Urgent: 10 Day Extension Of 15-day Visa On Arrival Needed

My Japanese friend arrived 3 weeks ago for her 2nd trip to Thailand in 6 years on a 2 month single entry visa. She went to Burma at Tachilek and didn't know that she'd only get 15 days when she came back to Thailand. Her flight out is on Dec 6. Her 15 days are up tomorrow, Nov 26, so it's 10 days to go to her flight. She's doing a course in BKK right now, so a quick visa run is not really an option.

Is there any problem getting a 10-day extension?

How much is it?

Which paperwork is required? (I assume airplane ticket, passport, 1 copy thereof, 1 photo)

How long does the process usually take?

Is this the correct place: Rasa Tower 2555 Phahonyothin Road16th Floor?

I'd be grateful for quick replies and any additional information , she needs to get it tomorrow, and it needs to work out on the first attempt.

She should have obtained a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand to preserve the remaining days on her 60 day permission to stay. Maximum extension she might be able to obtain is 7 days with air ticket out of the country within that period. She will have to do a border run and obtain new entry.

Thanks for the replies so far, although I found this in the pinned thread which talks about a possible extension of 7-15 days:

jayenram writes in 2006:

30 day entry stamp : At the discretion of the immigration officer this may be extended for up to 7-15 days at an immigration office after which time the holder must leave the Kingdom.
The post is 3 years old - anyone knows if it's outdated? What's the current policy of the immigration office?

Thanks for the replies so far, although I found this in the pinned thread which talks about a possible extension of 7-15 days:

jayenram writes in 2006:

30 day entry stamp : At the discretion of the immigration officer this may be extended for up to 7-15 days at an immigration office after which time the holder must leave the Kingdom.
The post is 3 years old - anyone knows if it's outdated? What's the current policy of the immigration office?

That information is not correct. As advised, 7 days maximum at discretion of immigration officer.

jayenram writes in 2006:

That information is not correct. As advised, 7 days maximum at discretion of immigration officer.

Thanks for the clarification thaiphoon. Looks like she'll have to bite the bullet and go for a border run or risk the overstay. I'll advice her to hop on the bus for Poipet.

The border at Aran/Poipet is very busy and can be a hassle for a new traveller. She will also need to obtain a visa for Cambodia. Would recommend she considers using the services of a visa run company who will take care of everything (including visa) for her. Many companies advertise in the classifieds section of the Bangkok Post, or you can search the forum for more information. Cost around 2,000 baht all in.

The border at Aran/Poipet is very busy and can be a hassle for a new traveller. She will also need to obtain a visa for Cambodia. Would recommend she considers using the services of a visa run company who will take care of everything (including visa) for her. Many companies advertise in the classifieds section of the Bangkok Post, or you can search the forum for more information. Cost around 2,000 baht all in.

Thanks again, Thaiphoon. Yes, that's what I had in mind for her - I'm searching for such companies right now. Please post or pm me, if you know one or two of the more reputable ones. Would save me reading a lot of conflicting reports... Companies departing from Sukhumvit rd or BTS/MRT stations preferred.

Edited by thaiphoon
Typo corrected

She could just get the 7 day extension at immigration (1900Baht) and then pay overstay fine when flying out (1500Baht) then no visa run needed.

:) I think it is not a good proposal for a lady. This weekend would be serious check points in Bangkok (they say even if red-shirt postphoned the ralley to respect the birthday of his majesty on 5th) and if she get in a police control she would risk jail .........!!! She must be sure reach Airport with a overstay.

Edited by thaibear1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know what happened to my Japanese friend:

After I had sorted through your good advice, I suggested to her that she should go to the with JackGolf to Poipet on the last day of her 15 day-stamp, which was Thursday, Dec 3rd. She agrees, but calls her teacher, as she would miss class on that day. He tells her she couldn't possibly do that. She should overstay a couple of days :D and go on Saturday. She, being a good Japanese girl, follows the teacher's advice :D .

So, Saturday comes. She's in a taxi early enough, but somehow doesn't find the bus. Too many 7/11s on Sukhumvit, and she had forgotten that she should go to the one on the corner of Soi 12 :D .

Next day she goes to Ekamai and catches the regular blue bus to Aranyaprathet. Lucky for her she met a dozen Philippinas who know the border proceedings well, so no problems to be in and out of Cambodia in reasonable time without any incident.

By then she was 3 days over her visa but I guess the Thai immigration officers took pity on a young Japanese lady - she never got charged the 3x500 THB fine :D . She's now back in Japan, so the case is closed.

I just wonder why I bothered to trouble all you guys for help if she did her own thing anyway and lucked out with everything.... Girls! I can't see any other explanation for it :) .

At least you gave her all the options and it is better to have sound advice even though you don't use them

She certainly thanks you for thetrouble you went in to help her and indirctly thanks the nice people who answered your call

By then she was 3 days over her visa but I guess the Thai immigration officers took pity on a young Japanese lady - she never got charged the 3x500 THB fine :) .

I don't think it had anything to do with pity. I would guess the immigration officer just made a mistake.

A few weeks back on a Cambodia border visa down at Ban Pakkad one guy who was 5 days over got through without paying the overstay, but when he came back through they charged him.