Strange Happenings With Airport Taxies!

PEP

It's simply immaterial how much you pay for a taxi in London or Ireland or New York or somewhere, where labour, fuel and maintenance costs are MUCH higher. I want to pay the going rate for a taxi in BANGKOK and not a satang more. So I think a 70 or 80 baht extra charge is a huge ripoff and I wouldn't stand for it. Variable traffic conditions (unless it's a real traffic jam in which you don't move forward) would hardly make even a 10-20 baht difference in a run to the airport. I did have one rigged meter a few months ago. On a trip that should have cost no more than 220-230 baht, the meter was up over 300 when I arrived. (So the cost would have been over 350 not even counting tolls.) The driver had covered up the meter during the trip. I told him it was too much and gave him only 300 (ie no surcharge). He just pocketed the money and drove off.

The whole idea of meters is to avoid the need for bargaining and resultant traffic snarls. We do not want to go back 20 years to the meter to hang the hat on era.

Tampered meters are quite easy to spot if you watch the km increments - the normal method to make run fast is a micro switch in springs so when turned on each pothole clicks another .1km so you will see the change in rythem. Action will be taken against those using this, and an inspection easily finds the switch, so most will try to avoid any chance of being reported and either having to remove or risk fine and possible loss of ability to rent taxi again. Let them see you watching the meter and it is likely they will not try to use. And very few taxi have such a switch (but most who do will be out to target easy marks).

I've only ever seen one meter in Bangkok that I am certain was rigged, and that over quite a few years of living here. I don't think meter rigging is common at all (unless it is a new trend on the rise).

I'm afraid it is on the rise. I've seen the ones that go up with bumps in the road, as well as the button method. I agree with Billp that comparing the price of the taxi here to at home is irrelevant, it is in line with the cost of living in each place, which is not comparable. Getting screwed is the same whether it is a big hit to your wallet or not. It is the principle that rankles, and it seems that it is time for the government to step in again.

If you want proof, here's a Thai getting ripped off in a taxi (thanks to the poster who first mentioned this). Look at the number in the upper left hand of the meter, that is the number of Kilometers traveled. They are sitting still at a gas station, but the rate continues to increase. This has become more common in the past six months, and as a result, I now only use a taxi when I absolutely must. If this happens to you, get a picture of the driver card in the window (like the guy in this video does) and get the number of the taxi (it's on a metal plate attached to the inside of the passenger doors, and printed on the exterior of the doors as well). This will help you to bargain down your inflated price at the time, or to lodge a complaint with the tourist police. Good Luck!

Edited by Meridian007

• 2 weeks later...

For those which are living in bangkok at sukhumvit area. To save a headache get in touch with a taxi driver from Nana hotel. They very happy when they get a regular customer for a "live time" which i am. I got his private number and i can call him and send him sms any time from every where in the world for pick up at airport or my bangkok home.

It doesn't matter where you live to be honest. They are happy to drive you.

For those which are living in bangkok at sukhumvit area. To save a headache get in touch with a taxi driver from Nana hotel. They very happy when they get a regular customer for a "live time" which i am. I got his private number and i can call him and send him sms any time from every where in the world for pick up at airport or my bangkok home.

Yes I imagine they would as they are double what it really costs.

There's not many places in the world where the inbound and outbound distances to/from the airport are EXACTLY the same. In my recent experience if city and suburban driving in Bangkok, the outbound route may be totally different from the inbound route due to local traffic conditions, the time of day, one-way street regulations and the way that some interchanges are built.

As for recycling the white paper taxi chits, what's so bad about that? You aren't charged for that 'receipt' and I would surmise that most tourists throw them away in the back of the cab so they get reused a few times.

Wow! NOBODY is getting ripped off here!

I left a laptop in a taxi once from the airport and it was the white slip of paper that enabled me to start tracking it down, which I did succesfully.

However, if the receipts are recycled that would not be possible I wouldnt think.

Check the slip and hang on to it for insurance

Double the price but no headache! :) To much Cheap Charleys in Thailand!!! Money Rules everywherer!

I always have a feeling of dread when I get into a cab at the airport and expect to be ripped off. I once had a meter start at 45baht and thought it was strange..I let it slide as I thought only ten baht and all that..but now I think we really shouldn't let ourselves be taken advantage of like that.

Luckily for me I live a short walk away from the new airport link and won't have to deal with shady airport cabbies anymore.

Thai friends told me that a common way cab drivers rig the meter is via the radio - somehow they push some button, or turn the knob in a certain way, and it makes the meter go faster.
Not all taxi drivers are dishonest, and I'd love to know what this magic button is that changes meters, I'm a cabbie and my meter is sealed and tamper proof.

I would assume it would work the same in Thailand, unless there are no govermental bodies to do checks on meters.

"Why is this so? Who benefits?"

Why didn't you ask the taxi driver?

I have suspected that the official looking booth giving the Taxi driver written instructions and cost are not doing us any favours.

Now I always bypass them and get a Taxi outside with a meter,which in the past has always been cheaper.

Same with how Dom Mueng used to be,the average Traveller gets a false sense of security by using the Ticket booth,and assumes he cant possibly be scammed,and the fare must be correct!

Not in my experience,the Nana Hotel mini bus charges 600 Baht to Dom Mueng as stated on their board outside,last

time I stayed there a green and Yellow Taxi wanted 300 baht for a 60 baht journey to Wireless Road.

Double the price but no headache! :) To much Cheap Charleys in Thailand!!! Money Rules everywherer!

In plain English with depth of the English language, Cheap Charlie means: Not wanting to throw your money away or allow yourself to be ripped off.

I've only ever seen one meter in Bangkok that I am certain was rigged, and that over quite a few years of living here. I don't think meter rigging is common at all (unless it is a new trend on the rise).

I think it is a new trend.

I have been in and out of BKK annually for last 18 years - living here last 2.

I get my slip, hop in the taxi, and 190-220 baht later I am where I need to be.

Never had a problem with taxis until 9 months ago.

I got my slip, hopped in, he asked 'where to?" and I told him Sukhumvit, he said 550 baht.

I said "No, turn meter on please"

He said meter too much. He give better price - 550.

I told him I am regular, please put meter, or else no problem, I'll hop out and get a new cab.

He put on the meter.

I sat back and relaxed, and when I got to Sukhumvit, it was 450 baht on the meter. Taxi driver smiling.

Ripped off.

Watch the Suvarnabhumi taxis like a hawk.

In plain English with depth of the English language, Cheap Charlie means: Not wanting to throw your money away or allow yourself to be ripped off.

Or in other words: 30.000 Baht Fallangs! :D

I did not mean to get a Nana Taxi for a short journey. Like i sayed bevore they a very good for rides to the airport or pattaya. Always when i fly in from somewhere in the world i just send my guy an sms a day bevore with arrival time and flight numbe and i can be 1000% shore that he will be there. No headach with stuppid Isaan Taxi Thais which also might want to rip you off.