Real Dsl Internet By Phone Line In Pattaya, Which Provider ?

frenchFARANGbkk

Hi,

Since I am reading about high speed internet in Pattaya it seems that the only kind available is broadband as 3BB which doesn't need a phone number or phone line to work, but can you tell me if the real DSL internet as in Bangkok is also available in Pattaya? I mean internet that comes through your phone line with a telephone number, the same kind as in the west and the same that provides True corp in Bangkok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_di...subscriber_line

Thanks for info.

All the providers other then Sophon are ADSL, including 3BB. TOT and True are also ADSL.

Why don't you want to go with Sophon? Internet over coax is also very common in the west, what really matters in Thailand is your international speed.

Edited by proximity

The internet from 3bb is regular ADSL and comes trough a regular phone line.

They only do not offer you phone service, which actually is a bonus as you do not have to pay to rent a phone number you are likely never to use!

Both CAT and True do the same over here. True is not allowed to sell phone service (unlike Bangkok), so they just install a phone line over which they bring in ADSL, but again, without a phone number attached.

The internet from 3bb is regular ADSL and comes trough a regular phone line.

They only do not offer you phone service, which actually is a bonus as you do not have to pay to rent a phone number you are likely never to use!

Both CAT and True do the same over here. True is not allowed to sell phone service (unlike Bangkok), so they just install a phone line over which they bring in ADSL, but again, without a phone number attached.

I think I finally cracked the code. "Cable internet" is the term Thais are using when you have ADSL via a phone line without phone service?

I've been wondering about all the references to Triple-B and True being "Cable internet." In the west (or at least in the USA), cable internet is when your cable TV operator provides interent access via the same cable that runs to your house and gives you the TV channels.

Am I close?

Confusing topic....all providers except BTV, Sophon Cable are true ADSL providers. You need a landline in general but with the help of friends or some candy you can get it even without a landline phone number.

Cheers

cable/BB/adsl

What is BB ??

To my knowledge all fixed line internet in Pattaya comes through the telephone line, CAT which is advertised as cable also comes through the telephone line, whilst that may well be "cable" its not the same as the Telstra "cable" i had back in OZ.

True is ADSL2+ i believe.

Both CAT and True install (in Pattaya) with no need for an actual telephone connection though, i have both here and they both ran a fresh wire in from the pole out front. (i have no landline phone here).

Edited by Spoonman

To my knowledge all fixed line internet in Pattaya comes through the telephone line, CAT which is advertised as cable also comes through the telephone line, whilst that may well be "cable" its not the same as the Telstra "cable" i had back in OZ.

True is ADSL2+ i believe.

Both CAT and True install (in Pattaya) with no need for an actual telephone connection though, i have both here and they both ran a fresh wire in from the pole out front. (i have no landline phone here).

Okay, I'll count that as an affirmation that I deduced correctly about "cable internet" being touted here.

no internet over coax. ADSL+2. the problem with ADSL+2 is that the Thai companies add the "2" to the "ADSL" but then for fun, they subtract -5 which in turn, comes out to something more recognizable as ADSL-3.

TOT, True, CAT, 3BB is only as good as the line from the switch to your house. they are all one in the same and if you want to phone home on the interwebs, you're gonna need to spend the extra cash to get on the larger pipe going out to the rest of the world.

bottom line, Thailand is quite far behind the modern world when it comes to internetting. i also think they do weird throttling techniques. they can't supply the demand adequately.

Okay, I'll count that as an affirmation that I deduced correctly about "cable internet" being touted here.

Hopefully you deduced the fact there is no cable internet, adsl and adsl+2 for sure, no cable though.

Yeah, I had previously thought that cable-internet-as-a-commodity-offered-in-the-west was non-existent in the Kingdom, but then folks who I *thought* would know better, started mentioning that these new ADSL offerings were "cable internet." :D Took me a while to figure out they meant ADSL-via-a-phone-line-without-telephone-service.... :)