Most Romantic Restaurant In Bkk?

silverdales

About some of the places mentioned above:

Rosabieng on Sukhumvit Soi 11 (with the name spelled various ways) is a really nice A/C indoor and outside restaurant with a huge menu of Thai dishes, good food, a nice outdoor patio and small pond with often live (and sometimes LOUD) music, good service and fair prices.

However, the closest I'd say it gets to romantic is they have a (one) wood gazebo and table for dining that sits on the edge of their pond on the edge of their outdoor dining area. I particularly like sitting there, if you can avoid the buzzing mosquitos... But every time I've been lately, that table has been taken, presumably for obvious reasons.

Zanzibar is another place on the same side of Soi 11, left hand side as you walk into the soi, just a block or so in from the main Sukhumvit Road and the Nana BTS station there. It's a largely outdoor place also with usually softer music in the evenings. I've never patronized the place, because every time I've looked, I've seen entree items around 300 baht that probably ought to be priced less, although it certainly would fit within the OP's stated budget. It does seem like a nice place for an outdoors drink on a pleasant evening, but nothing there strikes me as particularly romantic.

The small Thai place Miggy mentions below, (sorry I don't know the name either) is a rather small and quaint place, on a small side soi to the left just before you get to Rosabieng. The food there is Thai and Isan, and the restaurant is located in an old-style wood shophouse. The food strikes me as ordinary Thai and Isan fare, though the style of the serving staff and dish presentations are as Miggy mentions. The prices are quite reasonable, but I'd describe it more as quaint rather than romantic.

That said, everyone has their own idea of what's romantic for them and their partner.

The two main rooftop restaurants/bars in town, Vertigo and Scirroco, have quite nice views on a pleasant night. But the drinks alone there would eat up the OPs budget, and that's before you even get to talking about food. And the similarly tall Baiyoke Tower and its buffet restaurant are high, but anything but romantic (though I can't speak to the other Baiyoke place mentioned above).

I personally like either the river dinner cruise approaches or picking one of the nice riverside/often seafood oriented dining restaurants. You just need to be careful to not get scammed into one of the tourist boat deals, where they charge an arm and a leg for the cruise itself, and then tack on extra charges for mediocre food beyond that. In contrast, there are a number of restaurants with quite nice Chaophraya River cruises where you just pay for your food at the regular restaurant prices, and nothing more. The Dairy Queen restaurant in Thonburi is one of those, and there are others.

if the OP would chime in with what kind of style he think he and his partner would prefer, perhaps we could narrow the field a bit.

ohhh...by the way someone mentioned RotSabiang in Suk 11...the food is alright, but I wouldnt consider the place 'romantic' Not sure if Zanzibar in same soi is still around...for decor that might be a better option. For Thai food in Soi 11, there is a place in the sub soi near the 7-11 ....I forget what its called. Small place, waitresses dressed in old style Thai costume, and they also talk in that old fashioned way, food is served in old fashioned utensils. It feels touristy perhaps, but Ive eaten there lots of times, and the food is authentic, and the atmosphere is certainly close to romantic :)

Rosabieng on Sukhumvit Soi 11 (with the name spelled various ways) is a really nice A/C indoor and outside restaurant with a huge menu of Thai dishes, good food, a nice outdoor patio and small pond with often live (and sometimes LOUD) music, good service and fair prices.

However, the closest I'd say it gets to romantic is they have a (one) wood gazebo and table for dining that sits on the edge of their pond on the edge of their outdoor dining area. I particularly like sitting there, if you can avoid the buzzing mosquitos... But every time I've been lately, that table has been taken, presumably for obvious reasons.

I always seem to get that table, as well as the mosquitoes!!!

I also enjoy L'Opera( on Suk. 39), which is very cozy and reasonable as long as you watch your wine intake. They also let you bring your own bottle for a reasonable corkage charge(300 baht), which is great as long as you don't bring a bottle of Mad Dog...

Edited by mauiguy90

I found Kuppa in Suk 16 to be 'somewhat' romantic too

but food is nothing special. nicer to go for a relaxing afternoon tea and cake :) rather than dinner..... although dinner time lighting isnt too bad, and they did some nice drinks...

if she likes jazz...how about simple food somewhere inexpensive, but followed by drinks at the Bamboo bar at the Oriental Hotel? THE BEST jazz in Asia! (testament by a few friends who are jazz afficianados, and who travel the world on a frequent enough basis to have checked out all the cool places around)

actually...that reminded me of another place. foodwise nothing out of the ordinary, but they always have good live music, a decent wine list and the most friendly staff. the Diplomat bar at Conrad. certainly feels romantic. just find a corner away from the entrance....as its a lobby lounge kinda area..

by the way - Vertigo and Sirocco will always be mentioned on bangkok related nice places to eat/drink

many will have different views to which they feel is better

while I admit that Sirocco has more of that dramatic feel to it with its roman columns and stunning stage above the stairways.....

Vertigo remains my preferred recommendation

staff are friendlier, everything feels more cosy, and the bar area is a little bit more welcoming.

at sirocco you have to put up with these neon blue lights around the bar! and the staff at that place one floor down from the restaurant....whats it called? anyhow they arent as friendly....one that I recall in particular. he was only friendly to the 4 tall French guys that arrived and sat at the seats next to mine :)

Top 3, IMO

Le Normandie

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/di...s/le_normandie/

Giusto

http://www.giustobangkok.com/index.php

Bonjour

http://www.bonjourbangkok.com/

Le Normandie has the advantage of river views from some tables.

If these three on beyond your budget, then an upstairs table at Tapas Cafe, Sukhumvit 11, might do the job.

I don't find the above-mentioned C&C that romantic but the mention reminded me of Crepes & Co, same soi, also nice.

For Thai cuisine, Celadon at The Sukhothai. Over the next three nights only, two visiting chefs (one Thai, one Danish) from Kiin Kiin, a Michelin-starred restaurant in Copenhagen, are hosting special tasting dinners.

http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?coun...mp;news_id=5730

Very nice recommendations but I doubt if one can dine in one of your suggestions for Baht 3,000 for two (tops) as the OP mentioned but it seems there's nothing wrong with your taste Sabaijai :)

Maybe apply for a job with Michelin for the Far East* ? :D

* they even have Chinese secret "tasters" !

LaoPo

Yeah sign me up for that Michelin gig :D

I guess only Tapas Cafe qualifies for 3000 baht for two.

I would add Supatra River House then.

Tapas Cafe on Suk Soi 11 is a nice place, and I/we can sometimes be found there partaking of their two-for-one "happy hour" sangria special, which is quite good and refreshing...

But REALLY, it's hard to say that Tapas belongs in any discussion of the "most romantic restaurants in BKK."

They also have a new place at Silom Soi 4 that I believe is called Spanish on 4 or something like that.

The outside garden at Cabbages and Condoms, with all its twinkling lights and condom ambiance plus pretty decent and well-prepared Thai food, at least begins to get into the arena for romantic.

BTW, I looked online at the post above re the outdoors, 27th floor Roof Restaurant at the Siam&Siam Hotel near MBK, which looks quite nice from the photos on their web site... But I've never been there, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has been... :) Got an anniversary coming up...

Some other suggestions... the Rider Resort's outdoor restaurant with live acoustic music set in a garden of sorts, overlooking a lake... just behind Seacon Square.

And maybe even better, depending on your tastes, is the "To Die For" restaurant and bar located in the H1 Place complex of Soi Thong Lor, just before you get to the canal on the right hand side of the street coming up from Sukhumvit. My choice there is drinks and snacks on their outdoor patio, reclining on pairs of cushioned lounge chairs together while looking up at the stars in the sky, or looking across at your S.O. Good service, outdoor fans to keep you cool. Reasonable prices for drinks and food... A very cool choice.

by the way - Vertigo and Sirocco will always be mentioned on bangkok related nice places to eat/drink

many will have different views to which they feel is better

while I admit that Sirocco has more of that dramatic feel to it with its roman columns and stunning stage above the stairways.....

Vertigo remains my preferred recommendation

staff are friendlier, everything feels more cosy, and the bar area is a little bit more welcoming.

at sirocco you have to put up with these neon blue lights around the bar! and the staff at that place one floor down from the restaurant....whats it called? anyhow they arent as friendly....one that I recall in particular. he was only friendly to the 4 tall French guys that arrived and sat at the seats next to mine :)

everyone always overlooks zense rooftop at central world. Good view, well decorated, within ops budget if they go easy on drink and fairly romantic. Early dinner seating at bed can be pretty nice too, but tha is a matter of taste.

Little issan/thai place on 11 mentioned is the restaurant attached to suk 11 hostel.

Rosabien, crepes and co, and Zanzibar are not great, very pedestrian and only tolerable if bug coils don't make you feel sick.

Maybe T.S. is taking a bit of literary license....

I don't think Rosabieng belongs on anyone's list of most romantic restaurants in BKK....

But...it is a good restaurant, with air con indoor seating as well as outdoor patio seating, live music, a huge menu of pretty good and varied Thai dishes, reasonable prices and in a busy and convenient part of town, Suk Soi 11...

It's also just a barely block up the street from the small Isan place mentioned above, which has decent food and is kind of quaint... but is pretty low on the romance quotient... unless sitting at small tables in a small, kind of cramped space is romance.

I'm not sure about the bug coils comment. I've eaten at both Rosabieng and the Isan place multiple times, and I never remember having or smelling any bug coils there... I do, however, remember getting bitten by mozzies during outdoor seatings at both places.

"Anyone know the most romantic rest in BKK, not silly silly money I mean 3,000 for 2 tops any ideas anyone?"

Since the "Face" restaurant is the only one mentioned by 3 different posters as being the most romantic(assuming it costs less than 3000 baht for 2), does that mean it is the most romantic(under 3000 baht)?

Other places mentioned more than once include Eat Me(2), the Thai-Issan place on Suk 11(2), Tapas(2) and possibly the riverboat dinner cruise(2 different venues). Many other places mentioned but reportedly not within the OP's budget (and mine)...

Of course by now, the OP's girlfriend probably is very hungry. Interesting how no one asked their GF what they considered to be the most romantic restaurant--myself included of course!

Edited by mauiguy90