Condominium Buying

Dear Forum,

When buying a condominium in Thailand can the title be put in both names. The reason is to give myself a value of safety. I don't want to come home one day and have her throw me out and I have nothing to stand on, this is just a way of checks and balances. This way she can say that the condominium is hers and I can say that it's mine. Does anyone have information on this topic. Thanks.

Bill

You as a foreigner can register your ownership of the condo only when you're buying it with the money you brought from overseas and you need a document known as "Thor Thor 3" issued to verify the source of fund. A real estate broker can help you with issuing this document.

When I bought mine two years ago I had my unit registered only under my name but the land department official told my Thai wife that she is entitled to the ownership whether or not her name is on the title deed.

Dear Forum,

When buying a condominium in Thailand can the title be put in both names.  The reason is to give myself a value of safety.  I don't want to come home one day and have her throw me out and I have nothing to stand on, this is just a way of checks and balances.  This way she can say that the condominium is hers and I can say that it's mine.  Does anyone have information on this topic.  Thanks. 

Bill

I bought my condo 10 months ago. I was informed that a Tor Tor 3 form was not required anymore, but proof of the transfer of funds from o/seas was required. The particular condo was already owned by a foreigner, so I could buy it without any extra paperwork. The real estate agent suggested that I put it in my name only, so that I could sell it at a later date with a "Foreign Owned Title" again. They informed me that a condo with a foreign owned title will fetch a higher price than the same condo in my wife's name ( Thai owned).

A foreigner can own a condo without being married to a Thai.

Edited by mynot