stilts and suround them with straw also , with the cattle inside a lot of heat is provided which permeates up to the living quarters . Use a little thought and inginuity , they have the time to do it and stop complaining .

Unfortunately this means someone has to think beyond today and then do some work. That means it won't happen.

Very sad when people die for whatever reason but I must admit I'm surprised it's cold enough. Then again I'm wearing more than I did last month in Isaan. Just one blanket should help so perhaps I'm underestimating poverty in Thailand.

:)

Are you sleeping on the floor....with a blanket over you but nothing underneath you? In one of those "houses on stilts" like you find in Issan where there is no protection or anything to retain the heat below you? And with no source of heat inside? If you are, then 15 degrees is enough to make you feel very cold. Add poor nurishment due to only some cold rice to eat...and yes, you can die from the cold...all it takes is for your core body temperature to get down low enough, and you'll fall asleep and never wake up. Add being wet to the equation...and it's quite possible. Even for those in good health.

:D

15 degrees is cold as far as im concerned. its 10 outside here and im wearing long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and shawl thingy on top, sweat pants, socks and slippers, thats in a normal second story poorly insulated kibbutz apartment; jack russel dog curled up on the sofa and shivering; just now started using our heater/air conditioner thingy for heat and it keeps shorting out so no heat for our house. 27 is my comfort zone temperature.

my husband is the only thai i know that loves the cold. he is hot. he prefers the window open at night; or a door left open during day. and i freeze.

remember one man/woman's too cold is an other's comfort level and vice versa. and a mostly rice and not alot of animal fat diet, fairly open air housing (wind blowing in everywhere), light weight synthetic blanket... well, every year people in country thailand die of cold.

and anon says that the wind makes it much colder; the wind in korat is cold and most people dont have decent long warm clothes

bina

Can these deaths really be attributed to cold weather ?

An 80 year old succumbs to a heart attack and that's cold related ?

Assuming these people didn't fall into a body of water at what point would hypothermia set in,

I don't even shiver at 10-15 c, (~50 - 60'f), perfect short sleeve weather.

Can these deaths really be attributed to cold weather ?

An 80 year old succumbs to a heart attack and that's cold related ?

Assuming these people didn't fall into a body of water at what point would hypothermia set in,

I don't even shiver at 10-15 c, (~50 - 60'f), perfect short sleeve weather.

There are temperature related deaths every year in the North which is why the likes of the Red Cross and others make such a big deal of donating blankets and warm clothes to the hill tribes etc - it's not unusual to see people huddled around fires at times when a Westerner feels the tempreture is actually quite pleasant. But it's all about what we're used to, if you live most of your life in 32/34 degrees, 15 degrees can be quite a shock.

Unfortunately this means someone has to think beyond today and then do some work. That means it won't happen.

Spot on there..You've nailed it in one..They cannot seem to see beyond TODAY! :)

Unfortunately, your house insulated with bundles of straw is also a very good formula for cremating people inside the house. This is one reason why villagers opt to have metal sheet roofing material instead of thatch roofing.

Sometimes our suggestions - while they are well-meaning, may have other unintended (and deadly) impact. I would refrain from thinking that these villagers are idiots. They may not be as "highly-educated" as you but they know what is good for them.

27 posts already and nobody has mentioned porridge? Where are all the Jocks?

I wonder how many young, and not so young, Thai ladies will now reconsider relocating to Northern Europe with their benefactors. Many Thais have said to me that they would like to know what snow is like. I assure them they they would not enjoy the experience of frozen pipes, blocked roads, possible power cuts (although they must be well used to them), massive electricity and gas bills ect ect.