Tennis Elbow

MrWiggle

I have had tennis elbow a couple times already. The best way that I've found to remedy it is through a combination of rest (stopping playing tennis/racquetball/squash etc.) and swimming on a regular basis. A doctor I know recommended this to me a long time ago and since that time I've advised a number of friends to use swimming as therapy for "medial epicondilitis" or tennis elbow.

Whatever its called, there is no quick fix even tho' a couple friends of mine have used cortisone shots which temporarilly kills the pain. However, the pain does come back in a few months. If you do begin a swimming program, you should notice an improvement with regular activities using the arm (like brushing your teeth, etc.), however, I wouldn't start playing tennis or whatever for at least 6 weeks if you want to get rid of the problem.

I had a tennis elbow for several months, very painful. Did nothing about it except for resting it but it actually just got a bit worse.

Then one day I had a Thai massage and while the girl massaged my shoulder blade, on the same side as my bad elbow, I could feel that the pain suddenly just disappeared.

I could have sworn that the pain was in the elbow but pain is funny that way and the actual cause of the pain can and often is somewhere else. Anyway, this was several months ago and the pain never came back.

As swimming move your shoulder blades around it makes sense that this could ease the pain but have someone give your shoulder a massage. For me the pain disappeared after 5-10 seconds massage in the right spot!!

I had a tennis elbow for several months, very painful. Did nothing about it except for resting it but it actually just got a bit worse.

Then one day I had a Thai massage and while the girl massaged my shoulder blade, on the same side as my bad elbow, I could feel that the pain suddenly just disappeared.

I could have sworn that the pain was in the elbow but pain is funny that way and the actual cause of the pain can and often is somewhere else. Anyway, this was several months ago and the pain never came back.

As swimming move your shoulder blades around it makes sense that this could ease the pain but have someone give your shoulder a massage. For me the pain disappeared after 5-10 seconds massage in the right spot!!

The muscle that causes tennis elbow begins from the wrist, runs through the arm, shoulder and through the back. One of the reasons swimming is great is because it works the entire muscle rather than an isolated part. Its conceivable that a massage could put a displaced muscle back into position. However generally therapy to strengthen the muscle following an adequate period of rest is best. For those of us with limited budgets, swimming is a good alternative to professional therapy. It provides a low impact resistance workout.

Edited by mauiguy90

Overuse. From strumming your sensitive breasts? :)

Seriously...... time and rest from the offending activity. :D

Laugh you may....but it was not from strumming.

While I am able to find the lighter, or senbsitive side to my breasts, such as my wife having a little nibble, the paind of tennis elbow is no laughing matter.

Overuse. From strumming your sensitive breasts? :)

Seriously...... time and rest from the offending activity. :D

Laugh you may....but it was not from strumming.

While I am able to find the lighter, or senbsitive side to my breasts, such as my wife having a little nibble, the paind of tennis elbow is no laughing matter.

I have had tennis elbow on an off for years and thought the only way for relief was not playing. I did not play for months b-4 any relief was felt. I recently was at a ATP event in Miami and found a booth selling wrist magnets. Did not buy thought it was snake oil plus they were expensive. Went home, did the research and made the commitment...they worked wonderfully and I am pain free today. Google search tennis elbow magnets and u will find the research and serveral vendors ......how can strumming be a problem in t-land.

I would like to try a magnet support.

Anyone know where to get them in Bangkok ?

cant help u there , I am still in Miami but, they are not bulky and u should be able to have them shipped to thailand rather easily depending on which vendor u go with...i would not recomend buying the cheapest set but lean more toward the upper end of the range. cheap is not best and you want a good result to get u back out on the court. Most ATP players use these. Regards...

Like many people, when I got tennis elbow a couple of years ago I assumed that rest was the solution. My boss at the time was a regular player of Real Tennis which, apparently, produces a lot of tennis elbow in it's players. He explained to me that a large part of the pain is caused by associated muscles tensing up to try to compensate for the weakness in the tendon concerned, so the more you rest your arm, the more the pain will persist as these muscles gain more dominance. He advised abstaining from whatever activity caused the problem and, meanwhile, exercising your arm with particular emphasis on wide-grip strength and whole-arm stretching. I found that this helped a lot.

The real cure, however, came from a Power Plate - two one minute sessions fixed it completely. I don't know if genuine Power Plates have arrived in Thailand yet (I think the cheap, ineffective copies have), but they are well worth seeking out. Vibragym is the other worthwhile brand.

Once it's fixed there are some quick and easy stretching exercises that you can do mid-game (or mid-whatever usually causes it). The one I use (during squash) is as follows:

1. Stand facing a wall, slightly less than your arm's length away with the palm of your hand (of the affected arm) pressed flat against it and pointing upwards

2. Straighten your arm slowly but firmly until your elbow locks. Hold this position for a few seconds.

3. Keeping your arm fully extended and your hand in place, turn away from the wall until your are at 90 degrees to it with your arm out to the side. Hold for a few seconds.

4. Repeat 2 or 3 times.

I've never tried magnetic bands, but I believe that they work primarily by concentrating your attention on how you are using your arm, rather than having a direct, therapeutic effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mr. Wiggle,

Go to bangkok Bangkapi district at the excellent private Hospital

Vejthani Hospital in 1 LadPrao Road soi 111 www.vejthani.com tel 02734 0000 and you can ask for Dr Chatchawan a smart Orthopedist ( you can see him there on Sundays and Mondays ) but possibly a good physiotherapy combined with the Doctor treatmentthere would be of assistance to you.

I am recommending this Vejthani Hospital ( 400 employees, 500 rooms excellent medical technologie and very good values still ) as I have experienced several of their services for my wife, friends, son's International school people and myself ( broken tibia and ankle repaired after 6 months ) in the past 2 years with great satisfaction.

No hesitation tennis elbow is a pain that can be cured but if not inflammed nerve is a real suffering.

Mention the name BRUNO I am happy to introduce them to you Sir.