Soft Drinks To Be Banned In Government Schools In Bangkok

webfact

gallery_327_1086_34232.jpg

Soft drinks to be banned in government schools in Bangkok

BANGKOK, Nov 24 – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) plans to ban carbonated drinks in schools under its umbrella, part of a four-measure strategy to strengthen the health of Thai youth and to prevent obesity among Thai children.

The BMA plans to ban soft drinks in food kiosks around school premises, as soft drinks can lead to bad health such as obesity and tooth decay.

City Hall is now discussing what other types of goods might be prohibited from selling in and around school areas. The authorities are asking for a conclusion by March, the end of the current school term, with its recommendations to be applied the following semester.

According to BMA's the 'Thai Children without Bellies' project, the overnutrition rate among students in the Thai capital has been increasing continuously from 9.55 per cent in 2005 to 10.43 per cent in 2008.

The four-measure strategy will be applied in 435 schools under BMA. It includes having a data system for students' physical development, improving nutrition services, promoting regular exercise, and building connections between school staff and parents.

Teachers and parents are to be trained, and menus, food preparation and kitchen systems will be reorganised in schools with followup to certify that standards are maintained.

Handbooks on guiding children's nutrition will be distributed and networks of teachers and parents will be built in order to raise awareness among children to change their dietary behaviour. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/11/25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

We have long been limiting the amount of cola the young kids drink when we have parties. A study earlier this year reported that it destroyed the potassium in the body, and could cause growth and deformity problems.

...City Hall is now discussing what other types of goods might be prohibited from selling in and around school areas...

Could this mean my local 7-11 will be banned from selling fizzy drinks and snacks to school children, before and after school. :)

This is a great idea (the project, not the 7-11 comment) and should be commended. I hope that resources (both financial and people) will be put into place to allow schools to implement this project. Rather than dumping on the school and expecting them to magically implement it.

I'd be interested (as and educator) to see the details

yeah outside my friends kids school theres literally vendor after vendor of candy, sugary drinks, fried food etc. Some of the kids wobble on up to them spending hundreds of baht on the stuff. Theres kfc and mcdonalds close by so theres more little elephants in there.

Why is it you can only buy diet coke, or pepsi max here in Thailand? I look for other diet products with no sugar content, but they are hard to find here in Phuket. No wonder the government is getting worried with all the sugar in fizzy drinks here. Why not do an 'education' programme highlighting low calorie drinks? Better than banning them

Why is it you can only buy diet coke, or pepsi max here in Thailand? I look for other diet products with no sugar content, but they are hard to find here in Phuket. No wonder the government is getting worried with all the sugar in fizzy drinks here. Why not do an 'education' programme highlighting low calorie drinks? Better than banning them

Regarding your last point (education), the argument that low calorie soft drinks are fattening won't hold as much water. We are removing the drinks because they have zero calories just doesn't have the same impact IMO.

What about potato chips and other junk food, are they on the to be band list as well?

Good job. They also need to get rid of those so called fruit drinks....you know, the ones with 20% real juice, and then pumped up the rest of the way with water and HFCS. Probably worse for you than coke. Same goes with the green tea, with 25% HFCS. Horrendously sweet and deadly.

I think that the least problem is the fizzy drinks...

They should ban all the food vendors outside the schools that sell deep fried food and deep fried vegetables.

The school canteen is probably the most unhealty place you can eat, if it is not deep fried, it is loaded with sugar (have to make it sweet).

Good luck I say, but I don't think that they will win over the locals.

PS. my school has banned the pepsi and soda stands for a few years now... BUT... you can still buy sugar water/sugar tea and don't forget the crisps and other snacks that will do the same harm...

City Hall is now discussing what other types of goods might be prohibited from selling in and around school areas.

If they decide to ban all junk-type foods, that's going to cut most 7-11's and mom/pop stores down to about 10% of their normal stock! Time to start stocking apples!

Lots of things sound sensible, but aren't. Decisions need to be based on concrete facts and data. I have no problem with them not selling soft drinks inside the school--our school stopped doing it years ago. The problem is that they have their own local version of a fruit juice drink that contains a very small amount of flavoring and a tremendous amount of sugar.

Food is invariably deep fried--I can't even get a hot dog that is boiled--they are all fried in oil and usually wrapped in bacon. In front of all the food vendors there is an array of candy and other snacks. There is no fruit available but ice cream and cake is considered a reasonable substitute.

Even most of the milk is sweetened.

I think it's a little extreme to limit the sales outside the school.

As per usual the remedy is banning of things instead of properly addressing the issue - informing people to help them make sensible choices.

And besides, if I am a person of good health, why would I be forbidden to enjoy a glass of my beverage of choice just because some other lard-o cannot keep his fingers away from the chips-bag for more than 5 seconds? And the ban will only inconvenience the ones that has done no wrong - while the clear cases that should need a proper education on the subject will just walk an extra 50m to buy the same items in a shop outside the school...and possibly some more warez so they are sure they don't need to go again later in the day...

As per usual the remedy is banning of things instead of properly addressing the issue - informing people to help them make sensible choices.

And besides, if I am a person of good health, why would I be forbidden to enjoy a glass of my beverage of choice just because some other lard-o cannot keep his fingers away from the chips-bag for more than 5 seconds? And the ban will only inconvenience the ones that has done no wrong - while the clear cases that should need a proper education on the subject will just walk an extra 50m to buy the same items in a shop outside the school...and possibly some more warez so they are sure they don't need to go again later in the day...

And did I read something about them going to Monitor the weight of their students? Somebody has been watching to much Asia's Fastest Loser i think.

The intake of bad food and drinks is not the main cause of increasing obesity in Thai schoolchildren. It's inactivity. The kids are completely addicted to their video games, computer games, internet, and mobile devices. The MOE's should spend some money and provide decent sports facilities for these children. I am amazed at the total lack of organized school sports (other than Sports Day) in the government schools. They need to build some gyms with air conditioning, and get these kids involved in sports. The children are always going to find ways after school to buy sugary soft drinks, crisps and biscuits. These things can be consumed in reasonable moderation by active teens without any health consequences.

I can't cite the source, but sometime ago there was a study done regarding the relationship between watching TV (and I am assuming internet, computer) etc and weight in children. The study found that it is not only the level of inactivity that causes the weight gain, but the fact that children tend to snack more while watching TV.

Schools need to provide nutritious food and help to teach students to eat healthily. The best way to do that is to provide both snacks and lunches which are healthy.

Good job. They also need to get rid of those so called fruit drinks....you know, the ones with 20% real juice, and then pumped up the rest of the way with water and HFCS. Probably worse for you than coke. Same goes with the green tea, with 25% HFCS. Horrendously sweet and deadly.

Sorry to sound dumb - but what is / are (a) HFCS. Only ask cause my daughters live on Green tea drinks.

I can't cite the source, but sometime ago there was a study done regarding the relationship between watching TV (and I am assuming internet, computer) etc and weight in children. The study found that it is not only the level of inactivity that causes the weight gain, but the fact that children tend to snack more while watching TV.

Schools need to provide nutritious food and help to teach students to eat healthily. The best way to do that is to provide both snacks and lunches which are healthy.

Yea, let's follow the American school system lead on that one Scott. :)

Sorry to sound dumb - but what is / are (a) HFCS. Only ask cause my daughters live on Green tea drinks.

I'm guessing he's referring to "high fructose corn syrup," a pretty poor substitute for straight sugar. Just sounds better in the ingredients...

They should ban all the food vendors outside the schools that sell deep fried food and deep fried vegetables.

Absolutely. Many of the street vendors selling fried food use recycled oil which has been discarded by fast-food places. Its pure evil, has particulates which are carcinogenic in addition to the usual health issues with fried foods.

There seems to be a lack of understanding throughout the country regarding the benefits of other forms of cooking over frying. Many fried items could be cooked in other ways.