Farm Equipment And Multiple Rice Harvests

seppl04

Hi folks !

I did a long search in old threads, however never came exactly to my point of interest. Some threads were even 2-3 years old of people interested to buy certain equipment.

Let me put my questions here and maybe one or the other reads them and is using what I will be asking for and give me some hands on input !

All planning is done for next years harvest though

Thanks in advance to whoever will answer to my thread

1. does anyone have and/ or use Kubota DC-60 plus Rice Harvester. what's the experience

2. does anyone have and/ or use Kubota SPU-68C Ricetransplanter. is it really worthwhile ?

3. how one can get here a 2nd rice harvest ? Guess only with proper irrigation system. Does anyone do it like this and what are costs involved for irrigation and does it finally pay off ?

4. where can one get in LOS a sugar cane harvester ?

Thanks for all the input I hope to get

SEPPL :)

Hello Seppl04,

You have asked good questions in the middle of the busy season.

Quicky answers below.

1. The DC60 harvester is turning out to be a good investment in our area, it's output possibly could be a limiting factor in the area you want to use it.

2. The jury is still out on the transplanter's, most of us in the rice contract business are waiting to see how they perform before we jump in.

3. Water, water, water. without it there is no second or third crop.

4. In all my travels around thailand I have only seen this operating.

http://www.kamolindustry.com/product/index.php?catid=2

very bottom of the page.

Since I am not in the sugarcane business, I have never stopped to enquire about it.

I appologise for the short quicky reply.

Hello Seppl,

Can not help much on the water for 2nd rice question. While we have an extensive water catchment system, the water is destined for using in the rice paddies in the off (dry) season, for growing fodder to feed the cows.

We have yet to put the HDPE piping system in, to be able to put the water where it is needed.

Will probably end up with a diesel powered sprinkler system, similar to Maizefarmer.

Around this area, all the normal pumping is done by 2 wheeled tractors connected by belt to a pump. They are only used after the initial rain fall, if there is a delay between planting and continuation of the rains and they have a small pond to pump out of. There is no central irrigation system in our area.

That style pumping is fine, only if the water is close to the rice paddy.