Fully Canvassed Bespoke Suits Available In Bkk?

Svenn

Are there any higher end tailors in Bangkok that offer more detailed tailoring like full canvassing (sewing of multiple layers of canvas behind the exterior wool, with a chest piece), hand-stitching of cushion behind the lapels, multiple fittings (more than 2), etc? I have a feeling such a suit would have to be >$500 USD even in Thailand because of the labor involved... but it would sure beat having to go Savile Row in London and shelling out 3000 GBP.

I believe it would have to be a cut above Rajawongse and the other popular Indian tailors, maybe July's?

Try Infini on the 3rd floor of Thaiya Plaza. He is a Thai master tailor and if there is anyone who might understand what you want it is him. You won't get it in 24 hrs of course and will be required to do a couple of fittings (at least for suit) but you will love his work.

Good luck and let's hear how you get on.

Try Infini on the 3rd floor of Thaiya Plaza. He is a Thai master tailor and if there is anyone who might understand what you want it is him. You won't get it in 24 hrs of course and will be required to do a couple of fittings (at least for suit) but you will love his work.

Thanks, I actually didn't expect to get any replies! So did you get a suit from him personally? I found the website: http://thaniyaplaza.com/mainThaniya/shoping_detail.php?id=64 Kind of hard to tell from the small pics, but he certainly has some high-end fabrics.

Hi.. I have only had shirts from him (on 2 occasions) and the quality and finish on them is so good that I am prepared to recommend him. As he is a Master Tailor I am sure that he, if anyone, will be able to provide what you want.

Hi.. I have only had shirts from him (on 2 occasions) and the quality and finish on them is so good that I am prepared to recommend him. As he is a Master Tailor I am sure that he, if anyone, will be able to provide what you want.

any price indication? for shirts?

thanks

A recent article in "BK" magazine identified exactly 3 custom shirt tailors in BKK that are noteworthy, and each shirt was priced around $150USD. The article did not identify any tailor that could produce a decent suit. Good luck.

any price indication? for shirts?

thanks

From memory 2000 - 2500 Baht dependant on the chosen material.

Ah, the lovely Britishisms. Does a bespoke suit have spokes, or tokens? Are they made from main-sail canvas? Is Savile Row savage?

Yes, it is a lovely language. Historical words which still have a place in that part of modern society that hasn't been '' dumbed down''

Just search the forum. There are a million tailor threads already and one is quite recent asking the same question.

Read the title of this thread again. I've been watching this forum for 2 years, no one has ever asked about fully-canvassed suits... please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't take me for just a newbie posting the 500th tailoring thread.

Full canvassing is highly labor intensive and creates a fuller, and unfortunately warmer, jacket. The layers of canvas need to move independently of each other for full effect, and the skill to create that is very specialized.

I don't need information on mere bespoke tailors or shirt makers... all I want to know is if anyone provides the full-canvassing service.

Ah, the lovely Britishisms. Does a bespoke suit have spokes, or tokens? Are they made from main-sail canvas? Is Savile Row savage?

FYI (from wikipedia)

Savile Row (pronounced /ˈsævɪl/, both vowels short with accent on the first syllable) is a shopping street in Mayfair, central London, famous for its traditional men's bespoke tailoring. The term "bespoke" is understood to have originated in Savile Row when cloth for a suit was said to "be spoken for" by individual customers.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savile_Row#ci...BusinessWeek1-0 The short street is termed the "golden mile of tailoring",http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savile_Row#ci...BusinessWeek2-1 where customers have included Winston Churchill, Lord Nelson, and Napoleon III

Savile Row was built between 1731 and 1735 as part of the development of the Burlington Estate, and is named after Lady Dorothy Savile, wife of the 3rd Earl of Burlington. It originally ran from Burlington Gardens (then Vigo Lane) to Boyle Street, with houses only on the east side, but in 1937–8 it extended to Conduit Street, and in the 19th century houses were built on the west side.

So, no 'spokes' but 'spoken for' and as to Lady Dorothy Savile's temperament, savage or otherwise, it's anyone's guess.

:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savile_Row#cite_note-3

I got an email from Roger at embassyfashion, his reply was not very detailed but it seems to imply that he does full canvassing, not sure if he uses a chest piece though. Again, I'd prefer a tailor that specifically advertises it if anyone knows of any

I got an email from Roger at embassyfashion, his reply was not very detailed but it seems to imply that he does full canvassing, not sure if he uses a chest piece though. Again, I'd prefer a tailor that specifically advertises it if anyone knows of any

Not sure that I would rely on email replies. Some will just reply with what they think you want to hear.

Time to hoof it to BKK and go and actually see the tailors and then you can put them on the spot. You will also be able to feel the grade of cloth they use and see examples of their work. If you find one that does understand what you want you will be able to get measured properly and get your order on its' way.

Good luck.

See attached - genuine Savile Row hand stitched trousers and jacket - nope, you are not going to get this quality of work in Bangkok, and the one taylor I found who could offer the same material (but ironicaly, not the silk lining for the trousers and the jacket!) wanted nearly twice what it cost in London, but could offer a good copy (which he confided to me they sell a lot of - meaning I have little doubt, as the "genuine stuff") at around about the same as what the genuine would cost in London! Moral of the story: don;t believe all those cloth codes on the bolts they pull out for you to look at - like a lot else in Thailand, they are easily "copied" from the top shelf European bolts.

Break the costs down in London: material 35%, labour 65%

In Thailand: material 85%, labour 15%

Good quality material - yes, but hopelessly impractical for lifestyles in Asia - I think I've worn the jacket and trousers twice in about 15 years.

Would I buy Saville Row again ......... not a chance in hel_l! If I was inclined to spend a lot on a suit or clothing again, I'd get european brandname stuff from one of the big dept stores - Central carries a lot of top shelf European brandname stuff - its good stuff and will last, just you always seem to pay so much more in Thailand for it, which begs the question: if thats what you want, get it back home in Europe.

post-32552-1259176754_thumb.jpg

Good quality material - yes, but hopelessly impractical for lifestyles in Asia - I think I've worn the jacket and trousers twice in about 15 years.

Would I buy Saville Row again ......... not a chance in hel_l!

I wouldn't plan on wearing a fully-canvassed suit anywhere in SE Asia either, but it is good for back home.

So you paid perhaps $3,000 USD for that Chittleborough suit? You're not amazed by the fit? Maybe if a Savile Row suit is all you've ever had, you don't appreciate how much better they are than an off the rack suit from a department store. The latter will undoubtedly have wrinkles, tightness in places, baginess in others, and an overall akward look on an individual unless they by chance happen to match the generic bodytype it was made for.

Full-canvassing's role, I believe, is to thicken up the jacket so there are no dents, wrinkles, or depressions across your torso, accentuating one's chest. The normal lightweight Thai suits can't avoid those problems. I really don't care that much about the fabric, so long as it's heavy, my main concern is for fit: which can only be well-done with labor- lots of fittings, etc. Hence my hope that Thailand would offer it!

• 1 month later...

I would Recommend Romeo and Juliet Tailor’s House I’ve had good experiences with them, they have many good quality fabrics and the staff are kind and not pushy because when I go to other tailors they are really pushy and you don’t get to go around and see yourself and it’s not really comfortable.