Closest Ski Resort To Thailand?

ChiangMaiThai

South Korea is probably the best, good resorts and certainly a lot cheaper than Japan, a visa is required for Japan for some nationalities but not not many require visas for South Korea, including Thais.

I skied in South Korea earlier this year, most enjoyable.

It's a pity you're not based in Bangkok, Central World is having an exhibition of all the South Korean ski resorts.

I've been doing some research... here is what I have established.

Muju in S. Korea - But if you are a decent skier then this might not suffice. The runs are short, its more of a weekend play time for city koreans than a week long ski resort like Europe.

Shiga Kogen in Japan (Honshu - a few hrs from Tokyo to Negano) is apparently an excellent place to ski, but its quiet at nights.

Niseko in Hokkaido (Nr Sapporo) - Lots of Auzzie tourists, good powder, longer season than the rest of Japan (needs an internal flight from Tokyo to Sapporo).

All are about a 6 hr flight... then some further traveling is needed, trains etc.

I'm told, If you area good skier forget about Korea.

Sorry not sure how long it's on for, whilst they were still setting up today there will be Beer Gardens on the site soon.

We stayed in Yongpyong which was, as I recall two to three hours by bus, was very good and pretty high, even had night skiing, there were resorts nearer Seoul but we were recommended to go to this one, and I'm glad we did.

Edit - forgot to add that there was plenty of English spoken.

Edited by theoldgit

I heard somewhere that Korea is one the driest countries in the region and all snow at the resorts is infact artificial, is this true?

I have also heard that skiing in Japan is actually alot cheaper than one might imagine, also the onsen to soak after a day on the slopes must be wonderful.........

I used to ski twice a year, but havn't been in 8 years sine moving to Thailand, when my little one is old enough I plan to have our first family ski holiday in Japan...........

Could others with children let me know, what is the youngest age that is reccommended kids can start ski school? They are so cute with their crash helmets on....lol

I heard somewhere that Korea is one the driest countries in the region and all snow at the resorts is infact artificial, is this true?

There certainly are snow cannons there but we had fresh snow when we were there in January, and there was plenty of snow on the roof tops.

Japan and Korea would probably be the nearest ski resort areas and as Japan has hosted the winter olympic games

in Nagano Prefecture.

Nagano should be well suited for any foreigners to visit as the residents and businesses their has gotten the

trainings (courtesy of service) for Hosting the games.

womble

let's go skiing, count me in....

heading for japan or china.... ?

which one has the highest altitude and the driest snow flakes....?

i like the feel of powder spewing up all over my long breaded hair and mustache and frozen everything in between.... lol

gee weeez.... that would be like... reliving the wonderful days of my youth all over agian.... wonder if there is any ski bunny there....? lol

Could there be ski possibilities in Burma? The country certainly has mountains which are high enough.

Also a flight from Bangkok to Calcutta/India, and then a bus or train to Darjeeling would bring you to the snow quickly, but I don't know if you can ski there.

keestha

i just love to ski virgin mountain.... spending more than half a day, about six hours, climbing up to the very top,

and it just took about 60 minutes to chute down the 10,000 feet vertical face.... lol

i sure would be interested to ski the vertical again.... if there is an avid ski buddy or bunny.... lol in thaivisa

is there?

don't worry.... i regularly conquered moguls 15 to 20 feet tall all the time during my youth.... lol and i have had season tix in dear valley, snowbird, aspen, squaw valley, sun valley at clint eastwood resort and backyard and what is that ski resort at lake tahoe....?

apparently i was also blessed to the extreme not to ever have any serious accident during those dare devil years.... lol

well, my rear entry, bright-orange-color hansen booth really needs to be retro fitted with new wax bladder....

anyone knows a reasonable snow ski shop around the tropical....? lol

Edited by nakachalet