Thailand Won't Negotiate With Cambodia As Long As Thaksin Advises

webfact

This is the old politics as Surakiart was a TRT Thaksin FM. Cambodia, as with the UAE and other corrupt ratholes are in the bottom rankings of governments globally. The Thai government is acting within its perogatives and in this instance is pursuing sound and rational policy. Stay the course.

"Cambodia, as with the UAE and other corrupt ratholes are in the bottom rankings of governments globally...?" (do you want to see photos of global leaders, all shaking hands, enthusiastically, with the Sheiks ?)

..hmmm.. maybe another Arab Emirate like Qatar isn't on your list of corrupt ratholes?

Thai PM wants more citizens working in Qatar

Web posted at: 11/27/2009 1:9:41

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_n...00911271941.xml

Qatar is ruled with total power in the hands of the absolute monarch, Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani; nice chap, who disposed his own father from power in 1995.

Apart from that it remains to be seen if the present number of 12,000 workers in Qatar will increase; the now exploded bubble of practically bankrupt Dubai is seeing planes full of people (including many Thai workers -10,000 in the UAE at the beginning fo this year) leaving the Arab Emirates, not full with arriving workers.

So: the remark of Minister of Foreign Affairs Kasit Piromya that NO negotiations should be opened with a "rathole" country is rather amusing if at the same time his own PM is talking nonsense about increasing the number of workers in (a rathole country) Doha, isn't it ? :)

"Stay the course"...what a nonsense; you're clearly not a politician but rather a hardliner, aren't you Publicus ?

Ever heard of CONSENSUS in politics ? :D

But, I'm sure you will disagree with this as I never noticed anything by you, opening up for someone else's opinion, and that says more about you than the other posters :D

LaoPo

My god.

My statement was about the UAE and Cambodia only. Everyone knows the UAE is where Thakki has been hanging out in its northern city of Dubai. Everyone knows Cambodia is Thaksin's new base of insurrection in SE Asia.

However, now you have gone greatly far afield to try to intersperse my statement about the UAE with Kasit's statements about Doha, while also throwing in yet another Gulf state Qatar, about which the PM has made his own remarks. Neither Doha nor Qatar are housing Kuhn Takki. UAE is doing so to its great fudiciary gain and benefit, and UAE is the focus of my remarks and in the Gulf is the only Gulf state I've referenced.

For instance, you state that "the statement of Foreign Affairs [Minister] Kasit Piromya

that NO negotiations should be opened with a rathole [my word] country is rather amusing at the same time his own PM is talking nonsense about increasing the number of workers in (a rathole country) Doha isn't it?" Kasit referred to Doha as a "rathole country"? He most certainly did not, I did.

I know consensus and compromise but I also know wild and irresponsible attempts to take a point I made far afield, and so far afield and incredulously that I dignify your mangled and convoluted post by even responding to it. Your post is not only rediculous, it is assinine [sic].

Good nite.

You mentioned your academic and lifetime experiences and achievements in an earlier thread. Have you ever considered a course in anger management. :D

( PS Laopo, are you sure he teaches English. I would not have thought so reading his posts)

...Mea Culpa..... :D NO, I am not (so) sure if the esteemed Publicus teaches English at a Chinese University.....but he claims so himself in his profile so who am I to doubt that ?

LaoPo :D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks caf for plugging my profile statement but it isn't necessary to do so in public, and the "esteemed" tag is a bit over the top :D but if you insist who am I to decline any honoriffic you in your wisdom might choose to bestow on moi? :D

To the point, Surakiart was an academic who was lost at the foreign ministry. He wasn't the run of the mill TRT crony but neither was he a Surin who as we know recently is over at Asean in Jakarta.

So pardon me if I reject glib and boilerplate rhetoric to the point that the posters become frustrated enuff to focus on the person rather than the content of replies, as has been occurring of late as the reds and Thaksin struggle with their desperate judgements, ill considered and timed "rallies" and with their leader Thaksin the Cambodian. There just isn't any response to the reality that Takki needs to be fitted for a straight jacket.

I mean, to reference another thread, can you picture Takki standing there with a Thai.................... :)

Check your facts. The Uk held talks with argentina before despatching troops. Activation occured when teh argentinians stormed teh governor's residence during the talks. Even then talks wenr on until the last minute.

Out of interest, what was your source?

My sources were the daily news clips of boats being sunk and harriers flying about. Pray tell me, where did all the polite negotiating get the UK government? Are you denying the war ever took place? Didn't the Thai government ask Hun Sen not to give the job to Thaksin before it took any action? Wasn't it only after they thumbed their noses at Thailand that the diplomatic argie bargie (no pun intended) began? Borges described the Falklands war as "two bald men fighting over a comb". In this case it's two figuratively bald men, Hun Sen and Thaksin, trying to break Thailand's comb because they're jealous of its full head of hair.

The news clips you refer to were of course during the war. The fact remains that talks to avoid that conflict were taking place prior to the start.

Check your sources prior to declaration of war.

Thanks caf for plugging my profile statement but it isn't necessary to do so in public, and the "esteemed" tag is a bit over the top :D but if you insist who am I to decline any honoriffic you in your wisdom might choose to bestow on moi? :D

To the point, Surakiart was an academic who was lost at the foreign ministry. He wasn't the run of the mill TRT crony but neither was he a Surin who as we know recently is over at Asean in Jakarta.

So pardon me if I reject glib and boilerplate rhetoric to the point that the posters become frustrated enuff to focus on the person rather than the content of replies, as has been occurring of late as the reds and Thaksin struggle with their desperate judgements, ill considered and timed "rallies" and with their leader Thaksin the Cambodian. There just isn't any response to the reality that Takki needs to be fitted for a straight jacket.

I mean, to reference another thread, can you picture Takki standing there with a Thai.................... :)

Actually I had not read your profile before penning a reply. My comments were based on your posts.

But I have now read it. Would it not be possible for you to expand upon it. And tell us a bit about yourself. Don't be shy. :D:D

Actually I had not read your profile before penning a reply. My comments were based on your posts.

But I have now read it. Would it not be possible for you to expand upon it. And tell us a bit about yourself. Don't be shy. :D:D

Almost all of this page has been about such matters and places as Nicaragua, Argentina, Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Georgia, UK, a distant war or two of 20-30 years ago etc etc. And if you wanna know more about me, wait till my memoirs are published. :D

The matter at hand is that Abhisit is pursuing and protecting Thai sovereignty against the provocations of Hun Sen together with Thaksin the Cambodian.

Almost all of this page has been about such matters and places as Nicaragua, Argentina, Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Georgia, UK, a distant war or two of 20-30 years ago etc etc. And if you wanna know more about me, wait till my memoirs are published. :D

The matter at hand is that Abhisit is pursuing and protecting Thai sovereignty against the provocations of Hun Sen together with Thaksin the Cambodian.

Have to wait then, will we not? Any idea on timescale for the autobiography. How far have you got?

The matter is actually about negotiation and you seem to admit now that Abhisit is not doing that but pursuing an anti-taksin policy. And only one side was provoking?

You're kidding, right ? ....."Abhisit is <snip> protecting Thai sovereignty...." Is exaggerating your specialty ? :)

Protecting Thai sovereignty against a small tiny underdeveloped country with a population of less than 14,5 million people versus Thailand's 66 million?; with a life expectancy of M60/F64 (versus Thailand's M70/F74) in this deadly poor country? :D

Come on, it's minor small time politics between 2 neighbouring countries, nothing more nothing less.

Within 1 or 2 years, possibly sooner, you will see the -then- Thai PM having tea with Hun Sen or his successor.

Teaching drama isn't yet on your CV ?

LaoPo

You're kidding, right ? ....."Abhisit is <snip> protecting Thai sovereignty...." Is exaggerating your specialty ? :)

Protecting Thai sovereignty against a small tiny underdeveloped country with a population of less than 14,5 million people versus Thailand's 66 million?; with a life expectancy of M60/F64 (versus Thailand's M70/F74) in this deadly poor country? :D

Come on, it's minor small time politics between 2 neighbouring countries, nothing more nothing less.

Within 1 or 2 years, possibly sooner, you will see the -then- Thai PM having tea with Hun Sen or his successor.

LaoPo

Laopo, you should have highlighted the word yet.

"Teaching drama isn't yet on your CV ?"

This is the old politics as Surakiart was a TRT Thaksin FM. Cambodia, as with the UAE and other corrupt ratholes are in the bottom rankings of governments globally. The Thai government is acting within its perogatives and in this instance is pursuing sound and rational policy. Stay the course.

Others see the present Thai government behaving like a spoilt schoolboy deprived of his favorite toy! If Cambodia, the UAE are indeed at the bottom ranking of governments globally, where do you see this present bunch of clowns that represent Thailand standing?

Problems are not solved by slouching in the corner sulking, nor by ripping up International agreements in a fit of pique, but by engaging in honest, frank discussion.

Honestly and frankly, not to mention rational to say, Thaksin, Hun Sen and the crown of Cambodia are off the wall in their behaviours. The threesome are engaging in actions that are undiplomatic and anti diplomatic, behaviours and actions that are menacing to Thailand. Cambodia's recent actions are irresponsible and destablizing.

The Abhisit government has made responses which are smooth, appropriate and in the interests of national security and stability.

You can not effectively run a country as a chronic liar for very long.

Sure most all National Leaders to lie in public and to their constituents,

but it is a matter of degree and reasoning behind it that is most important.

Often labeled; public safety, economic imperative and diplomacy.

Like yelling fire in a crowded theater.

You don't announce that the whole country will die of the plague in 3 weeks...

You do tell people to be extra cautious, in certain ways, because something bad but not catastrophic will happen.

Thus you make the situation less dangerous and don't cause wide spread panic

and close down all functioning by a madly panicked populace.

On the other hand you don't hide facts to save face because,

'your people don't need to know anything' and we look bad

as a country if we say anything, or worse we lose money if we say anything...

Hun Sen and Takki are acting off the wall, they are not acting like rational national leaders,

so the response to their provocations can't be from the typical diplomatic playbook.

Edited by animatic

Others see the present Thai government behaving like a spoilt schoolboy deprived of his favorite toy! If Cambodia, the UAE are indeed at the bottom ranking of governments globally, where do you see this present bunch of clowns that represent Thailand standing?

Problems are not solved by slouching in the corner sulking, nor by ripping up International agreements in a fit of pique, but by engaging in honest, frank discussion.

Honestly and frankly, not to mention rational to say, Thaksin, Hun Sen and the crown of Cambodia are off the wall in their behaviours. The threesome are engaging in actions that are undiplomatic and anti diplomatic, behaviours and actions that are menacing to Thailand. Cambodia's recent actions are irresponsible and destablizing.

The Abhisit government has made responses which are smooth, appropriate and in the interests of national security and stability.

Ripping up international agreements and not engaging in sensible discussion is hardly a smooth and appropriate response in the interests of national security and stability is it, publicus?

Maybe not... this hits Hun Sen where he hurts MONEY.

He desperately wants that oil in the sea and not having an aggressive neighbor

preventing him from getting a oil extraction deal in place.

Maybe he foolishly bet Thaksin could do this BIG oil deal faster if he were back in power,

but the up shot is the oil fields are now a mine field for him of the Killing Fields.

The news clips you refer to were of course during the war. The fact remains that talks to avoid that conflict were taking place prior to the start.

Check your sources prior to declaration of war.

The fact remains that when talks broke down a war ensued. The UK government demanded that Argentina leave the islands. Argentina said no, so the UK went to war with them. The Thai government requested that Cambodia not employ a man already convicted on one charge, and with others pending, and who has the stated aim of destabilising that government. Cambodia said no, so Thailand withdrew its ambassador and threatened to cancel joint agreements. Who is over reacting? It's ironic that a poster may have no qualms about deriding the efforts of the Thai government, but gets so touchy when it's pointed out that his own has behaved far worse.

Nice group of red shirts attacked a government minister today - article is in the BKK Post. These guys are scum, and those who support them are the same.

Ehm, check the subject title? This topic is about the Thai government's handling / mishandling of foreign relations. You're off topic.

Let's wait for The Nation's version, I'm sure it will be posted here. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Nice group of red shirts attacked a government minister today - article is in the BKK Post. These guys are scum, and those who support them are the same.

Ehm, check the subject title? This topic is about the Thai government's handling / mishandling of foreign relations. You're off topic.

I agree. The incident is worthy of its own thread.

But I have now read it. Would it not be possible for you to expand upon it. And tell us a bit about yourself. Don't be shy. :):D

Couldn't care less if you want to go completely off topic and try to belittle another member and make it personal - moderators' job to care about that stuff - but perhaps you should cut back on your moaning about other members going off topic and getting personal. It's extremely hypocritical.

What is even more funny, is the said country of 14.5 million can make the leaders of Thailand turn purple with anger....

That's exactly the point.

The Abhisit government cannot even handle a Hun Sen, stepping on some Thai toes. Surely a highly educated man like Abhisit should know better and control the present situation more clever than what he's doing now.

Hun Sen got exactly what he was aiming for; make Thailand angry. We shouldn't forget that Hun Sen is a very shrewd individual and a survivor in Cambodia's own minefields. He plays politics better than Abhisit.

Not that he's a finer Gentleman....au contraire :)

LaoPo

LaoPo

Two jokers are wild around here, sullying the deck, a tag team having fun amusing themselves and slapping one another on the back, yanking each other into mutual fun and games that haven't any end. :D:D

The government already has pointed out the obvious reality that Takki knows the Thai position in relation to the oil fields and also likely has some knowledge of some of the positions of interested companies vis a vis the two countries. Thaksin the Cambodian is giving every appearance of knowingly and directly acting against the interests of the country in this and in other ways. Remember Asean/Pattaya, also Black Songkran? Just to name a few actions of the same nature and character.

Hurts doesn't it! :D

LaoPo

Two jokers are wild around here, sullying the deck, a tag team having fun amusing themselves and slapping one another on the back, yanking each other into mutual fun and games that haven't any end. :D:D

The government already has pointed out the obvious reality that Takki knows the Thai position in relation to the oil fields and also likely has some knowledge of some of the positions of interested companies vis a vis the two countries. Thaksin the Cambodian is giving every appearance of knowingly and directly acting against the interests of the country in this and in other ways. Remember Asean/Pattaya, also Black Songkran? Just to name a few actions of the same nature and character.

1. I wasn't joking; you were exaggerating.

2. "Thailand Won't Negotiate With Cambodia As Long As Thaksin Advises" have you seen the news, Ahbisit and Hun Sen having conversations with one another ?

Now......who said (see my past post) that they would have tea together within one or two years? I was way too pessimistic :D

Have a nice day and it must really hurt you to see that Thailand/Abhisit is already talking to Cambodia/Hun Sen.

Ah well, the soup you know..... :D

LaoPo

Two jokers are wild around here, sullying the deck, a tag team having fun amusing themselves and slapping one another on the back, yanking each other into mutual fun and games that haven't any end. :):D

1. I wasn't joking; you were exaggerating.

2. "Thailand Won't Negotiate With Cambodia As Long As Thaksin Advises" have you seen the news, Ahbisit and Hun Sen having conversations with one another ?

Now......who said (see my past post) that they would have tea together within one or two years? I was way too pessimistic :D

Have a nice day and it must really hurt you to see that Thailand/Abhisit is already talking to Cambodia/Hun Sen.

Ah well, the soup you know..... :D

LaoPo

Apparently some among us have inside sources are well connected to and hand to hand with the 'right' people.

Oh yeah, that's right, you are prescient! Not to mention a devotee of the convicted fugitive former PM Thakki :D

Maybe not... this hits Hun Sen where he hurts MONEY.

He desperately wants that oil in the sea and not having an aggressive neighbor

preventing him from getting a oil extraction deal in place.

Maybe he foolishly bet Thaksin could do this BIG oil deal faster if he were back in power,

but the up shot is the oil fields are now a mine field for him of the Killing Fields.

In a Bangkok Post article* on 13 November 2009, Suranand Vejjajiva mentions a conversation he had with former foreign minister Surakiart Sathirathai. Paraphrasing (as one must), the substance is that the 2001 MOU contained several advantages [the context suggests he's referring to advantages for Thailand] - which include a provision that both parties were obliged to reach agreement before any activity was allowed in the disputed marine areas. Further, with Thailand abrogating the MOU, hands were no longer tied and Cambodia could act on its own - i.e. without Thai agreement.

Granted that most oil/gas-field developing companies would want assurance before investing many millions of dollars that they wouldn't be left with a legal "dry hole"...... it does IMO suggest that Thailand also has significant national interests to lose - even if it's not clear yet if they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Food for thought.........

*An Op-Ed piece - as with most of his writing this article is well-balanced and contains useful points/insights that most of The Nation's coverage still seems incapable of providing.

<snip>

Oh yeah, that's right, you are prescient! Not to mention a devotee of the convicted fugitive former PM Thakki :D

Can't wait to see the grounds for this latest bout of mud-slinging - but then I'm still waiting to see even a scrap of evidence for the same accusations flung at me. Easy to talk the talk, seems walking the walk comes harder........ :)

<snip>

Can't wait to see the grounds for this latest bout of mud-slinging - but then I'm still waiting to see even a scrap of evidence for the same accusations flung at me. Easy to talk the talk, seems walking the walk comes harder........ :)

Takki waddles the waddle for everyone to see, as many of us have seen, and lets his hundreds of USD$ millions do the talking and very loudly so. Remember deep throat - follow the money. Jerry Mcquire and his 'show me the money' client!

You guys keep us posted in advance with your inside, known only by a small circle of farang scoops and priviliged info. :D

Yeah maybe agreements are abrogated, and nothing was written ins tone, as Kuhn Devakula noted last week.

That also doesn't mean the Cambodians can run off the Thai Navy, and do as they like in disputed areas.

I don't see that as a win for Hun Sen except maybe in his head. You can NOT get oil platforms drilling

and pumping oil when your neighbors say it ain't happening in OUR sea lanes....

The oil companies won't drill as long as the territorial waters are in such dispute. That would likely hurt the Cambodians far worse than the Thais.

The real resolution is to draw up some reasonable maritime borders and do away with the cockamamie lines drawn by the French decades ago. Cambodian's claim (based on the French-drawn lines) that their border juts out at a right angle and encompasses tens of thousands of square miles of the Gulf of Thailand is absurd.

Apparently some among us have inside sources are well connected to and hand to hand with the 'right' people.

You can't discuss anymore and escape to the door where it says: attack....

Becoming more and more pathetic, accusing me of something I'm not.

Apart from that you're constantly using nicknames for a former PM, whether he was bad or not, and that's something not appreciated on the forum; name a person by his proper name or don't do it at all.

It's "not done"; always try to keep your style and class. You should know, teaching students..... :)

LaoPo

You can't discuss anymore and escape to the door where it says: attack....

Becoming more and more pathetic, accusing me of something I'm not.

Apart from that you're constantly using nicknames for a former PM, whether he was bad or not, and that's something not appreciated on the forum; name a person by his proper name or don't do it at all.

It's "not done"; always try to keep your style and class. You should know, teaching students..... :)

LaoPo

If you read another thread you would know Thakki is now one of Thasksin's new passport names,

and the mods have not called anyone on this name, because it is now an official name for Thaksin.

So flaming with the word pathetic is really not part of this discussion, is it?

Takki IS his proper name now :)