" Thailand Pass Card' For Domestic Tourism

george

'Thailand Pass Card' for domestic tourism

BANGKOK: -- Transport agencies and companies in both the public and private sectors have joined the 'Thailand Pass Card' Programme, aimed to promote the domestic tourism.

Deputy Transport Minister Phumtham Vejjayachai presided over a ceremony, held here yesterday, in which the transport agencies and companies under the supervision of the Ministry of Transport signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to take part in the programme.

The agencies and companies include Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI), the State Railways of Thailand (SRT), the Transport Company Ltd., the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA), Bangkok Metro Company Limited (BMCL) and Bangkok Mass Transit System Co.

(BTS).

Under the programme, 20,000 'Thailand Pass Card' will be distributed to travellers and tourists between 15 April-15 July to be used as their tickets for domestic transport of the agencies and companies participating in the programme.

Thai travellers and foreign tourists who are initially eligible for the 'Thailand Pass Card' are those who received 20,000 air tickets of THAI, the country's national flag carrier, under its 'Happiness Thailand 2005' Programme between 20 December 2004-28 February 2005.

"The 'Thailand Pass Card' Programme is aimed at promoting the domestic tourism and facilitating the targeted group of travellers and tourists by allowing them to use only the single card as their ticket for all the transport means involved", said Mr. Phumtham.

The Transport Ministry plans to invite Chao Phraya Rapid Boat Co. to join the programme soon to expand the programme's service to cover land, air and waterway transport, according to the deputy transport minister.

"The 'Thailand Pass Card' Programme will pave the way for the 'joint ticket for all means of transport' project, which the government plans to implement in the future", the minister disclosed.

--TNA 2005-04-12

"The 'Thailand Pass Card' Programme is aimed at promoting the domestic tourism and facilitating the targeted group of travellers and tourists by allowing them to use only the single card as their ticket for all the transport means involved", said Mr. Phumtham.

OK - If I get my hands on one of these magic cards, I can use it to ride on the crappy green minibuses in Bangkok, I then use it to fly from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on THAI, and then the card allows me to take the train back to Bangkok? Anybody else think that maybe they left out a detail or three in this story? :o

"The 'Thailand Pass Card' Programme will pave the way for the 'joint ticket for all means of transport' project, which the government plans to implement in the future", the minister disclosed.

I forgot to mention above: Thailand - the hub of one-stop ticketing.

...Thai travellers and foreign tourists who are initially eligible for the 'Thailand Pass Card' are those who received 20,000 air tickets of THAI, the country's national flag carrier, under its 'Happiness Thailand 2005' Programme between 20 December 2004-28 February 2005....

So 20,000 randomly chosen farangs and Thais will get these tickets? :o